2023 TDF potential spoliers- watch the latest stage before reading

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Pendodave

Re: 2023 TDF potential spoliers- watch the latest stage before reading

Post by Pendodave »

Surprised...
Me too, and although any professional cycling entails a certain suspension of disbelief, I'm a little bit too surprised about this one...
Hey ho, well see. Hopefully the next couple of days are entertaining viewing at least.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Adam Yates up to 3rd but will he be sacrificed to aid Pog. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Haven't been that surprised since Pog did similar to Rog at Super Planche des Belles Filles, which was another case of a good day at the office upended by an absolutely spectacular day at the office (as was Rog/G at this year's Giro, though not quite to the same degree).

I think Arsene Wenger's comment when interviewed by ITV4's Daniel Friebe summed it up, it won't be fair on whoever comes second. Though of course Remco's Giro was looking pretty copper-bottomed until he got the lurgy so anything can happen.

I like Pog a little more than Jonas, but I prefer Dutch supermarkets to petrostate sport-washing. May the best rider on the day(s) win, and please no nasty crashes/mechanicals/eejit fans etc. affecting the result.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Still not sure what the final podium will be!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Postboxer wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 4:56pm Still not sure what the final podium will be!
You’re thinking that Pog might not make it? I’ve been thinking he’s looking tired for around a week maybe - I suspect he’s not as good in the hot weather as Vingegaard. I think he’ll make it through the next couple of days unless he’s ill. but Ineos might be chasing for a podium place on Saturday and trying to crack him if they think he looks weak. He’d do better if the weather turned maybe but that seems unlikely.

Although I’m with his legions of fans in being very sad today he’s an amazing rider and he’s got a lot more winning in him. Will be interesting to see what he does next year- I wonder what his programme will be.

Chapeau to Vingegaard for his outstanding performance and killer instinct. He just doesn’t light up cycling in the same way by doing Paris nice, the dauphine and the tour only. I wasn’t convinced at the end of last years tour that he enjoyed it or enjoyed racing but he seems pretty happy at the moment.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 19 Jul 2023, 9:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

If anything like today happens again, Adam Yates might have to leave him behind to protect third from Rodriguez, so it's possible, though maybe unlikely, that Yates or Rodriguez could end up second. Or maybe first if there's a major twist.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Would be good if an eccentric millionaire could put up a prize for winning all three grand tours in a row. Then maybe the best riders would be contending all three.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Postboxer wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 8:38pm If anything like today happens again, Adam Yates might have to leave him behind to protect third from Rodriguez, so it's possible, though maybe unlikely, that Yates or Rodriguez could end up second. Or maybe first if there's a major twist.
Or in a weird twist Yates, Yates (Simon’s only 18 seconds behind Rodriguez). I think that only happens if Pog’s genuinely under the weather - in which case maybe he’ll get pulled out by the doc.

The Geraint Thomas podcast quite good on this tonight- “maybe he’s just blown the engine” which happens to all of us sometimes. Not sure Pog’s experienced that before though.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Postboxer wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 8:47pm Would be good if an eccentric millionaire could put up a prize for winning all three grand tours in a row. Then maybe the best riders would be contending all three.
Wasn't Froomdog offered a bonus to do this which he then achieved. Letour, Vuelta, then the Giro. So held all 3 tour titles briefly. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Postboxer wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 8:47pm Would be good if an eccentric millionaire could put up a prize for winning all three grand tours in a row. Then maybe the best riders would be contending all three.
Sadly, it's just not possible to get enough recovery and then ramping up between the tours to be competitive. (Or healthy tbh)
For example, G Thomas competed in the giro and having had a nice rest is currently in altitude camp in Andorra prepping for the vuelta. Each of the GC riders spends weeks at altitude before a GT, they just wouldn't be competitive otherwise.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Vingegaard looks certain to win , Pog is obviously not at his best, lack of time to race after the accident.
Just like Arnie he'll be back.
Fingers crossed for Yates, I think he'll be allowed to drop being Pog's shadow as UAE want a place on the podium.
Wipperman_95

Post by Wipperman_95 »

One hopes Pog continues to race the Spring classics, cycling is more than just 3 weeks in July. He's already had an impressive year results wise. That attack on the Kwaremont was something else....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced
Raleigh Record Sprint 1990
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

A great stage today.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Postboxer wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 7:43pm A great stage today.
Yes, I really enjoyed it- I actually can find the Pog/Vingegaard cat and mouse stages a little dull - there was plenty going on here with the King of the Mountains guy, and with Pinot getting his accolades plus some serious climbing action and a Pog/Ving effort at the end.

I enjoyed the breakaway stages with Campanearts and Asgreen etc the last couple of days.

I’m hoping for anyone except Philipsson today- I think he’s lost a lost of goodwill on this tour. edit: excellent result!

Got the Tour de France femmes on in the background now.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 23 Jul 2023, 7:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Ps did anyone see this- Vingegaard not planning on only racing the tour this year. I wonder if Roglic is a bit put out? Should be a good experience for Evanpoel too. Everyone but Pog will be at the Vuelta. I guess Vingegaard might go for the triple- it’s usually done in this order I think?

Are they going to make Sep Kuss do 3 grand tours this year?!

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/vuelt ... tory.shtml