Review - ETC Burro Cargo Trailer

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
DropperPost

Review - ETC Burro Cargo Trailer

Post by DropperPost »

I suspect this isn't the type of product that people on this forum are likely to be buying, but I'm posting this here in the hope that potential buyers of these things might come across this via a Google search, as I couldn't find any user reviews when I searched.

You'll find this trailer for sale on several online bike shops, here's one example: https://www.afan.wales/accessories/bike ... lack__2109

There have recently been a very large number of these sold at auctions of bankrupt bike supplier stock, so these will start to trickle through onto Marketplace, eBay and Gumtree from people like me who bought them. So for anyone thinking of buying one, here's all you need to know:

1. Don't buy one if you want to actually use it as a bike trailer. The design and construction of the tow hitch and bike-attachment are so bad that this is a genuinely dangerous product. Specifically: the tow hitch mechanism is made from soft galvanised steel, using extremely poor-quality nuts and bolts (threads will tear easily) and has a fundamental design flaw which means the entire assembly just folds up when you try to bolt it tightly to your seat-post. I have worked out a fix for this design flaw, but the weakness of the rest of the towing mechanism means that I've decided to err on the safe side and not attempt to use it as a trailer. One way or another, the trailer will break loose of the tow-hitch very quickly, which wouldn't be fun in traffic. Other tricks the trailer has in store for you are overturning whilst you're riding along, and the stand scraping on the floor whilst riding because the tow-bar geometry means it is in a near-upright position whilst attached to your bike.
2. Having done some stress (and impact!) tests, I'd say the design and construction of the trailer itself is pretty good. I'm therefore happy with my purchase as I really only wanted something to pull heavy kit (by hand) into music festivals. The wheels, tyres, bearings, axles and geometry all go together to make a rugged, stable hand-cart which copes really well with rough ground and obstacles.
3. The 46 litre hold-all also seems okay. I've only done a few tests with it, but the material appears to be tough, and the seams are double-stitched. Time could prove me wrong on this, but that's okay - the cart can still be used with your crates of beer etc. strapped on...