Windcheetah joystick universal joint and gear hanger

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mark aldridge

Windcheetah joystick universal joint and gear hanger

Post by mark aldridge »

Does anyone have any advice on replacing the joystick universal joint. Mine has worn severely and steering is definitely on the point and hope side. Where did the original joint come from it is obviously an off the shelf item. Has anyone got a joystick squirreled away in a cupboard. I can get a replacement made by a local bicycle friendly engineer but it is not especially cheap.

Secondly I am trying to future proof the Windcheetah and plan to fit a larger rear cassette. This will entail fabricating a new gear hanger to accommodate the larger diameter sprockets, probably up to 46 tooth. Has anyone done this before.

Does anyone want to piggyback on my order to split the costs.

Thanks

Mark
OldBloke

Re: Windcheetah joystick universal joint and gear hanger

Post by OldBloke »

For the larger sprockets consider using a hanger extender like these: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

No idea on the universal joint but if you can get hold of Kevin at DTek he is probably the best source of parts and advice for Windcheetahs.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Probably rather similar to the still in production velo universal joints... certainly looks the same on the my mango (not had a close inspection though)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Thanks for the advice.
A gear hanger will not work as I need clearance over the top of the cassette where the hanger loops over. It is not like a solo where you have free air around the block.
I have burrowed into my Milan and the uj looks similar but it would need some fettling/bodging to make it fit. The uj on my Velomo is a better approximation but I think it will be better having one made from scratch.
I will chase up Kevin but he can be elusive.
gonzal

Post by gonzal »

I am a longstanding CTC member but new to the forum.
I too would like to run a larger bottom sprocket on my Windcheetah. The conventional drop link type extender is, of course, not the answer but it might well be possible to insert an extender between the standard hanger and the tail casting; in my case, the extender would take the place of the existing spacer between hanger and tail casting which was necessary to allow the use of an 8 speed cassette.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I need a new steering universal joint too. The black plastic and brass ones wear quite badly.

These look rather like the originals:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/mechanic ... 4294886013

Perhaps using the same, but with gaiters, would work?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchT ... int+gaiter
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

I don't know what i'm talking about, but it looks to me a simple engineering job, any toolmaker ouhht to be able to knock one up.
But time is money, it's going to cost, unless you find someone benevolent.
It does happen.
I have an old 'Optima' rider trike, the steering doesn't suit me but I have wondered about fitting a UJ as shown and having a tiller / joystick, I wondered about welding a socket to the bolt of the steering pivot, then clicking in a 1/2" UJ , From a socket set, and a tiller.
But for now I am happy with my Azub.
Would be nice to get the Optima back on the road tho.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
gonzal

Post by gonzal »

@admin:
It's good to know that the correct Huco UJs are still available; FWIW, I don't think the gaiter would solve the wear problem but I did wonder whether one could simply use a length of garden hose in place of the UJ!