Server down

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Jdsk

Server down

Post by Jdsk »

Server down for a few minutes around 1720.

Seems OK now.

Jonathan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Server down

Post by admin »

Yeah, sorry, I made a mess of networking configuration for a moment or two.
rjb

Post by rjb »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for all the work.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

System reappeared at 1636.

OK so far.

Thanks to whoever fixed it.

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

admin wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 6:11pm Yeah, sorry, I made a mess of networking configuration for a moment or two.
Stuff happens, it’s fixed now, thanks for all that you do 👍.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I tried to log on earlier today and failed. Speaking as a total numptie, I had no means of knowing where the problem lay. ie with the forum or at my end. Any advice for future out(r)ages would be appreciated.

Put simply, is there some straightforward way of checking?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 5:10pm I tried to log on earlier today and failed. Speaking as a total numptie, I had no means of knowing where the problem lay. ie with the forum or at my end. Any advice for future out(r)ages would be appreciated.

Yes. There are many websites that will check if a site or service is down. Here's an example: IsItDownRightNow:
https://www.isitdownrightnow.com

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 5:12pm
thirdcrank wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 5:10pm I tried to log on earlier today and failed. Speaking as a total numptie, I had no means of knowing where the problem lay. ie with the forum or at my end. Any advice for future out(r)ages would be appreciated.

Yes. There are many websites that will check if a site or service is down. Here's an example: IsItDownRightNow:

Jonathan
Thanks for that but when I follow the link, I'm into the gobbledigook. I was hoping there might be scope for simple info on the Cuk www.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 5:18pm
Jdsk wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 5:12pm

Thanks for that but when I follow the link, I'm into the gobbledigook. I was hoping there might be scope for simple info on the Cuk www.
After navigating to that or another checking site you enter the URL of the site that you want to check, in this case forum.cyclinguk.org and click the green CHECK button.

It will then tell you if the site is up or down. Screenshots below.

Jonathan
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 17.21.49.png
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 17.21.39.png
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks again I suppose the point is that I'm not so bothered that I'm going to any trouble to find out. However, I was prepared to raise the point, which may be more than many potential forum users are prepared to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I to have little knowledge of how this magic box works.
When I could not get this forum I tried other sites, which worked as normal. So I tried the CUK press releases which also worked fine. So I surmised that the forum was having one of its occasional fits.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 6:15pm ...
When I could not get this forum I tried other sites, which worked as normal. So I tried the CUK press releases which also worked fine. So I surmised that the forum was having one of its occasional fits.
There are local problems on our own devices and networks which can prevent access to certain websites while still allowing access to others. Using a third-party site checker can help sort out what's happening and I recommend it including quite early in the diagnostic pathway as it can save a lot of time.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 6:20pm
Mike Sales wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 6:15pm ...
There are local problems on our own devices and networks which can prevent access to certain websites while still allowing access to others. Using a third-party site checker can help sort out what's happening and I recommend it including quite early in the diagnostic pathway as it can save a lot of time.

Jonathan
In my abysmal ignorance that knowledge would not help me, and if I continued getting everything else I could jog along happily. If this forum continued to be unavailable I might get restive though.
As it happened I was right, and could wait patiently until the site answered my tap.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 4:38pm System reappeared at 1636.

OK so far.

Thanks to whoever fixed it.

Jonathan
16:36 ?
I am here. Where are you?