Psamathe

Re: Another sleeping mat question.

Post by Psamathe »

Lookrider wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 8:59pm Thanks for that
Makes sense when it's explained by a more experienced guy
But I hope you can see why I tried that to avoid sliding around the thermarest
I think I may buy a wider thermorrest
Thanks again
Not a problem I've experienced but is it possible it related to the sleeping bag material rather than the sleeping mat. I assume (thinking logically rather than from experience) that the friction between two surfaces must depends on both surfaces.

Thinking aloud (so may be rubbish) have you tried putting something between the bag and the mat? e.g. microfibre towel (dry!).

Ian
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

I bear that in mind regarding the towel trick
I look at the material contacts too see if it can be improved any
I'm not that regular/experienced camper
I may even have had the thermorrest blew to hard ..coupled with body weight it may been that which made the Matt hard/slippy
PH

Post by PH »

pjclinch wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 4:45pm Some time ago there was a trend for "top bags", with a sleeve for a mat at the base and no insulation under the sleeper (the mat should take of that) so it's far from being a fundamental no-no, but having said that they do seem to have died a death in the marketplace...
Pete.
Over the same time period, quilts have become more popular, the product may have changed but the idea of not insulating between body and mat hasn't gone away. Some quilt/mat combinations are designed to work together, if I were buying now, it's these I would be looking at.
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 11:22am Thinking aloud (so may be rubbish) have you tried putting something between the bag and the mat? e.g. microfibre towel (dry!).
Ian
I put my mat in a polycotton sleeping bag liner, nicer to the touch, less slippery, doesn't squeak. I've added a pillow sleeve to it, which cures the disappearing pillow issue I used to have.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 11:57am
pjclinch wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 4:45pm Some time ago there was a trend for "top bags", with a sleeve for a mat at the base and no insulation under the sleeper (the mat should take of that) so it's far from being a fundamental no-no, but having said that they do seem to have died a death in the marketplace...
Pete.
Over the same time period, quilts have become more popular, the product may have changed but the idea of not insulating between body and mat hasn't gone away. Some quilt/mat combinations are designed to work together, if I were buying now, it's these I would be looking at.
Some people roll over in their sleep, or while getting to sleep. Some don't. Some, when they roll, the bag moves with them. Some, it doesn't. If it's just a bag, probably not a problem. If it's bag and mat as one unit, you'll end up with the mat on top of you or at least to one side and not underneath you where it needs to be. If you're not a roller, this is not a problem.
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Thanks lads again
I think between a couple of you ...the answer is a barrier between Matt and bag and the liner ( which I have ) seems to best solutions
I cannot do anything about rolling around I'm afraid
Thanks again and apologies to original OP for getting his post off track
Reckon I'm more less sorted on my issue now
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Camping solo I use a sleeping bag and thermarest. I can slide off sometimes, but I manage.
Camping aux deux on the tandem, we use an inflatable mat (Sea to Summit I think) with a camping quilt, with a silk liner bag between. Works fine, and saves a lot of luggage volume (luggage volume is more of a consideration on the tandem). Worked fine when camping, though most of its use has been sleeping out on the patio in heatwaves.