Changes-our-affiliated-individual-membership

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
PH

Re: Changes-our-affiliated-individual-membership

Post by PH »

Cycling UK must have the numbers, I doubt they'd change it if it didn't make financial sense. I'm assuming they've predicted the subs from those taking up full membership will be of more benefit than the losses from those leaving all together.
The bigger question is what will the affiliated clubs do? Some of them insist the members have some form of insurance, that's the primary purpose for them being CUK affiliated. They have other options, though I don't know how they compare.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

As ever it's important to differentiate between affiliate club membership, which isn't being discontinued, and individual affiliate membership, which is.

As far as I know (this was looked into a few years back) the primary purpose for most clubs affiliating to Cycling UK is for the liability insurance covering them (the club) for rides and events - not for the opportunity for their members to buy Cycling UK individual affiliate membership.

As for individual third party insurance, it's been discussed here before not too long ago. Many people find it's included in their house and contents insurance. For those wanting a standalone solution, there are cheaper options than full Cycling UK membership out there - Laka often gets a mention at £1.50 a month for third party cover and legal support.

I don't know the national figures but from the last figures I saw for our member group's catchment area, just 2% of the total membership count were individual affiliate members. That's an average of just over two individual affiliate sign-ups for each affiliated club in the area. So it isn't a hugely popular scheme.

And now at least people will stop muddling up club affiliation with individual affiliation.
sjs

Post by sjs »

I just think it's a shame they can't spell "affect".
gaz

Post by gaz »

AndyK wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 6:29pmI don't know the national figures but from the last figures I saw for our member group's catchment area, just 2% of the total membership count were individual affiliate members.
Nationally it's 3.9%, from the figures in the linked article.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

AndyK wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 6:29pm As for individual third party insurance, it's been discussed here before not too long ago. Many people find it's included in their house and contents insurance.
I think you might be muddling up an individuals desire to have insurance and a club policy. Where insurance is a club requirement, in my limited experience of three, the clubs have stipulated it's from a cycling organisation, sometimes even more specific. No one at the club is going to go through everyone's household policy to check it covers them. The Fridays are a typical example, here's their policy
https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/insurance

Do you know how many affiliated clubs there are? The figure might be somewhere on the website, but I couldn't easily find it.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

I'm not muddling up anything, I'm pointing out the distinction between affiliate groups and individual affiliate members. The club page you point to also makes that distinction in great detail.

People don't realise what a wide range of organisations the affiliated groups are. Many - I reckon most - are not "traditional" cycle clubs like the example you gave. and have many approaches to that third-party insurance requirement.

According to the annual report, in 2022-23 there were 819 affiliated groups. You can see some of them on the (somewhat clunky) map page: https://www.cyclinguk.org/group-listing
Philip Benstead

PH wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 11:14am Cycling UK must have the numbers, WHY? LOook at the account you membership fees are only 2.7M of a total of 14M

I doubt they'd change it if it didn't make financial sense. I'm assuming they've predicted the subs from those taking up full membership will be of more benefit than the losses from those leaving all together.
The bigger question is what will the affiliated clubs do? Some of them insist the members have some form of insurance, that's the primary purpose for them being CUK affiliated. They have other options, though I don't know how they compare.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Philip Benstead wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 7:53am
Cycling UK must have the numbers, WHY? LOook at the account you membership fees are only 2.7M of a total of 14M
What numbers? Why what?
The membership income is £2.7m of a total of £3.9m unrestricted income. That makes it pretty important.
Philip Benstead

AndyK wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 4:18pm
Philip Benstead wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 7:53am
Cycling UK must have the numbers, WHY? LOook at the account you membership fees are only 2.7M of a total of 14M
What numbers? Why what?
The membership income is £2.7m of a total of £3.9m unrestricted income. That makes it pretty important.
We are a charity, our income goes into charity purposes we get most of our income from HMG. That is what the membership voted for when we converted to a charity.