Cardiff police seize 17 illegal e-bikes

Pinhead

Cardiff police seize 17 illegal e-bikes

Post by Pinhead »

Cardiff police seize 17 illegal e-bikes in crackdown on riding in pedestrianised areas GOOD

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/ ... ised-areas
AUTISTIC and proud
tenbikes

Re: Cardiff police seize 17 illegal e-bikes

Post by tenbikes »

If they took them off the streets how did they determine the illegality? Test ride them? Some form of sensor?

Just wondering....
gaz

Re: Cardiff police seize 17 illegal motorbikes

Post by gaz »

If it doesn't meet EAPC requirements it's not an e-bike. 17 unregisterd, untaxed and unisured motorbikes that were being used illegally were seized.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Understood. I was wondering how they determined the fact that they were illegal, given that based only on appearance, they looked kind of 'normal'....just curious.
seanpk

Post by seanpk »

We have to be careful here, yes these lads are riding unregistered motorcycles but look who they are and you quickly see they have little choice. Time to take the likes of Just Eats and Deliveroo to task for exploiting these vulnerable people. They should require a minimum safety standard from they're riders and put it in the delivery cost/wages and if that is unaffordable then it isn't a viable business model - no company should be allowed to exist in a civilised society off the back of compromising basic human rights like a safe working environment.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Many of them in the city centre are food delivery riders, but it is widely thought that the many riders we see in the suburbs are delivering drugs.
Richard M
Cardiff
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Good points seanpk.

It’s also back to something I observed in an earlier thread about people effectively colluding in illegal e-moped use by turning a blind eye to the fact that that’s how their takeaway gets delivered.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

tenbikes wrote: 7 Nov 2023, 4:53pm If they took them off the streets how did they determine the illegality? Test ride them? Some form of sensor?

Just wondering....
Errr, really the law is simple what else is needed

If you’re thinking about getting an e-bike, you’ll need to understand the UK law for electric bikes. It’s legal to ride an e-bike in the UK without a licence, but only if it meets certain requirements: it must be pedal assist instead of ‘twist and go throttle’; and have a maximum power output of 250 watts, with a speed restriction of 15.5mph.
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

tenbikes wrote: 7 Nov 2023, 4:53pm If they took them off the streets how did they determine the illegality? Test ride them? Some form of sensor?

Just wondering....
Errr, really the law is simple what else is needed

If you’re thinking about getting an e-bike, you’ll need to understand the UK law for electric bikes. It’s legal to ride an e-bike in the UK without a licence, but only if it meets certain requirements: it must be pedal assist instead of ‘twist and go throttle’; and have a maximum power output of 250 watts, with a speed restriction of 15.5mph.

Takesd seconds to google UK ebike law
Attachments
IMG_1617.JPG
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

tenbikes wrote: 7 Nov 2023, 5:49pm Understood. I was wondering how they determined the fact that they were illegal, given that based only on appearance, they looked kind of 'normal'....just curious.

Simple
Attachments
Img_1617.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

seanpk wrote: 7 Nov 2023, 6:23pm We have to be careful here, yes these lads are riding unregistered motorcycles but look who they are and you quickly see they have little choice. Time to take the likes of Just Eats and Deliveroo to task for exploiting these vulnerable people. They should require a minimum safety standard from they're riders and put it in the delivery cost/wages and if that is unaffordable then it isn't a viable business model - no company should be allowed to exist in a civilised society off the back of compromising basic human rights like a safe working environment.
Sorry mate for braking the law I had no choice ROFLOL come on

IO can't afford my car insurance I PAY it
AUTISTIC and proud
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

seanpk wrote: 7 Nov 2023, 6:23pm We have to be careful here, yes these lads are riding unregistered motorcycles but look who they are and you quickly see they have little choice. Time to take the likes of Just Eats and Deliveroo to task for exploiting these vulnerable people. They should require a minimum safety standard from they're riders and put it in the delivery cost/wages and if that is unaffordable then it isn't a viable business model - no company should be allowed to exist in a civilised society off the back of compromising basic human rights like a safe working environment.
Yep. The food delivery business now is very similar to the motorycle courier business of the late 80s and early 90s, but even less regulated and with even more exploitation of workers.
seanpk

Post by seanpk »

Pinhead wrote: 7 Nov 2023, 6:58pm
Sorry mate for braking the law I had no choice ROFLOL come on

IO can't afford my car insurance I PAY it
Your right, breaking the law isn't excusable, but this is bigger than that, this is about a fair and compassionate society which shouldn't allow corporate giants to exploit vulnerable people which then gives all cyclists a bad rap and strengthens the rights call for registration and insurance.

I hope I'm never in the situation where I have to leave my homeland for economic or political reasons - or just 'cause I'm gay!
seanpk

Post by seanpk »

Just wondering....
If they're not peddling then assume they are cheap dodgy illegal imports. Volunteered at Nottingham Bike Works for a while and they do an excellent job supporting the delivery drivers but even they would sometimes turn away some of the bikes as too dangerous to put back on the road.

This was an interesting read the other day: https://bikebiz.com/ba-and-act-respond- ... -guidance/

No level of standards will combat these issues as there will generally be a way of procuring dodgy products, but if there is no market for them, ie. make the companies liable for they're riders safety, then sorted.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think current H&S legislation is broad enough that the enforcing authority could undertake an inspection of Uber's or Deliveroo's head office and request sight of documentation detailing how they manage the safety risks associated with the people they use to make takeaway food deliveries. I think it would be reasonable to expect those companies to undertake at least some occasional basic checks that the bikes their riders used were safe, roadworthy and not illegal, and to have a system in place to deal with any reports that riders were using unsafe/illegal bikes, riding in a dangerous manner or otherwise breaking the law. If they did not, the authority could issue an enforcement notice requiring it.

I think Uber, Deliveroo and other gig economy businesses seek to minimise any legal responsibilities they might have for both the people who work for them and also for members of the public who could suffer injury or loss as result of negligence by the people who work for Uber etc. Uber has already lost a court case where it tried to maintain that drivers who worked for it were not employees for the purposes of holiday entitlement etc., but self-employed. I think that if they contested H&S enforcement decisions based on similar arguments that the workers were not employees, they would lose.