Helmet choice

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Pinhead

Re: Helmet choice

Post by Pinhead »

Cugel wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 10:49am
Pinhead wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 9:04am
Cugel wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 5:26pm

What are your reasons for wearing a helmet now, whilst cycling?

I have never had a life changing accident but I would never drive without a seat belt
Will you be extending this analogy to various other activities, from ice-skating (see separate thread) to stair and ladder use? After all, if wearing a seatbelt suggests further protections are necessary whilst doing various other risky things besides driving too fast, we ice skating ladder climbers ought to be wearing not just helmets but a harness attached to a cable, so if we fall we are saved.

Of course, there will be a huge increase in ladder-falls as dafties take large risks, assuming that the cable will save them from everything. Instead of splatting on the ground, they'll swing a bit and splat on a wall. :-)
Pointless comment as, as the OP I do not skate, ski etc. And, where additional protection such as using a strimmer, hedge trimmer, glue on floors as examples is needed then YES I do
AUTISTIC and proud
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 11:04am
Psamathe wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 9:37am Why would a rider on an e-bike need more head protection than a rider on an unassisted one?
More to do I assume with speed
Well that doesn't add up either. An e-bike (assuming of course it's a legal one) is restricted to 15.5mph / 25kph (yes, I know it can go faster than that downhill etc...)
I can go far quicker than that on my road bike - in fact my average speed on a normal ride is higher than 15.5mph!

Therefore by your argument, I should be using the motorcycle helmet for road riding and just a normal helmet when riding my e-cargo bike...?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 11:04am
Psamathe wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 9:37am Can anybody explain why you are more likely to fall-off or have an accident in an e-bike than on a normal unassisted bike?

Why would a rider on an e-bike need more head protection than a rider on an unassisted one?

Ian
More to do I assume with speed
e assistance is limited to 15.5 mph (in UK) at which point you are pedalling a heavier bike than somebody on their carbon frame. Even on my steel (un-assisted) I will often be going faster than 15.5 mph. In US restrictions are different.

Ian
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

Cycle helmets are designed for 15.5 mph accidents, motorbike helmets are designed for 30mph and greater.
How fast do you pedal?

A 1.5Kg motorbike helmet is cosy in the current chilly weather, but it's hellish hot in summer below 30mph - and that's without sweating through exercise.

A potential halfway house is a full-face cycle helmet, if you really believe you're likely to fall off forwards, but expect to be less comfy.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 9:37am Can anybody explain why you are more likely to fall-off or have an accident in an e-bike than on a normal unassisted bike?

Why would a rider on an e-bike need more head protection than a rider on an unassisted one?
Some falls have been caused by accidental activation of the motor when mounting or dismounting the bike, which is a bigger risk than on an unpowered bike. However, that fall is almost exactly what cycle helmets are designed and tested for.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

:) :) :) :) :) :)

All
AUTISTIC and proud
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

richtea99 wrote: 2 Dec 2023, 10:43am Cycle helmets are designed for 15.5 mph accidents, motorbike helmets are designed for 30mph and greater.
How fast do you pedal?
I don't think I would have said accident, but rather speed of impact. In the case of motorcycle helmets, the speed of impact is tested as something like 28km/hr at tops. I think cycle helmets are much, much lower.

Wearing any type of helmet won't stop you collecting things like a broken back, or major trauma to the chest or abdomen in the event of a collision, all of which can put a serious crimp in your working week.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Dec 2023, 9:05am If I can find the post I will errr post, it is on the Electric US bike forum
Note that "Electric bike" means different things to different folks.
For some it encompasses electric motorcycles, and in that case you would legally require a motorcycle helmet (as well as tax and insurance and appropriate license).

In GB/European parlance an e-bike typically means a pedelec like yours, though note that in NL there is another class of "fast pedelec", and there is a helmet standard associated with that, see https://leva-eu.com/dutch-standard-for- ... published/.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...