Are we monoexercisers?

cyclop

Are we monoexercisers?

Post by cyclop »

Are we,as cyclists,in danger of being people who cycle and do no other exercise? We hammer out the miles,well,not exactly hammer,more just tap out the miles nowadays,put our session in the diary,content in the knowledge that we,ve done our stint.Can,t be bothered to do stretching,weights etc?"Speak for yourself" I can hear you saying.It,s only now,at 71 and post stroke,that the compulsion to get my 7hrs a week,100mls give or take has dropped by the wayside.Diet control,walking,2or 3 rides a week ,exercising with a band has replaced that compulsion.So,don,t be angsty about doing your stint,it might be a blessing in disguise.
Jdsk

Re: Are we monoexercisers?

Post by Jdsk »

Many people can walk long after they feel that they can cycle. It's probably worth getting into the habit of both regular and long walks before it's forced upon us.

And swimming is famously important as an excellent form of exercise that doesn't put weight through joints. And therefore very useful after injuries and in arthritis. Again it's a useful habit to add to the list. It's a pity that there aren't more uncontaminated sites.

Jonathan

PS: I think that you might be overestimating the similarity of riding habits... I've never recorded a distance in a diary. : - )
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

cyclop wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 8:59am Are we,as cyclists,in danger of being people who cycle and do no other exercise? We hammer out the miles,well,not exactly hammer,more just tap out the miles nowadays,put our session in the diary,content in the knowledge that we,ve done our stint.Can,t be bothered to do stretching,weights etc?"Speak for yourself" I can hear you saying.It,s only now,at 71 and post stroke,that the compulsion to get my 7hrs a week,100mls give or take has dropped by the wayside.Diet control,walking,2or 3 rides a week ,exercising with a band has replaced that compulsion.So,don,t be angsty about doing your stint,it might be a blessing in disguise.
As cyclists I think that there is a danger that we view cycling as the only form of exercise necessary - to be fair cycling can be quite a workout and the activity exercises quite a lot of our body. Personally I don’t record mileage, don’t seek to ‘score trophies’ and try to have some variety in what exercise I do - a lot of moderation going on. Swimming’s good exercise too, but availability of places to swim isn’t good and the activity (for exercise) is boring. Building exercise into our activities makes sense to me, so walk rather than drive and where practical use manual rather than powered tools - purposely put useful and sustainable effort (exercise) into activities within and outside the home.

There are other issues too. We try to moderate the amount that we eat - usually not succeeding as well as we hope to - and to eat a wide variety of foods. Neither my wife or I smoke or drink alcohol (the occasional glass of wine excepted). We also try (at times it’s been tough) to live in places conducive to good health - sadly that can be a massive challenge for many folk - so we believe that exercise is only one part of looking after yourself. We haven’t even touched on mental exercise and mental health, to which everything else is pretty much secondary.

As an aside it’d be interesting to hear about your exercises with a band. What band, what exercises, what evaluation and what guidance?
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Carlton green wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 9:28am As an aside it’d be interesting to hear about your exercises with a band. What band, what exercises, what evaluation and what guidance?
I do one quite specifically for my right knee, to keep the supporting muscles in trim so the kneecap tracks as it should (green "TheraBand" used for resisted leg raises with my foot turned out, 10 repeats of 10 seconds, 5 seconds between, do these at bedtime for a few weeks when I get early symptoms of not-quite-right in the knee, then good for a few months)

But there's loads of online workout suggestions, just drop resistance band workout in to your search engine of choice and tune accordingly.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

cyclop wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 8:59am Are we,as cyclists,in danger of being people who cycle and do no other exercise? We hammer out the miles,well,not exactly hammer,more just tap out the miles nowadays,put our session in the diary,content in the knowledge that we,ve done our stint.Can,t be bothered to do stretching,weights etc?"Speak for yourself" I can hear you saying.It,s only now,at 71 and post stroke,that the compulsion to get my 7hrs a week,100mls give or take has dropped by the wayside.Diet control,walking,2or 3 rides a week ,exercising with a band has replaced that compulsion.So,don,t be angsty about doing your stint,it might be a blessing in disguise.
The trick with exercise (as with everything else) is to do it for its own sake - for the various pleasures to be had from it - rather than as some sort of self-imposed duty. Not to say that you shouldn't also include an element of duty, as that can get you started. (The hardest part of any bike ride is getting out of the bike shed door, so "duty" might just work the latch and force your first step).

Personally I feel that the data-collecting mode of motivation is a very poor one, as it contains an equally large demotivator if you start to fail the inevitable targets and comparisons. Bin that handlebar gizmo and look up at the lovely world going by!

If you feel a need (or even a duty) to adopt other kinds of exercise, make sure you push beyond the initial learning & hurting phase to the pleasurable parts. Some kinds of exercise take longer to do that than do others. A fell walk or two will make you ache all over but the third time you'll be skipping and whistling a happy tune. Learning to swim efficiently can take a lot longer, especially as you may also have to overcome pool-boredom, churning up and down but getting nowhere and seeing nothing but some quavery tiles.

But no exercise that's all duty-to-myself is likely to last. We humans need to balance the pleasures and the pains. Sometimes its possible, though, to come to enjoy the sort of exercise that's "nice when it stops". It was hard or even onerous but the endorphin glow plus the sense of achievement* are worth it.

* "Achievement" doesn't include data collection.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I mainly use very puncture-prone tyres. This brings quite a lot walking into the mix without me having to "plan". Some walks are long, some short, which I believe is also a good mix.

I call it cross cross-training.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 10:55am I mainly use very puncture-prone tyres. This brings quite a lot walking into the mix without me having to "plan". Some walks are long, some short, which I believe is also a good mix.

I call it cross cross-training.
Why not remove the brakes, providing opportunities for gymnastics (or even circus-style tumbling) as you reach the drystone wall? If you also cycle along the canal towpaths, compulsory swimming might become available now and then. Also, get a-one o' them e-bikes weighing 35 kilos then go out on it with a flat battery. Weight-training! Especially if you choose a route involving large flights of steps.

But now I yam being silly.

PS Cycle through certain housing estates and you can, once the punctures from all the broken glass take effect, do running rather than mere walking, as both vicious dogs but also vicious humans practice their own sport of chase&bite. If they catch you, there'll be opportunities for marshal arts.

PPS Sorry, the silly-blather meme has got a firm grip on me now, as I'm waiting for a heat pump service engineer to finish tweaking of the gubbins before going corgi-walking (another fine sport).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cugel wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 11:45am

PS Cycle through certain housing estates and you can, once the punctures from all the broken glass take effect, do running rather than mere walking, as both vicious dogs but also vicious humans practice their own sport of chase&bite. If they catch you, there'll be opportunities for marshal arts.
Now you're REALLY being silly - we both know it's martial arts.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I'm waiting for a heat pump service engineer to finish tweaking of the gubbins before going corgi-walking (another fine sport).
Ah dog walking, I recently read of a Japanese study that concluded that the physical and mental benefits of owning and exercising a dog were somewhat significant. I’ve just got back from the great outdoors with my own ‘small’ dog; cycling, walking, lovely scenery and a few pleasant conversations with those I meet.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mattheus wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 12:05pm
Cugel wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 11:45am

Now you're REALLY being silly - we both know it's martial arts.
I was thinking of the (often arduous) activity in which one takes charge of errant beings of dangerous aspect, to convene them into serried ranks of neat and tidies, aggressions now oriented at some randomly-chosen foreigners or perhaps other groups "not one of us" such as starving rioters complaining against the post-modern equivalent of the corn laws (e.g. being unable to afford their tofu).

Or so I will now claim. :-)
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Carlton green wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 2:10pm
I'm waiting for a heat pump service engineer to finish tweaking of the gubbins before going corgi-walking (another fine sport).
Ah dog walking, I recently read of a Japanese study that concluded that the physical and mental benefits of owning and exercising a dog were somewhat significant. I’ve just got back from the great outdoors with my own ‘small’ dog; cycling, walking, lovely scenery and a few pleasant conversations with those I meet.
"Forest bathing" - not quite a sport but, as you mention, good for general health, especially of the wetware organ. Mind, when we had the collies I developed enormous shoulders simply from throwing sticks and balls 491 times per walk (on average).

We do have many conversations .... if we ever meet others. Out here it doesn't happen very often, as the forest walks are long and numerous whilst the population is sparse and widely dispersed. On the other hand, when we do meet and yap, it can go on for A Very Long Time. The live-aloners are particularly anxious to dump a week's chatter in one go. I confess to being more than happy to oblige them, as one learns all sorts.
John Maynard Keynes
cyclop

quad quadRe: Are we monoexercisers?

Post by cyclop »

The band exercises I do really developed from some exercises given to me by a physio after an inner quad shrunk after my saphenous nerve was damaged.It occured to me that if I could strengthen my lower back ,then ongoing elbow arthritis may be helped by encouraging some upper body weight(which is quite well developed)to be taken by stronger lower back muscles rather than arms.Very simply,I,ll stand on the band,strench the arms out as far as possible,back at 90deg,then straighten up,holding the band.It,s essential to hollow the back.I hold the band as far down as is comfortable to increase resistance.Working for me.I,ll do 20-50 dips during an evening watching tv,but it,s essential to build up to this .
The Path Racer

Post by The Path Racer »

Recently I'm hearing advice that exercise using weights (or bands) is beneficial for us ageing lot, helps with the loss of muscle mass. I doubt they are referring to big weights for rippling muscles either, nor referring to hour after hour in the gym. I'm spending 60 minutes per week on this weight training (HUGE!! 2 KG per dumbbell) - 6 x 10 minute sessions spread over 3 days per week. Not a lot but I guess it's better than nothing. Of course I also ride a bike and I do pop out for the odd walk.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Carlton green wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 9:28am As an aside it’d be interesting to hear about your exercises with a band. What band, what exercises, what evaluation and what guidance?
My thanks to those that have responded.
The Path Racer wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 5:16pm Recently I'm hearing advice that exercise using weights (or bands) is beneficial for us ageing lot, helps with the loss of muscle mass. I doubt they are referring to big weights for rippling muscles either, nor referring to hour after hour in the gym. I'm spending 60 minutes per week on this weight training (HUGE!! 2 KG per dumbbell) - 6 x 10 minute sessions spread over 3 days per week. Not a lot but I guess it's better than nothing. Of course I also ride a bike and I do pop out for the odd walk.
I’ve got some small dumbbells, had them for years, but rarely use them and never found any decent exercises for them either (exercise charts / books / leaflets, etc. ). Always wise to be careful how you exercise lest injury result - a peculiar result for something supposed to be health giving, but it happens.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

The data collection side of cycling is extremely motivational for me. With my autistic tendencies, it's very appealing. I love working through the data.

Anyway, over summer, I was guilty of neglecting my resistance training. Cycled a bit too much, swam quite a bit and didn't lift.

I'm now into a good routine with lifting heavy every 5 days (deadlifts, bench, overhead press, rows etc). In-between, I use resistance bands at work whilst supervising my machine. I thoroughly exercise all body parts. Total resistance training each week is about 4hrs.

As some of you had eluded to, strength is a fundamental part of health into older age. So I carry more muscle mass than is necessary for cycling, but I prefer to be stronger than not.

I also cycle an average of 11-12hrs a week, at fairly high intensity. I'm 40 next year and I'm the fittest I've ever been (and I was very fit as a teenager). It's a good feeling :mrgreen:

But just to stress, don't neglect strength training. Avoiding sarcopenia and osteopenia is incredibly important.