SKS Chainbow?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
maximus meridius

SKS Chainbow?

Post by maximus meridius »

Has anybody here used/installed one of these?

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/productc ... inguards2/

The bike I'm using for commuting is 9x3. 46-36-24 chainset and 11-34 cassette, Shimano STIs and derailleurs.

I'd prefer not to get oily mess on clothes, especially right trouser legs. My current commute is only 4 miles, so it would be nice not to have to go through the rigmarole of changing legwear before and after.

It's not entirely clear (at least to me) if the "Chainbow" will accomodate a FD. I can imagine it adding more complexity to the fitting, which is probably already a bit awkward.

For my current commute, I could drop to a 1x9, with the front chainring being 36 teeth. Though I'd prefer not to, this is the same bike that I use for recreational riding, where I do use all three chainrings.

Experiences of that chainguard (or any others) welcome.

Thanks.
Galactic

Re: SKS Chainbow?

Post by Galactic »

I've used these types of chain guards on bikes with no front derailleur, and they're more than up to the job for keeping trousers out of chainwheels. Although some designs allow the use of front derailleurs (they have a chunk missing out of the top of the guard, meaning they still fulfill the function of trouser guard, but the chain protection takes a hit), these Chainbows don't look like they'll allow a front mech. Ditto for the Chainblades.

If you wanted to keep your 3 cogs up front then you could compromise and get one of those wheel things that you screw onto your chainwheel. They work reasonably well with trousers that aren't too loose around the ankle, but aren't 100% guarantee that you won't get oil on your kecks.

Or use a trouser clip, strip with velcro etc. Slight faff to use, but no need to change anything on the bike :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you get a big one it may fit over some top swing FDs. The snag is that this doesn't always work and you don't always have access to the FD adjustment screws any more. But at least you don't have a hole, just where you don't want it. Speaking of holes, if the centre hole is big enough, you may not be able to ride without clips on your troos, not without your troos mopping up every last bit of chain lube overspill, anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

What happens if you ride with one trouser leg rolled up, out of the way of the chain?
maximus meridius

cycle tramp wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 6:49pm What happens if you ride with one trouser leg rolled up, out of the way of the chain?
I look like an idiot, that's what happens. I do have some pride you know.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

There exists a Japanese chain guard, by OGK, that consists of two parts that you would normally combine with a chain disc, which works well with a front mech:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225852652405

https://somafab.blogspot.com/2007/12/ch ... d.html?m=1

It is available from Amazon.jp, but you need to order each of the 2 parts, and the bother and cost may be too much. However, this could be the final solution if you are frustrated with guards that do not work with front mechs.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

maximus meridius wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 6:56pm
cycle tramp wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 6:49pm What happens if you ride with one trouser leg rolled up, out of the way of the chain?
I look like an idiot, that's what happens. I do have some pride you know.
Fair enough.... hey, I've got my pride currently on ebay as a bundle with my self-respect and sense of shame, if anyone's interested
maximus meridius

2_i wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 8:00pm There exists a Japanese chain guard, by OGK, that consists of two parts that you would normally combine with a chain disc, which works well with a front mech:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225852652405

https://somafab.blogspot.com/2007/12/ch ... d.html?m=1

It is available from Amazon.jp, but you need to order each of the 2 parts, and the bother and cost may be too much. However, this could be the final solution if you are frustrated with guards that do not work with front mechs.
Thanks for that. Though it looks a bit more complicated, and not as chain-ring-covering as I'd like.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Seems a lot of work just to avoid tucking your trousers into your socks.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

531colin wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:13pm Seems a lot of work just to avoid tucking your trousers into your socks.
I think everybody is free to pick the battles they want to fight.
maximus meridius wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 10:38pm Thanks for that. Though it looks a bit more complicated, and not as chain-ring-covering as I'd like.
I spent time researching the issue, and the staining primarily occurs when the pants' cuff passes the upper portion of the chain. The particular OKG guard covers precisely the region that needs to be covered. A ring chainguard or full disk on the outer chainring can provide nearly as much protection. You can also build up a full cover - look below at the one I built up from leftover alu pieces. However, it is a game of decreasing returns as you add more and more coverage. I am back to a simple guard on the outer ring.

TrevA

Post by TrevA »

531colin wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:13pm Seems a lot of work just to avoid tucking your trousers into your socks.
Yes, that’s what I do, but sometimes forget I’ve done it and end up walking around with a tucked in trouser leg!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
freiston

Post by freiston »

As far as trouser protection goes, I find that the chain isn't the only source of danger - I have had a rip caused by the hem wrapping around the base of the crank on the NDS.

If rolling the trouser leg up or tucking it into a sock isn't your thing, then how about "bike clips"? I like the "snap band" style but it's almost impossible to find them long enough. I have a pair from Decathlon that measure 40.5 cm that work well but a 33cm one I have is too short. I tried some elasticated velcro bands but they were awful - a royal pain to put on and take off plus the velcro stuck to lots of other stuff that I didn't want it to stick to, not least the non-velcro elastic portion of the band. There are the traditional clips still available.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
freiston

Post by freiston »

From the pdf manual for the Chainbow, it does appear to have a cutaway at the top where a FD would be, but whether it is suitable for allowing the use of a FD, I do not know.
Screenshot from 2023-12-21 11-50-49.png
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
2_i

Post by 2_i »

In my experience, the problem one faces when fitting an extended chainguard is an enormous geometry variability in the area where one wants to apply the protection. On one occasion, I bought a lot of about 20 chainguards from a German bike shop. They were all practically new, and it seemed that the shop tried to mount them on some bikes but failed. At this point, they were overflowing with stock. Of course, some of those guards were doubles, but I would say among them were maybe 15 different models, Hebie SKS, and others. Well, after that purchase, I thought I was secure as far as the guards were concerned, but I found that when I wanted to equip a bike with one, I had trouble finding one that would fit from among those 15 and some others that I had models. For this reason, such OKG segments + discs have the advantage of allowing you to develop an arrangement that will fit properly.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

freiston wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 11:46am.... how about "bike clips"? I like the "snap band" style.....
they are very clever but if water ever gets into them, it may cause very bad corrosion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~