Trike-specific items on tour

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
DGG1941

Trike-specific items on tour

Post by DGG1941 »

Just wondering what you take on tour that’s trike specific. My two are
- a “jack” for the rear when removing the wheel or doing maintenance - just a long piece of wood that hooks into the rack, and
- two straps which have a dual purpose: the first is to secure the front brakes when using said jack, and the second is to lock the steering in the straight ahead position. This is invaluable when hauling the trike up steps or steep banks as it’s much easier to do so by dragging the trike backwards; without the steering being locked the wheels will inevitably flick left or right stopping you dead.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
Grldtnr

Re: Trike-specific items on tour

Post by Grldtnr »

I do the same use a strap to lock a wheel as a parking brake,swapped to which ever wheel is in the gutter or pointing down hill
Never had bother tugging up steps backwards, the trike self steers, at leqst mine does, I'm butch enough to carry all up anycase.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Grldtnr

Re: Trike-specific items on tour

Post by Grldtnr »

DGG1941 wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 3:21pm Just wondering what you take on tour that’s trike specific. My two are
- a “jack” for the rear when removing the wheel or doing maintenance - just a long piece of wood that hooks into the rack, and
- two straps which have a dual purpose: the first is to secure the front brakes when using said jack, and the second is to lock the steering in the straight ahead position. This is invaluable when hauling the trike up steps or steep banks as it’s much easier to do so by dragging the trike backwards; without the steering being locked the wheels will inevitably flick left or right stopping you dead.
As for rear wheel puncture, I just lay it to 'sleep' rarely get flats anycase.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!