Rapha 500

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Rapha 500

Post by eileithyia »

Anyone been doing / completed this?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jon in Sweden

Re: Rapha 500

Post by Jon in Sweden »

No.

I only needed to close just under 300km during that 8 day period to get to my year target. The weather would have made 500km very tricky (snow).

The Rapha 500 seems to be mostly a Zwift event, if my Strava feed is anything to go by. The notion of spending 13-15hrs on a trainer over the Christmas period is (to me) a little depressing.
PH

Post by PH »

eileithyia wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 3:11pm Anyone been doing / completed this?
I thought about it, but didn't even manage a Festive 50.
I've somewhat lost enthusiasm for it, I have six of the cloth roundels, and two failed years. Maybe I need the promise of a physical badge to motivate me :oops:

And you?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My impression is that most UK rides are on the road. Is this changing?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

It started as a road only event..... virtual rides didn't count, and trying to juggle work shifts with horizontal wind and rain meant it was virtually impossible to complete.... for me anyway....
Admittedly my first post retirement was in Mallorca though as we only flew out on Boxing Day I had already done one very wet cold ride in Blighty first.
I then did 2 years of British ones, mainly to prove I could do a wet miserable windy one followed by a second to prove it wasn't a fluke..
Then having had a major op in 2019, I thought it was a good idea to do another to prove I still could...
Then lockdowns came, and Rapha allowed virtual rides to count..... Believe me they aren't easy.... 40 miles/day on a turbo bleugh... but did it.
Once i'd done 5 decided it might be a good idea to go for 10......

You can do a mix of any type of ride these days inc e assist....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I completed it all on zwift
As said above it does seem to be more of a zwift event especially in the uk , the weather has been ruddy awful all of last week with heavy rain nearly every day on already sodden areas meant we still have road closures due to flooding.I wanted to ride outside but it wasnt possible for me to fit it in around the family and windows of half decent weather.I managed a club ride yesterday and was determined to get a metric century in which was hard work as my legs were toast from 7 days of 2 sessions a day on zwift and it was on/off rain for most of the ride
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

CyberKnight wrote: 1 Jan 2024, 12:07pm I completed it all on zwift
As said above it does seem to be more of a zwift event especially in the uk , the weather has been ruddy awful all of last week with heavy rain nearly every day on already sodden areas meant we still have road closures due to flooding.I wanted to ride outside but it wasnt possible for me to fit it in around the family and windows of half decent weather.I managed a club ride yesterday and was determined to get a metric century in which was hard work as my legs were toast from 7 days of 2 sessions a day on zwift and it was on/off rain for most of the ride
Well done
delilah

Post by delilah »

I refused to take part as it requires you to subscribe to Strava, which I have no intention of doing!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

delilah wrote: 1 Jan 2024, 10:31pm I refused to take part as it requires you to subscribe to Strava, which I have no intention of doing!
Just call it the Festive500 (which is exactly what R*pha used to call it) - then do it for fun (remember that?!?). See also: https://blog.wiggle.co.uk/how-conquer-f ... easy-steps

I think lots of us have done/attempted it without even touching Strava :)
delilah

Post by delilah »

mattheus wrote: 2 Jan 2024, 9:12am
delilah wrote: 1 Jan 2024, 10:31pm I refused to take part as it requires you to subscribe to Strava, which I have no intention of doing!
Just call it the Festive500 (which is exactly what R*pha used to call it) - then do it for fun (remember that?!?). See also: https://blog.wiggle.co.uk/how-conquer-f ... easy-steps

I think lots of us have done/attempted it without even touching Strava :)
Then how do you record it/keep check on it if you're not on Strava?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I have records of rides totalling 378,000 miles - all pre Rapha. Diaries, time trial start and result sheets, audax routes.
PH

Post by PH »

delilah wrote: 2 Jan 2024, 10:24pm Then how do you record it/keep check on it if you're not on Strava?
What is it you wish to participate in? In the days when you could get a physical certificate and cloth roundel, you could send any form of evidence to Rapha to be included. Now you can't, you've missed out on a 20% Rapha discount and an entry into the prize draw, but nothing stopped you from riding 500 km in the period.
mattheus wrote: 2 Jan 2024, 9:12am Just call it the Festive500 (which is exactly what R*pha used to call it)

They still do, that's what your link calls it, the name hasn't changed.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Complete it by Dec 30th. All outside.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

who actually won the bike ?
it was supposed to be announced by the 7th jan but i cant even find the result on google or raphas site
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."