Riding in Wellingtons / Wellies

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
Carlton green

Riding in Wellingtons / Wellies

Post by Carlton green »

As I grow older I tend to question and set convention to one side and then do what I find suits my needs. As such my daily ride has platform pedals and in both naff weather and muddy conditions I’ve taken to cycling in Wellingtons. Most of my journeys are relatively short, say a ten mile round trip, and involve some off of road cycling (walk where appropriate) along tracks and some roads that have potholes and large puddles.

My few months of using Wellies in this way have proved a positive experience. Though I doubt it would suit all I also wonder who else has (seasonally) ditched lightweight cycling shoes in favour of something more robust.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pjclinch

Re: Riding in Wellingtons / Wellies

Post by pjclinch »

I've ridden in wellies at times, pity there aren't SPuD compatible ones!
Also, if I'm riding in for a bothy trip or remote Munro bag etc, I'll use whatever walking shoes or boots I'll be wearing for the hike, swapping my usual clipless pedals for platforms.

These https://www.welly-king.co.uk/Nokian-FIN ... boots.html look pretty much ideal as cycling wellies and are popular as general outdoor gear in Finland. If I ever find some in the flesh I'd like to try a pair to see how they suit my feet, they do look good.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Wellies were essential for dry, warm feet on some of my off road adventures.
I used to lead off road rides for the club and when I turned up at the start in my wellies they knew they were in for a dipping somewhere. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

We have a regular flood-puddle that bars the way to the morning newspaper collection: impossible to ride through it without dipping both feet into the water.
I have a pair of 'seaboot' wellies for sailing; short, flexible, light weight, ok for minor trips on platform pedals. The likes of Gill and Musto will sell you an expensive pair, Decathlon are sensible and perfectly fine with two pairs of socks**.

** The received wisdom is that boots worn on board should be loose so that they can be kicked off if one goes overboard - thick socks fill the gap for cycling.
No pasaran
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pjclinch wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 8:55am ...
These https://www.welly-king.co.uk/Nokian-FIN ... boots.html look pretty much ideal as cycling wellies and are popular as general outdoor gear in Finland. If I ever find some in the flesh I'd like to try a pair to see how they suit my feet, they do look good.
We've used Bogtrotters (under their various names) for over thirty years. Excellent footwear, and we find them much more suitable for walking than most "Wellington boots". I don't think that any of us have ever used them for cycling. I'd be concerned about stiffness around the ankle.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If anyone cycling in big boots wants a bit more foot location on the pedal don't forget plastic toe shovels.

Jonathan

mjr

Post by mjr »

pjclinch wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 8:55am I've ridden in wellies at times, pity there aren't SPuD compatible ones!
Someone on our used-to-be-annual rides collecting money for RNLI had made SPD wellies so they could still ride recumbent more easily than using Power Grips. I think it did reduce the waterproofness of them, despite an attempt to seal the bolting with glue.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mick F wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 12:52pm 2007

viewtopic.php?t=3954
I missed that 2007 thread, a bit before my time here :lol: , but skimming through it it went a bit off track - provided some entertainment for those involved though.

It’s interesting to read that I’m not alone in adopting boots, etc., for rides over wet and / or muddy routes. :D
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 11:49am
We've used Bogtrotters (under their various names) for over thirty years. Excellent footwear, and we find them much more suitable for walking than most "Wellington boots". I don't think that any of us have ever used them for cycling. I'd be concerned about stiffness around the ankle.

Jonathan
Nokian – are they compatible with the winter studs? :lol:

Btw I don't know if that link is supposed to go to a particular model of welly, for me it goes to a general home page of wellies.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 9:05pm
Jdsk wrote: 8 Jan 2024, 11:49am
Nokian – are they compatible with the winter studs?
Yes, they come ready for studs to be inserted...

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Wow!
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I've no experience of riding in wellingtons but a long time ago I knew someone who'd flown in them during the war.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Derri-boots are a closer fit below the knee than wellies, so no slap.
In combination with waterproof leggings this is the best way to guarantee dry feet.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't think Derri boots are made anymore though. Or are they?