The Joy of E-Bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Cowsham

Re: The Joy of E-Bike

Post by Cowsham »

That's a nice looking bike --- how many miles will the assist last ?
I am here. Where are you?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Cowsham wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 3:55pm That's a nice looking bike --- how many miles will the assist last ?
That's not my bike, but I a have similar Orbea, and my realistic range is up to 45 or 50 miles on a charge. Others will claim much further. It depends on many factors, assistance used, speed, distance travelled above cut - off, terrain etc etc
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

This doll here gees it some write up

https://thegirloutdoors.co.uk/2022/10/2 ... al-e-bike/
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cowsham wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 6:08pm This doll here gees it some write up

https://thegirloutdoors.co.uk/2022/10/2 ... al-e-bike/
DOLL!? I have sent a certain kind of feminist lady to see you so that she can "correct" you in the attitoods. Her methods are forceful and effective, via the use of scourges and other such implements best not named. Not for nothing is she known as The Iron Maiden!

You will know her by the gleam of her little sharp teeth and immunity to any & all pitiful pleas for a cessation, even a brief one.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Doll is marginally better than Moll
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Doll is not a derogatory term here -- it just means woman. Is it not the same in Scotland ?
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 12:09am Doll is not a derogatory term here -- it just means woman. Is it not the same in Scotland ?
I know you didn't mean it as derogatory but it certainly comes across that way.
What might be OK in speech in a local context doesn't come across the same on a forum which can potentially be read anywhere in the world, it reads as sexist and insulting.

Sorry - I know you didn't mean any offence but "the author" or "this journalist" would have been 1000x better than "this doll here..."
borisface

Post by borisface »

Cowsham wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 9:46am
borisface wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 9:00am
Airsporter1st wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 4:10pm

A typical (e.g. Mahle) 250W rear hub motor weighs in at 1.4kg ~ 2kg. Obviously, I don’t know what your particular physical condition is, but I’d say lifting that sort of addiional wheel weight is within the capability of most cyclists.
Whilst you are correct. My wife has a cube with a bosch motor and 500w/h battery that weighs 26kgs. Getting the rear wheel aligned with reference to the disk brakes/drop outs etc generally takes two of us.
Do you or can you take the battery out to make things easier?
Yes I can and do but still a weighty beast. Range is impressive though - easily 70 miles on a charge.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

rareposter wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 12:55pm
Cowsham wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 12:09am Doll is not a derogatory term here -- it just means woman. Is it not the same in Scotland ?
What might be OK in speech in a local context doesn't come across the same on a forum which can potentially be read anywhere in the world, it reads as sexist and insulting.

Sorry - I know you didn't mean any offence but "the author" or "this journalist" would have been 1000x better than "this doll here..."
Most online dictionaries define a doll as a woman. None of those I’ve looked at so far state that the term is sexist or insulting.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

borisface wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 6:02pm
Cowsham wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 9:46am
borisface wrote: 1 Feb 2024, 9:00am

Whilst you are correct. My wife has a cube with a bosch motor and 500w/h battery that weighs 26kgs. Getting the rear wheel aligned with reference to the disk brakes/drop outs etc generally takes two of us.
Do you or can you take the battery out to make things easier?
Yes I can and do but still a weighty beast. Range is impressive though - easily 70 miles on a charge.
That's the only thing I don't like about my home brew ebike -- it is probably about 13kg before I put anything on it but it's still manageable with the 13amp hour battery on. My brothers bike has the 17ah battery and the bike is an old heavy town bike which is an absolute brute of a thing.

I've been at him to change to a more modern lighter bike which I'll swap the kit over to when he gets it.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Airsporter1st wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 6:57pm
rareposter wrote: 2 Feb 2024, 12:55pm

Most online dictionaries define a doll as a woman. None of those I’ve looked at so far state that the term is sexist or insulting.
Here's a definition I'm sure you would find in an urban dictionary somewhere:

Doll - a model of a human female constructed as a plaything, providing the owner with opportunities to reconfigure the clothing, hair and other aspects to their liking. A "living doll" (see C Richard for details) is a human woman treated as a doll, with the varieties of play applied often extreme, controlling and in some cases, destructive. "Just a doll" would be employed to justify such treatments, usually driven by the more unpleasant sexual motives.

No doubt the OP is right to suggest that the term is in common use in certain argots within Grate Bwitain; and may be used as a term of endearment or admiration in many cases. But in my experience (admittedly of Scottish use rather than Nirish use) its often used as an ironic term of disparagement, as when an aggressive bloke calls you "pal" as he eyes you up for a beating after you looked at him wrong.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes