13 miles there and 13 back :)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pinhead

13 miles there and 13 back :)

Post by Pinhead »

I am really looking forward to the better weather

I posted here months back that I started an AUTISM group in Carmarthen Library the first Monday of every month, because the NHS had stopped their face to face groups in Wales for Autistic people, and the group has gone from me starting it (with autism and ASDHD) with four people to being funded by MENCAP for the library room every month :)

It has gone so well I have started another Autism group in Aberystwyth Library the second Monday of every month, AND Tesco are supporting us with refreshments and cakes.

BUT as I said I am looking forward to the better weather, now that I have my e bikes, the trip to Aberystwyth is 26 miles round trip and I can do that on my bike.

Four years ago I was 23 stone, I am now 66 and 14 stone
AUTISTIC and proud
Jdsk

Re: 13 miles there and 13 back :)

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds like some excellent direct action.

Well done

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Congratulations on the groups success and your fitness too!
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

I am suitably impressed! It's great to hear a success story both on a community front and a personal one.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Thank you all, the only mistake I made was using my own number and email :) but I am happy people are calling

Admin please remove if inappropriate
LEAFLET FOR EMAILS.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
rjb

Post by rjb »

The local cyclists will be joining you after seeing your refreshments on offer. Word gets around very quickly. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

I am hoping to do/start a cycling group for disabled and autistic people
AUTISTIC and proud
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Well done Pinhead -- running these things is a lot of work but very rewarding when it bears fruit.
I am here. Where are you?
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Cowsham wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 10:14am Well done Pinhead -- running these things is a lot of work but very rewarding when it bears fruit.
I must say it is also part selfish

Being Autistic when the meetings stopped like many I had nothing, we all looked forward to one day a month out
AUTISTIC and proud
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 7:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

cycle tramp wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 10:22pm
Pinhead wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 5:01pm I am really looking forward to the better weather

I posted here months back that I started an AUTISM group in Carmarthen Library the first Monday of every month, because the NHS had stopped their face to face groups in Wales for Autistic people, and the group has gone from me starting it (with autism and ASDHD) with four people to being funded by MENCAP for the library room every month :)

It has gone so well I have started another Autism group in Aberystwyth Library the second Monday of every month, AND Tesco are supporting us with refreshments and cakes.

BUT as I said I am looking forward to the better weather, now that I have my e bikes, the trip to Aberystwyth is 26 miles round trip and I can do that on my bike.

Four years ago I was 23 stone, I am now 66 and 14 stone
I am deeply disappointed to read that your NHS trust had stopped their face to face groups. I am still attempting to catch up with neuro diversity, but it does appear that those who are on the spectrum can easily find themselves on the wrong side of any situation, not through personal choice but because rules, regulations and even the situation can simply cause too much frustration.
You must be congratulated in taking up the challenge, not only continuing service but actually improving it. Nice use of the QR codes too... its something that I've been on at my local council to use for things like planning, public notices and road closure signs.
I hope your journeys bring many smiles, and await any photos with anticipation. You do live in a most wonderful part of the country.
Thank you
The problem is that more and more people are being diagnosed later in life, me with ADHD and Aspergers at 60, I complained to the MPs (Wales), NHS direct, the Ombudsman for the NHS, and the Welsh Government, stating that it cost the NHS just one persons wages for three hours a month £60.00 yes £60 but they said due to funding cutbacks it was stopping.

I do find that and this will sound bad I know just saying, many people now come, but few are willing to help, in fact I am the only one, I put a collecting jar out and the label attached to it as I need to buy printer ink, paper for printing from Tesco and envelopes, no one put in :( :( still you don't do these things for profit.
Attachments
support group.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud