When adding pics to posts, they are upside down

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Sooper8

When adding pics to posts, they are upside down

Post by Sooper8 »

I thought this was just me , but have seen a couple of other pics in posts that are also upside down

I flip the photo my end and still it is upside down - then occasionally after a few tries, they end up in correct orientation

(for info, I am on Safari on MacBook)
Jdsk

Re: When adding pics to posts, they are upside down

Post by Jdsk »

What's your whole workflow from taking the original picture through to uploading here?

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?p=1812377#p1812377

Jonathan
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 10:00am What's your whole workflow from taking the original picture through to uploading here?

Previous discussion:

Jonathan
Coming off an Iphone, (so , after reading previous thread) , they could be 'upside down' despite appearing the right way up (if I held the phone inverted)

Then picking up the photo's in my MacBook photo's app, grabbing them to desk top (and they appear right way up), and dropping it in the message box on here , and also tried by clicking the 'insert photo' icon on top of message box
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sooper8 wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 8:55pm
Jdsk wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 10:00am What's your whole workflow from taking the original picture through to uploading here?

Previous discussion:
Coming off an Iphone, (so , after reading previous thread) , they could be 'upside down' despite appearing the right way up (if I held the phone inverted)

Then picking up the photo's in my MacBook photo's app, grabbing them to desk top (and they appear right way up), and dropping it in the message box on here , and also tried by clicking the 'insert photo' icon on top of message box
Thanks for a straight answer. : - )

The EXIF tags are the obvious suspect. But I don't understand where they're getting misused in that workflow.

Once they're on the Desktop I suggest Opening them in Preview, checking the orientation and Saving them before uploading here. And letting us know if that removes the problem.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've had the exact same issue although generally they are 90° out. No amount of editing and rotating images before uploading seems to work for me. I've tried copying to my pc and rotating them with no improvement. When I post on Facebook for instance I don't have this problem, they always appear as intended. I'm totally confused and allow others to repost my pics in the correct orientation. Thanks to everyone who does this for me. It's so much easier. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 11:45am I've had the exact same issue although generally they are 90° out.
Same question: what's the workflow that you're using that ends up with this problem?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: You're welcome. : - )
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 12:04pm
rjb wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 11:45am I've had the exact same issue although generally they are 90° out.
Same question: what's the workflow that you're using that ends up with this problem?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: You're welcome. : - )
And what app is being used to flip the image. These days some photo editor apps are "non-destructive" eg Lightroom, when editing using LR the edits are saved separately from the image and applied each time the image is used so the original file is never altered. Several really good reasons for apps to work like this eg with lossy compressed images (eg jpgs) each time it's saved quality deteriorates. So eg flip in Lightroom and image shows as flipped (in Lightroom) but original file is still original orientation.

Not all packages work like this, hence the importance of Jonathan's question.

Ian
slowster

Post by slowster »

˙ǝsɹoʍ ǝq plnoɔ ʇI
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

slowster wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 12:56pm ˙ǝsɹoʍ ǝq plnoɔ ʇI
Mɥɐʇ’s ʎonɹ ʍoɹʞɟloʍ ɟoɹ ʇɥɐʇ :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

App Wats that?. I'm using the photo software that came on my windows pc. Or supplied with my Lenovo tablet.
And no idea wat a workflow is either. :?
Last edited by rjb on 12 Feb 2024, 1:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 1:04pm App Wats that?. I'm using the photo software that came on my windows pc.
And no idea wat a workflow is either.
Please list the steps that you follow from taking the photograph to uploading it here. With the device on which is each is done.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

I take the photo on my Lenovo tablet post it on the forum and it's sideways on. I then select the photo in the gallery and use the edit function to rotate it and repost it but is still sideways. I have tried importing said photo to my pc where the pic viewer shows it as being upright but when I post it to the forum it's sideways again. Rotating it on the pc and reposting makes no improvement. :?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 9:20am
Thanks for a straight answer. : - )

The EXIF tags are the obvious suspect. But I don't understand where they're getting misused in that workflow.

Once they're on the Desktop I suggest Opening them in Preview, checking the orientation and Saving them before uploading here. And letting us know if that removes the problem.

Jonathan
I suspect this could be the key - all I know for sure is that I eventually get it to work ; this will be after a few open and closes and such like.

So, in short, I have solved it somehow , but am not sure at which stage the 'correction' happens. And I feel that the original error occurs with iPhone camera and orientation, which I am sure that the iPhone makes a decision on the orientation based on how the phone is held

Either way, I can now see from the other comments that it isn't just iPhone/mac/iCloud issue for me.

Any further info you want from me re EXIF tags, just let me know. Thanks for your support anyway
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sooper8 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 8:47pm
Jdsk wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 9:20am Thanks for a straight answer. : - )

I suspect this could be the key - all I know for sure is that I eventually get it to work ; this will be after a few open and closes and such like.

So, in short, I have solved it somehow , but am not sure at which stage the 'correction' happens. And I feel that the original error occurs with iPhone camera and orientation, which I am sure that the iPhone makes a decision on the orientation based on how the phone is held

Either way, I can now see from the other comments that it isn't just iPhone/mac/iCloud issue for me.

Any further info you want from me re EXIF tags, just let me know. Thanks for your support anyway
I don't know how this site handles EXIF, so I limit myself to trying to track down causes and find workarounds!

But the Inspector tool in Preview displays EXIF tags and rotations.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rjb wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 1:19pm I take the photo on my Lenovo tablet post it on the forum and it's sideways on.
Which version of Android. and which apps do you use to take the photo and to upload it?

Thanks

Jonathan