Importing a new or 2nd hand bike into the UK from the EU.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Importing a new or 2nd hand bike into the UK from the EU.

Post by PH »

Scu11y wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 8:37pm So I've had a reply from discount-bikes and there's no way that they will let me purchase the bike and arrange shipment, so it looks like I'll be buying the bike and having it shipped to Rotterdam for me to collect and bring back in to the UK (through the red channel) I'm happy to pay whatever fees/tax on top
Just in case it isn't clear - If you don't buy from a retailer who is part of the EU's VAT free scheme and from them get the form to reclaim the EU VAT, you will be paying it twice. HMRC will not be concerned that you've already paid VAT once, it's nothing to do with them. It'll be a triple whammy, you'll pay the original VAT, the UK VAT and VAT on the VAT. On a six grand bike that's £1,200 you don't need to pay if you have the right form.
Even secondhand you'll be paying more than you need to, both the original VAT and UK VAT on it's import value. If you're going to do it legit, then HMRC are likely to ask for the original invoice, if you don't have it and can't demonstrate the value to their satisfaction, they will value it themselves.
Scu11y

Post by Scu11y »

So it Looks like I'll be paying for the bike so it is legitimately mine, getting them to deliver it to my friend in Rotterdam, me going to collect it, paying any fees/tax/duty/VAT on my return to the uk then claim the German VAT back once my paperwork is stamped, seems pretty simple, I just need to find somebody to help me with the German papers..
So it's Going to be a bit of a mission but I believe totally worth it, I've been hunting for a same spec bike here in the UK for the same total value and there's nothing remotely close. So now it's time to stop looking and get doing...

Happydays..
Attachments
1000018867.jpg
1000018871.jpg
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I'd definitely ring the entry port and say you plan to do this.

Even at major locations like Heathrow, there are often no Customs staff. You use a red telephone on the wall and then sit and wait, and wait, and wait....
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
PH

Post by PH »

Scu11y wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 8:01pm So it Looks like I'll be paying for the bike so it is legitimately mine, getting them to deliver it to my friend in Rotterdam, me going to collect it, paying any fees/tax/duty/VAT on my return to the uk then claim the German VAT back once my paperwork is stamped, seems pretty simple, I just need to find somebody to help me with the German papers..
Excellent, reclaiming one VAT and paying the other cancels itself out, so it's just the import duty.
You can deal with the import from five days before (Link on previous page) that'll make passing through the port simpler.
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

Instead of taking the ferry to The Netherlands yourself, have you thought of having your EU-resident relative come over to the UK on a cycling tour with that gorgeous new bike?
Totally legal for them to bring the bike into the UK, just like driving your car across a border on holiday. Then you can choose to fall in love with the bike, and they can choose to leave it behind for you and take the ferry back to the EU. No dubious border crossings, just a relative donating a used item to another. Would it be illegal for my grandmother to give me an antique painting worth 7 grand? Likely not. What if was an unashamedly EU-loving and EU-resident grandmother?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

This is the bit that's worrying me:-

I'll be putting it through as a work expense so I should be able to claim some or all of it back when my self assessment is next done.

From the OP who wants to pay his due to the customers folk :lol:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cyckelgalen wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 8:07pm Instead of taking the ferry to The Netherlands yourself, have you thought of having your EU-resident relative come over to the UK on a cycling tour with that gorgeous new bike?
Totally legal for them to bring the bike into the UK, just like driving your car across a border on holiday.
If said relative doesn't take the bike back with them, then they are liable for the UK duty and VAT.

Currently, it's unlikely it would be noticed, but you never know when an ANPR system that shows entry photos at the point of exit might come in.

Basically, everything bought in to the country on a permanent basis is liable to duty & VAT, based on what was actually paid. There are no exemptions for private transactions or second hand goods.

Even temporary imports can get sometimes charged, with the charges needing to be claimed back on re-export. This has happened on group bike tours, in cases where the bike owner isn't with their bike as the group is saving on transport costs by using a van for a bunch of bikes, with the riders travelling separately by train or cheap flight.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

andrew_s wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 2:45pm Even temporary imports can get sometimes charged, with the charges needing to be claimed back on re-export. This has happened on group bike tours, in cases where the bike owner isn't with their bike as the group is saving on transport costs by using a van for a bunch of bikes, with the riders travelling separately by train or cheap flight.
Not sure that's claimable - you would need an ATA Carnet for all of the bikes in advance.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

andrew_s wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 2:45pm [...] but you never know when an ANPR system that shows entry photos at the point of exit might come in.
An ANPR system isn't going to be taking pictures of bikes unless you're stupid enough to put a Number Plate on it.

Aren't there already pictures taken at ports?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

andrew_s wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 2:45pm
Cyckelgalen wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 8:07pm Instead of taking the ferry to The Netherlands yourself, have you thought of having your EU-resident relative come over to the UK on a cycling tour with that gorgeous new bike?
Totally legal for them to bring the bike into the UK, just like driving your car across a border on holiday.
If said relative doesn't take the bike back with them, then they are liable for the UK duty and VAT.

More than a bit unfortunate if it's stolen whilst they are in the UK ! :(
JBoneXC

Post by JBoneXC »

Hi there

I've been following this thread as I too am interested in a Radon Deft 10. How far have you got Scu11y?

I have done countless winter seasons, bought and replaced snowboards, and come home with them, without thinking about taxes, etc. So, I really don't see what the problem is with going to Germany, buying a bike, and bringing it back.

Why can't you just go to your relatives to get the bike and bring it back? I would build it up, ride it and not clean it too much, and put it in the boot. You've just been on an MTB trip! I have friends in France and was thinking of doing this.

To my knowledge, you don't have to provide an inventory of the items you're taking (or not taking in this instance), nor will they document the contents of your car.

Of course, duty, taxes etc are carried out by multimillion pound/euro/dollar import/exporters with ships full of containers with products shipped to sell in the UK, but Joe Public with a bike?
PH

Post by PH »

JBoneXC wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 11:18am Of course, duty, taxes etc are carried out by multimillion pound/euro/dollar import/exporters with ships full of containers with products shipped to sell in the UK, but Joe Public with a bike?
The rules are pretty straightforward
https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use

Not following them would be illegal, however simple, and the question asked in this thread was how to do it legally.
Scu11y

Post by Scu11y »

JBoneXC wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 11:18am Hi there

I've been following this thread as I too am interested in a Radon Deft 10. How far have you got Scu11y?

I have done countless winter seasons, bought and replaced snowboards, and come home with them, without thinking about taxes, etc. So, I really don't see what the problem is with going to Germany, buying a bike, and bringing it back.

Why can't you just go to your relatives to get the bike and bring it back? I would build it up, ride it and not clean it too much, and put it in the boot. You've just been on an MTB trip! I have friends in France and was thinking of doing this.

To my knowledge, you don't have to provide an inventory of the items you're taking (or not taking in this instance), nor will they document the contents of your car.

Of course, duty, taxes etc are carried out by multimillion pound/euro/dollar import/exporters with ships full of containers with products shipped to sell in the UK, but Joe Public with a bike?

I'm just waiting on a bit of my crypto to boost a little then heading ordering it, I'm more than happy to pay the German vat and claim it back, just waiting on the right time to cash out a chunk of money..
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

JBoneXC wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 11:18am Of course, duty, taxes etc are carried out by multimillion pound/euro/dollar import/exporters with ships full of containers with products shipped to sell in the UK, but Joe Public with a bike?
All fine when we were in the EU, but now we're a separate customs area, then moving goods across the border is a VAT event and VAT is due.

There is a small personal allowance for buying goods abroad, but it's only about £300.
A novice learning...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It's actually £390. It doesn't take much to exceed that and if not declared it is smuggling.

NB. I don't think they call it smuggling nowadays, probably duty evasion or something.