Best camping set up for electronics

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
MrsHJ

Best camping set up for electronics

Post by MrsHJ »

I think I'm likely to be camping quite a lot this next trip. I haven't camped seriously for a few years but I really invested before my last trip so I have a nice underused one man big agnes tent and excellent pad, sleeping duvet thing etc. I'll have to debate taking my helinox chair but I think that's probably a yes and a no for cooking gear- I'll likely be in France.

*campsites are dense where I'll be, not so much hotels/chambres d'hotes
*I prefer camping in hot weather
*I often find I'm hanging around waiting for hotel opening times at say 5pm
*I'm wanting to clear my mortgage in the next couple of years and reducing travel costs helps

The main drawbacks for me are bathrooms and charging my stuff. On my most recent camping forays I've taken my now ancient power bank and a short hook up lead so that where I can get electric I can charge directly.

What are people doing now- power banks seem to be smaller and lighter?
*Should I add a second lighter bank to my set up- any recommendations?
*is it worth getting a solar charger and if so which one?
*My raven has a hub charger so I could take that but I'll probably take my kona- is there a good dynamo charger or alternative system I can now add?
*Anything else I've missed that might help

PS for those who recommend using proper maps and a compass- thanks but I like my electronic gizmos. I'll usually have a phone and a kindle. This trip I might vary that and add maybe a garmin and maybe an ipad instead of the kindle (my eyes aren't so good with a phone for checking websites and planning trips these days).
Jdsk

Re: Best camping set up for electronics

Post by Jdsk »

How would this work for you?
• Two USB battery packs
• No solar panel (but see recent helpful thread)
• No charging from the dynamo.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Good recent discussion about solar panels touring/camping viewtopic.php?t=159858

When I tour (FR, DE, BE, NL) I take a fair amount of electronics: GPS navigator, iPhone, iPad, camera, Kindle and all are used quite a lot: photos every day uploaded to cloud, photos processed on iPad, some uploaded to daily blog, tomorrows route created online (iPad) and downloaded and Wi-Fi at camp sites these days is terrible (if it even works) so a lot of the time hotspotting using iPhone and mobile data ... and it all takes electricity.

I mostly manage using solar panel but a few days of cloudy weather and I need to find a mains power socket.

Plus, I carry but don't tend to use lights on the bike so my power does not include recharging lights.

Availability of mains sockets varies in camp sites. Normally one in the shower blocks and I do occasionally leave a small powerpack charging on the basis that if it's stolen not a lot of value and easy to replace. I've never had one stolen but I've spoken to others who have.

Electric hook-ups use the large bulks 16A sockets and adapters are bulky. Some campsites have lent me an adapter for free (without charging the electric rate), some have wanted a deposit. One camp site even wanted to charge me several € to charge a phone in their reception (L'Isle-sur-le-Doubs - talk about ripping-off cyclists!).

If you have a choice of campsites, those carrying the Accueil Vélo mark/approval will very likely have an area for cyclists that include mains socket (and other stuff cyclists would want)
accueil-velo_logo_rvb.jpeg
accueil-velo_logo_rvb.jpeg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 11:25am How would this work for you?
• Two USB battery packs
• No solar panel (but see recent helpful thread)
• No charging from the dynamo.

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan, I think I'd like a bit more than that- I don't like hanging around the shower blocks waiting for stuff to charge so whilst I get it might not be the only solution I'd like one form of self charging I think eg solar or dynamo or something? Maybe I should consider taking the raven but it's not going to be the ideal route for it compared to the other one. I was partially inspired by the solar thread - thanks Ian - any idea which current solar options would be similar (or better given time passing) than yours?

TBH if it's cruddy weather I'll find a hotel when I can so maybe that's telling me to go solar....and maybe to leave the ipad at home. Tank you for the wifi comments- I had forgotten- I'll have a think about my data needs- I have 12gb a month roaming so I hope that should do me for 2 and a half weeks.

Is something like this what you have Ian? It's a kilo though- stuff to think about. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Foldable ... r=8-3&th=1
Last edited by MrsHJ on 18 Feb 2024, 12:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d be looking at the weight of a portable solar charger compared to the weight of another power pack. I’ve plumped for carrying an extra power pack as I’m purely a U.K. tourer sunshine is a premium commodity. If I do use a campsite i get chatting to someone with a caravan or motorhome with hookup and ask them if they’ll kindly charge this for me. Never been refused.
I think this year is going to be the year I ditch carrying the stove and kitchen. ( threatened it for a while) will miss my coffee first thing but can usually come across one in the first hour.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Paulatic wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:47pm I’d be looking at the weight of a portable solar charger compared to the weight of another power pack. I’ve plumped for carrying an extra power pack as I’m purely a U.K. tourer sunshine is a premium commodity. If I do use a campsite i get chatting to someone with a caravan or motorhome with hookup and ask them if they’ll kindly charge this for me. Never been refused.
I think this year is going to be the year I ditch carrying the stove and kitchen. ( threatened it for a while) will miss my coffee first thing but can usually come across one in the first hour.
Yeah- I can see that the weight will be an issue and I've become such a lightweight tourer over the last couple of years (well the bike/luggage rather than me). I find a small picnic kit is useful - sharp knife, board, salt and pepper, a bit of olive oil and some balsamic, some oregano, plate and knife/fork/spoon so I can cook if someone else provides the equipment or have a good picnic from a supermarket. It includes a tiny scrubber and teatowel (the core of it is from MSR). However if coffee is a big deal for you first thing then maybe that is a luxury you should still provide yourself with.
PH

Post by PH »

It's becoming easier as stuff gets more efficient and charges faster. I know what works for me - Garmin, half hour a day phone, an hour internet, maybe some music or audiobook via headphones - but your usage and equipment is likely to be different. I leave home with everything fully charged (Inc two smaller powerbanks) and that can last four days. Game changer for me has been an Anker multi USB charger, 30 min a day is enough when charging all together, or an hour every other day. I've always been able to find somewhere to do that, the days of having to leave a powerbank in the toilets overnight are gone.
I do like a belt and braces approach, sometimes multiple belts... Some options I've used - A torch that also doubles as a additional powerbank, a USB charger that takes AA batteries (Hugely inefficient, but you can get the AAs anywhere), a hub dynamo USB charger that can quickly replace the light. I'll usually carry at least one of these, I can't remember ever using any of them.

The cooking kit is the one I've struggled with, I've carried stuff that's gone unused and wished I'd had more stuff.... I've compromised on a jetboil type cooker so at least I can boil water.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I’m slightly puzzled why the OP doesn’t just bit the bullet and get another hub dynamo. What’s the price of one of those compared to ferry and other costs - as a dyed in the wool tightwad I never thought I’d say that :shock: .

As an off the wall idea for a back-up plan - to a couple of battery banks and mains changing - I’d investigate using a bottle dynamo as a power source. They’re cheap, easy to fit and weight little. They do drag a bit but tolerably so and we’re talking a reserve option here too, when your back’s against the wall then you’re glad of what you can do.

Dons Tin-hat, and retreats :lol: .
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Carlton green wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 2:05pm I’m slightly puzzled why the OP doesn’t just bit the bullet and get another hub dynamo. What’s the price of one of those compared to ferry and other costs - as a dyed in the wool tightwad I never thought I’d say that :shock:
I've always assumed that how useful a hub dynamo is depends on how long you spend cycling each day and maybe what speed?

When I got my bent I decided against a hub dynamo as it was a fair extra cost, adding even more weight (plus voltare reducer, regulator & battery pack) and on tour I do maybe 40-50 mile rides (so enough time in campsite for lighter, cheaper solar panel).

But others probably have different patterns of use/constraints.

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Psamathe wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 2:16pm
Carlton green wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 2:05pm I’m slightly puzzled why the OP doesn’t just bit the bullet and get another hub dynamo. What’s the price of one of those compared to ferry and other costs - as a dyed in the wool tightwad I never thought I’d say that :shock:
I've always assumed that how useful a hub dynamo is depends on how long you spend cycling each day and maybe what speed?

When I got my bent I decided against a hub dynamo as it was a fair extra cost, adding even more weight (plus voltare reducer, regulator & battery pack) and on tour I do maybe 40-50 mile rides (so enough time in campsite for lighter, cheaper solar panel).

But others probably have different patterns of use/constraints.

Ian
Fair comment. The assumption is that the OP is doing some mileage each day but that could be completely wrong. As far as I know you don’t have to be going particularly fast to get useful power out of a dynamo, but …
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m not anti a new hub- I’m open to all ideas. I’ll be doing about 50 miles a day, but I’m only going for 2 and a half weeks on this trip so if it’s very spendy it would be difficult to justify- I do one or 2 tours a year usually.
PH

Post by PH »

Carlton green wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 2:05pm I’m slightly puzzled why the OP doesn’t just bit the bullet and get another hub dynamo.
I have one on my touring bike and as detailed in my post above it isn't what I use.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

PH wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 3:58pm
Carlton green wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 2:05pm I’m slightly puzzled why the OP doesn’t just bit the bullet and get another hub dynamo.
I have one on my touring bike and as detailed in my post above it isn't what I use.
Yes, that quite surprised me too. I’ve read so many posts on the forum extolling hub dynamos, saying how useful they were - seemingly essential - for powering electronics and charging battery banks.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I do like a belt and braces approach, sometimes multiple belts... Some options I've used - A torch that also doubles as a additional powerbank, a USB charger that takes AA batteries (Hugely inefficient, but you can get the AAs anywhere)
+1

I tend to go on short trips only these days so 2 powerbanks plus backups are all I need. (I think!!)

I'm assuming solar power technology has improved as in the early days I tried a number of types and never got any power out of any of them.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Carlton green wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 8:10am
PH wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 3:58pm
Yes, that quite surprised me too. I’ve read so many posts on the forum extolling hub dynamos, saying how useful they were - seemingly essential - for powering electronics and charging battery banks.
There have been multiple recent posts asserting the contrary, including mine. Neither essential nor optimal.
viewtopic.php?p=1784963#p1784963
viewtopic.php?t=156011
viewtopic.php?t=149863

Unfortunately they're spread across multiple recent threads:

Jonathan