CUK Membership Card

skeltrike

CUK Membership Card

Post by skeltrike »

Received my new membership card in the snail-mail this week. What is it for? and where would I use it?? Like most people (i think?) whilst cycling I no longer carry a wallet/cards etc. just my phone and an emergency tenner. So why don't CUK get with the programme, help the environment, save paper, postage and plastic, I just need a link/ QR code to go in my phone alongside my debit card, nectar, etc?

I'm a tech user but not really tech savvy but it can't be that difficult???
Last edited by skeltrike on 25 Feb 2024, 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: CUK Membership Card

Post by Jdsk »

Same thought, but experience of this forum suggests that the change might meet considerable resistance.

I don't know if it's practical to offer Members the choice: I'll ask.

Jonathan

PS: Typo in the Subject, and it's a lot easier to correct than if it had been printed! : - )
a.twiddler

Re: CUK Mebership Card

Post by a.twiddler »

I seem to remember that at one time they were made of biodegradable, eco friendly card. Does anyone know when the change took place?
Sometime after the early eighties, I imagine.They would have had the winged wheel on them then, of course.
cycle tramp

Re: CUk 'ard

Post by cycle tramp »

Removed
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Re: CUK Mebership Card

Post by tatanab »

As an option, yes. As the only way to show membership, no.

Since I (and others) have no wish to invest in a "smart" communications device I am quite happy to produce my plastic life membership card when required on the vanishingly few occasions that might want it, such as attending local AGM.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cycle tramp wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 12:59pm
skeltrike wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 12:30pm Received my new membership card in the snail-mail this week. What is it for? and where would I use it?? Like most people (i think?) whilst cycling I no longer carry a wallet/cards etc. just my phone and an emergency tenner. So why don't CUK get with the programme, help the environment, save paper, postage and plastic, I just need a link/ QR code to go in my phone alongside my debit card, nectar, etc?
...what happens when your phone loses its charge?
And what happens if you lose your physical card? With a 'phone you have it back as soon as you charge it.

But if they stopped issuing them you could still print the data on some form of dead tree and carry it with you.

And I can't remember suddenly and unexpectedly needing my Cycling UK card...

Jonathan
skeltrike

Post by skeltrike »

Moderator note - post removed because of breach of Forum Guidelines.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Contacting Cycling UK

Post by admin » 5 Jan 2007, 9:39am

The boards are not continuously monitored by Cycling UK council or its staff.

Any exchange or enquiry on these boards cannot be recognised by Cycling UK as a formal enquiry or commentary on Cycling UK policy.

If you wish to comment formally on Cycling UK policy, or make a complaint about anything relating to Cycling UK, go to the Cycling UK home page and follow the "About Cycling UK" links for a range of resources. Specifically...

To make a complaint about Cycling UK or its policies go to:
http://www.cyclinguk.org/about-ctc/poli ... -procedure

To influence current or future policies go to:
http://www.cyclinguk.org/about-ctc/poli ... ctc-policy

To contact your national councillor:
http://www.cyclinguk.org/about-ctc/ctc-national-council
viewtopic.php?p=26047#p26047
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe some see the card as the only tangible benefit of membership.

Oooppps, forgot about Cycle and voting mailshots.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

To have a membership card made of a practically indestructible material, which has no other function than to have a few details printed on it (no chip, no electronic function etc) and which for most of the membership needs renewing annually anyway, seems a bit excessive. In a few hundred years, after the original owner has crumbled beyond usefulness even as compost, future archaeologists might be puzzling over its purpose, and of the sort of society which used such durable materials for such a temporary function. One member with such a card doesn't seem much, but consider the millions of organisations worldwide that issue such cards, to expire annually.

Some sort of card might be considered a tiny benefit of membership in these modern times with all the ways mentioned previously of proving it electronically but even Luddites must move with the times and accept that unnecessary use of fossil fuel derived thermoplastics is not a good look for a cycling organisation. It's surely not beyond the wit of man to produce an alternative (ultimately) biodegradeable vehicle for carrying members' printed details which won't turn to mush in the same torrential rainstorm that fries your smart phone.

It may be that more members than expected would be happy to not have a physical membership card if they could reliably access details on their phone. For myself, I'm not such a weight weenie that the thought of carrying my wallet wherever I go is an immense problem, so including a membership card in it, even as a "what if", isn't either.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 6:25pm, edited 2 times in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Out of interest, how many people carry some form of easily accessed id when they go out cycling.

No wallet, possibly no id. In an accident a phone could be crushed or password locked.

I have my name and address on an old ticket in my saddle bag. I also usually have a credit card with me, but that could be stolen if I was incapacitated.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

a.twiddler wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 3:19pm To have a membership card made of a practically indestructible material, which has no other function than to have a few details printed on it (no chip, no electronic function etc) and which for most of the membership needs renewing annually anyway, seems a bit excessive.
Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 6:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 6:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 4:04pm Out of interest, how many people carry some form of easily accessed id when they go out cycling.

No wallet, possibly no id. In an accident a phone could be crushed or password locked.

I have my name and address on an old ticket in my saddle bag. I also usually have a credit card with me, but that could be stolen if I was incapacitated.
iPhones (and probably Android 'phones) have a built-in facility for providing contact and health details without unlocking:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/105072

and to contact emergency services and nominated contacts:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/104992
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/i ... 8440de/ios

Jonathan