Where can I get a cleaning brush

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pinhead

Where can I get a cleaning brush

Post by Pinhead »

I am sick of having to buy a set of brushes

Does anyone have an alternative to this set I only want ONE brush x 5 of it thanks
zzz.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
531colin

Re: Where can I get a cleaning brush

Post by 531colin »

Of all those brushes you show, which type do you want to buy (separately) ?
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I just use an old kitchen Bridget brush and a toothbrush. I've never had to replace either, but there's a continual supply available if need be, along with a bin full of old clothes for rags.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

I think a few of those brushes are combined in a Halfords gear cleaning brush.

halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/halfords-gear-cleaning-brush-164305.html

I think that's what I have and this is what they look like after about 10 years:

IMG_3141.jpg

Some of your brushes look like chain cleaning brushes, but I find that a dedicated chain cleaning bath is better. Others on here will recommend 101 even better ways to clean chains, and 1001 different secret potions for doing this! A lot of other cleaning gets done with an everyday washing up sponge and a bowl of soapy water, but again, there are lots of other ways.

IMG_3140.jpg
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:20am Does anyone have an alternative to this set I only want ONE brush x 5 of it thanks
Well that set of brushes exists because each brush has its own purpose - one for the chain, one for between the cogs etc...
Same way that toothbrushes and toilet brushes are different designs.

What are you looking to clean? If you use a stiff-bristled brush on the frame, you'll end up scratching the paint. If you use a soft brush on the chain, you'll rip the brush to pieces. Each brush has it's purpose and while you can (probably with some justification) state that such kits are a triumph of marketing over common sense, it's also not really common sense to try and replace them all with just one type of brush.
Sum

Post by Sum »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:20am I am sick of having to buy a set of brushes
Does anyone have an alternative to this set I only want ONE brush x 5 of it thanks
zzz.jpg
If you're looking for a narrow brush for cleaning the cassette, like the one you've circled in that photo, then try searching online for "narrow brush", "groove brush", "crevice brush" etc. e.g.:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CTGBWSWY/
https://thedustpanandbrushstore.co.uk/p ... ff-bristle
These are just examples, I don't know if they're any good. Your local DIY shop may have some to inspect and see if they meet your needs. Park Tool also sell these individually (Park Tool GSC-4) but you'll be paying Park Tool prices.
Edit: added Park Tool GSC-4
Last edited by Sum on 1 Mar 2024, 12:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I just save any ‘dead’ brushes from around the house, toothbrushes, washing-up brushes, floor brushes, and re-purpose them for bike-cleaning. Just make sure anything used on paint-work isn’t too stiff and scratchy - I use an old, soft floor-brush for that.

For getting down into cassettes, I have a long-bristled kitchen-sink brush that does the job.

Other useful freebie cleaning implements are disposable wooden cutlery; I find the knives are perfect for getting muck off of jockey-wheels and chain-rings by holding them static while slowly turning the pedals.
Richard Of York 2

Post by Richard Of York 2 »

I was bought a set of cycle brushes for Xmas one year but mostly use retired kitchen cleaning things when Mrs Richard of York renews them, pot brush, scourer pad thingys, that sort of stuff, old toothbrushes work well, old J clothes then a variety of old pants, tee shirts etc as rags.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Nearholmer wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 12:29pm I just save any ‘dead’ brushes from around the house, toothbrushes, washing-up brushes, floor brushes, and re-purpose them for bike-cleaning. Just make sure anything used on paint-work isn’t too stiff and scratchy - I use an old, soft floor-brush for that.
Yep, same here. Old toothbrushes are good on cassettes and chains. Old T-shirts or teatowels cut up for cleaning rags. Dishwashing brushes are good for wheels and tyres.

I've never bought specific bike cleaning brushes, it's always just repurposed household stuff.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I use this brush. Halfords do an interior version and an exterior version. The interior one has softer bristles but is firm enough to clean up cassettes and mechs.
The brushes unfortunately have doubled in price since I last bought them a couple of years ago.
Screenshot_20240301-130434.png
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

531colin wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:50am Of all those brushes you show, which type do you want to buy (separately) ?
The one circled ! with ARROWS pointing at it
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Thanks all appreciated
AUTISTIC and proud
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The way I clean between sprockets is to tear the seam off an old bit of clothing, twist it into a cord, then pull it back & forth in the slot whilst I hold the wheel between my belly and the front of the bench. Brushes are good for wetting and loosening the dirt, but not very good at getting it off unless you use gallons of thinners as a rinse.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

axel_knutt wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 2:13pm The way I clean between sprockets is to tear the seam off an old bit of clothing, twist it into a cord, then pull it back & forth in the slot whilst I hold the wheel between my belly and the front of the bench. Brushes are good for wetting and loosening the dirt, but not very good at getting it off unless you use gallons of thinners as a rinse.
This is The One True Way to do cassettes*
And it is very therapeutic

*Shame it's not nearly as good on chainrings - but an oily old sponge is quite good for those.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you have access to one, a pressure washer is handy for cleaning bikes, obviously don't point it straight at the bearings, if the jetwash can be run off the hot tap,and the crud is fresh, you may find that you need no brushes. If the crud is old and hard, it can be made susceptible to swift removal using even a feeble and cold jetwash by breaking it up (eg. between the sprockets) using an old spoke. IME even after it has been deflected once, the high pressure water can still get past some seals but this doesn't seem to happen in the same way, provided the seals are very good/ have been recently regreased. At one time, my ride-to-work bike got jetwashed every day and most of the things on it got regreased once a month. This was a major step forward, because for the first time ever, winter road salt didn't get much of a chance to wreak the usual havoc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~