Where can I get a cleaning brush

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
axel_knutt

Re: Where can I get a cleaning brush

Post by axel_knutt »

mattheus wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 2:44pm
axel_knutt wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 2:13pm The way I clean between sprockets is to tear the seam off an old bit of clothing, twist it into a cord, then pull it back & forth in the slot whilst I hold the wheel between my belly and the front of the bench. Brushes are good for wetting and loosening the dirt, but not very good at getting it off unless you use gallons of thinners as a rinse.
*Shame it's not nearly as good on chainrings - but an oily old sponge is quite good for those.
A thin rag wrapped over a toothbrush works well for me. The rag gets the crud off, and the bristles push it into the crevices it wouldn't otherwise reach.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have been happily using something similar to this for a couple of years now. Mine was from Toolstation and was described as a wallpaper brush.
It’s got soft bristles so doesn’t harm paintwork but because they are quite tightly packed it does a good job of shifting caked muck if you use a stabbing motion.
49BDE001-3DE0-4026-97FF-CBF8A042A131.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Probably a lot cheaper than a bike-specific brush too.
maanderx

Post by maanderx »

£2.49 (inc postage) from www.diy.com

https://www.diy.com/departments/tile-an ... 003_BQ.prd

I've just ordered one.
AKA De Sisti
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

For a deep clean,I,ll remove the chain,put into a container with white spirit,agitate energetically,do it again with fresh stuff,wipe clean,hang up and....set fire to it :shock:
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Brucey wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 4:21pm if you have access to one, a pressure washer is handy for cleaning bikes, obviously don't point it straight at the bearings, if the jetwash can be run off the hot tap,and the crud is fresh, you may find that you need no brushes. If the crud is old and hard, it can be made susceptible to swift removal using even a feeble and cold jetwash by breaking it up (eg. between the sprockets) using an old spoke. IME even after it has been deflected once, the high pressure water can still get past some seals but this doesn't seem to happen in the same way, provided the seals are very good/ have been recently regreased. At one time, my ride-to-work bike got jetwashed every day and most of the things on it got regreased once a month. This was a major step forward, because for the first time ever, winter road salt didn't get much of a chance to wreak the usual havoc.
I have not done this BECAUSE of that reason, so, wheel rims, cassette, chain, frame!
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

maanderx wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 7:46pm £2.49 (inc postage) from www.diy.com

I've just ordered one.
yes! like that
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

peetee wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 5:48pm I have been happily using something similar to this for a couple of years now. Mine was from Toolstation and was described as a wallpaper brush.
It’s got soft bristles so doesn’t harm paintwork but because they are quite tightly packed it does a good job of shifting caked muck if you use a stabbing motion. 49BDE001-3DE0-4026-97FF-CBF8A042A131.jpeg
100%
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Eyebrox wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 1:08pm I use this brush. Halfords do an interior version and an exterior version. The interior one has softer bristles but is firm enough to clean up cassettes and mechs.
The brushes unfortunately have doubled in price since I last bought them a couple of years ago.

Screenshot_20240301-130434.png
Yes :)
AUTISTIC and proud
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

peetee wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 5:48pm I have been happily using something similar to this for a couple of years now. Mine was from Toolstation and was described as a wallpaper brush.
It’s got soft bristles so doesn’t harm paintwork but because they are quite tightly packed it does a good job of shifting caked muck if you use a stabbing motion. 49BDE001-3DE0-4026-97FF-CBF8A042A131.jpeg
That's identical to the brush I use for washing the non-greasy bits with water, except the bristles on mine still have the residue of the Sandtex I painted the house render with.
Pinhead wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 1:28pm
maanderx wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 7:46pm £2.49 (inc postage) from www.diy.com

I've just ordered one.
yes! like that
That's quite similar to the kitchen Bridget brush I use.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

There's one in our cludge nobody's using right now...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Can anyone recommend a brush for cleaning that green brush?

Thanks

Jonathan
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Mar 2024, 9:33am Can anyone recommend a brush for cleaning that green brush?

Thanks

Jonathan
That should be good for another two pages of posts!