Night p*nct*re scenario comes to pass

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
UpWrong

Night p*nct*re scenario comes to pass

Post by UpWrong »

The event I feared finally happened, a rear puncture 2 miles into my 24 mile ride home as dusk was starting to descend. It was a 35mm rusty screw entirely embedded in my almost new Marathon GG 47-559. A passing cyclist helped me to remove the screw by unscrewing it with a gloved hand.

I carry a can of Zefal sealant so tried to squirt that through the presta valve. Much of it didn’t go in and the can didn’t empty. When I unscrewed the connector it removed the valve core with it and the sealant came gushing out. I replaced the valve core, spun the wheel quite a bit and waited before trying to pump the tyre. No joy.

And now it was totally dark and the icy wind was getting up. Plan B, the Gaadi inner tube. Instructions are to part inflate before inserting so I had to convert my mini hand pump from Presta to Schraeder, and I’d forgotten how to and bits fell out of the pump head onto the ground which I didn’t even realise at first in the dark. Now with a battery torch in my mouth I reassembled the pump, removed one side of the tyre, cut the existing inner tube away and inserted the Gaadi before refitting the tyre. Then lengthy inflation from the hand pump. Success.

Wins: the Gaadi inner tube, having a bike centre stand, carrying scissors, a pump for both valve types, a battery light to see by.

Fails: the can of sealant, forgetting how to convert the pump, lack of pliers for pulling stuff out of tyres perhaps.

Turning an electric bike upside down to work on is traumatic so I’m relieved that I didn’t have to so can stop worrying about that. And good to know Gaadi tubes work, though in good weather might be worth trying to patch a tube in situ first. I won’t bother carrying sealant in future.

EDIT: the failed sealant was Zefal, not Lezyne.
Last edited by UpWrong on 10 Mar 2024, 9:32pm, edited 2 times in total.
freeflow

Re: Night p*nct*re scenario comes to pass

Post by freeflow »

Get a head torch. Makes like a lot easier.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

UpWrong wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 3:43pm The event I feared finally happened, a rear puncture 2 miles into my 24 mile ride home as dusk was starting to descend. It was a 35mm rusty screw entirely embedded in my almost new Marathon GG 47-559. A passing cyclist helped me to remove the screw by unscrewing it with a gloved hand.

<snip>

I won’t bother carrying sealant in future.
I suspect any sealant would have struggled with the hole from a 35mm screw.
That's well into the territory where you'll be needing a Dynaplug (or similar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Ugxe3fTNo
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

freeflow wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 5:22pm Get a head torch. Makes like a lot easier.
A head torch would have been good. Yet one more thing to carry I suppose. I'll keep an eye out for one.
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

rareposter wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 6:25pm I suspect any sealant would have struggled with the hole from a 35mm screw.
That's well into the territory where you'll be needing a Dynaplug (or similar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Ugxe3fTNo
Dynaplug is for tubeless tyres, not tubes. And as an aside Dynaplugs can take a fair bit of effort too, I've found (on motorbike tyres anyway), because they need to be a tight fit to seal. This one was definitely a 'replace the tube' solution I'd say, and the OP did very well!

Flipping the bike is less stressful if you have space to lay it down first, and then turn it upside down. Then you're only having to lift up half the weight, in effect. Trying to flip it in mid-air can be painful on the back / impossible, depending in the weight of the bike.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I carry Vitoria's version of the emergency inflate & seal (think they call it "Put Stop"). Had to use it once and it worked easily and well. Presta valves. Just a push onto valve and hold down whilst filling tube. All the contents (air and sealant) went into the tube and a few mins later I was back on the road.

Different brands do have different methods of connecting. When trying to replace my used Vittoria one LBS only had a different brand with small tube and some sort of screw connector. Not used the replacement though I have also purchased more Vittoria ones online as cost is worth it for something you know works well.

Ian
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

richtea99 wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 7:09pm Flipping the bike is less stressful if you have space to lay it down first, and then turn it upside down. Then you're only having to lift up half the weight, in effect. Trying to flip it in mid-air can be painful on the back / impossible, depending in the weight of the bike.
The other problem inverting an eBike is, on mine at least, needing to get the screen out of the way first so it doesn't get damaged, which can involve rotating the brake lever to get access to the bolts.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for sharing the experience. It's a useful reminder to have a plan for adverse incidents.

Totally agree about the value of a lamp that can go on your head. My Petzl is used for all sorts of things at home, in the workshop, walking on roads, and makes an acceptable bike headlamp. It's also excellent at helping to spot spiders at night. I like having two levels of brightness, a diffuser widget, and a flashing mode.

For the screw I'd have used the pliers on the multitool that's nearly always with me. That's a general purpose multitool, not bike specific, and currently it's a Victorinox Spirit, Really good alignment of the tips and I don't take any other pliers on the bike. As with the head torch that's always in the pannier/ rucksack/work bag... unless I'm concerned about the blade being checked.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UpWrong wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 6:49pm
freeflow wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 5:22pm Get a head torch. Makes like a lot easier.
A head torch would have been good. Yet one more thing to carry I suppose. I'll keep an eye out for one.
Petzl Headlamp Finder:
https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Headl ... ose#/start

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

UpWrong wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 3:43pm I carry a can of Lezyne sealant so tried to squirt that through the presta valve. Much of it didn’t go in and the can didn’t empty.
I have a can of the Vittoria Pitstop, I've seen it used but haven't done so myself, it seals and inflates and as long as you are able to get the can on straight I see no reason for it not to get into the tube. It's a press fit like a Co2 cannister.
Of course, as rareposter says, if it's a big hole in the tube, none of these sealants will work. Though I've known big objects make a surprisingly small hole in the tube, so maybe if you could have got it in, it still might have worked.
Another downside of such sealants is the mess they create can make patching harder. I think in your situation, a patch would have been my first choice, then only the Gaadi tube if I was unable to do so. That's my preference on any bike, unless there's good reason not to (Rushing somewhere, rain, holding a group up...) It's the only option that returns you to the pre deflation state.
Bottom line of course is you had an issue and you sorted it, job done.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 11:43am
UpWrong wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 3:43pm I carry a can of Lezyne sealant so tried to squirt that through the presta valve. Much of it didn’t go in and the can didn’t empty.
I have a can of the Vittoria Pitstop, I've seen it used but haven't done so myself, it seals and inflates and as long as you are able to get the can on straight I see no reason for it not to get into the tube. It's a press fit like a Co2 cannister.
The stuff I used (as posted above). Worked well, all (both air & sealant) went in tube. Didn't try and patch the tube once home but just replaced it with new tube (extravagant), though no issues with sealant on inside of tyre.

Ian
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 11:54am
The stuff I used (as posted above). Worked well, all (both air & sealant) went in tube. Didn't try and patch the tube once home but just replaced it with new tube (extravagant), though no issues with sealant on inside of tyre.

Ian
To be fair the sealant instructions were to have the valve in the 12 o'clock postion but because I hadn't inverted the bike this wasn't possible because the rack and seat stays got in the way. So I had the valve in the 2 o'clock position. Or maybe the problem was the poor seal with the valve stem because it was clear that not all of the sealant was entering the tube.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

UpWrong wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 5:25pm
Psamathe wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 11:54am

Ian
To be fair the sealant instructions were to have the valve in the 12 o'clock postion but because I hadn't inverted the bike this wasn't possible because the rack and seat stays got in the way. So I had the valve in the 2 o'clock position. Or maybe the problem was the poor seal with the valve stem because it was clear that not all of the sealant was entering the tube.
When I used my Vitoria Put Stop stuff valve was at 6 o'clock position. Don't know what the instructions said as had had the can for several years and when used I was cold so don't remember reading much of the small text on the can! Probably just thought can facing down would allow gravity to help sealant into tube. Whatever the correct way, what I did worked fine.

Zian
mjr

Post by mjr »

UpWrong wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 5:25pm Or maybe the problem was the poor seal with the valve stem because it was clear that not all of the sealant was entering the tube.
Almost certainly, I think. Screw connectors need to be pretty tight else much of the gunk takes the easiest way out and maybe not enough gets into the tube to coat the needed spot.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Definitely worth having a headtorch for night time punctures and other mechanicals. If it's bright enough to use as a back-up light for riding by, extra good. Unlike Jonathan up thread, I wouldn't go for Petzl – not well made IME – many other brands available eg Fenix.