Cateye cycle speedo/computer adds stealth miles overnight?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
deliquium

Cateye cycle speedo/computer adds stealth miles overnight?

Post by deliquium »

I keep 3 bikes in a substantial stone built, strongly locked 'shed' that also houses my property's oil fired CH boiler and a washing machine. I'm sure the bikes appreciate the warmth and security.

One of the bikes has a Cateye Strada Slim wireless cycle computer. Some days/nights the odometer adds mileages to itself. Never subtracts. This will be anywhere between 1 mile to 20 miles - but mostly towards the smaller amounts. It doesn't happen every night.

Why?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Jdsk

Re: Cateye cycle speedo/computer adds stealth miles overnight?

Post by Jdsk »

How about some infrared video recording?

; - )

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Have you checked the max speed?

I had trouble with my Cateye 7, particularly in China. I'd lean the bike somewhere and then notice I was doing over 100 kph. I'd quickly move it somewhere else.

I could check if it had happened and I hadn't noticed by looking at max speed.

Some rogue wireless signals were interfering with it.

My guess is one of your devices in the shed? Or the mice on their evening work out.
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

You have mice
Attachments
m.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

deliquium wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 2:10pmwireless cycle computer
simonhill wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 2:25pmSome rogue wireless signals were interfering with it.
Try wrapping it in some kitchen foil.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

deliquium wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 2:10pm Some days/nights the odometer adds mileages to itself.
Why?
Magnetic interference. Wireless cycle computers are prone to it; sometimes it can come from a battery light mounted near the unit on the bars, sometimes from parking the bike next to iron railings.

My guess is your great big oil-fired boiler (or some of the systems within it like a pump) are setting up magnetic fields and it's triggering the readout.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Thanks all🙏

I did check the max speed and that was ok.

And if I remove the computer head unit and bring it upstairs to the kitchen or living room overnight - the mileage stays put everytime.
rareposter wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 3:52pm My guess is your great big oil-fired boiler (or some of the systems within it like a pump) are setting up magnetic fields and it's triggering the readout.
I've always suspected the relatively new (10 years) not so great big actually, Worcester Bosch boiler to be a ne'er do well sly and shifty sort, always trying its best to upset me it is, mainly in other less mysterious ways :evil:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I posted this a few years ago about my Cateye Speedo stopping working temporarily while cycling past the Skelton Transmitting Station. You might find some of the replies about radio/magnetic interference interesting

viewtopic.php?p=1364596&hilit=Cateye#p1364596
geomannie
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

geomannie wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 5:38pm I posted this a few years ago about my Cateye Speedo stopping working temporarily while cycling past the Skelton Transmitting Station. You might find some of the replies about radio/magnetic interference interesting

viewtopic.php?p=1364596&hilit=Cateye#p1364596
Thanks geomannie👍
Current pedalable joys

Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Of course it's the boiler. They are notoriously shifty...quite violent if you cross them. They were originally called Worcester Bosh!, but they changed the name to make it sound less gangland. My advice would be don't make eye contact and back away slowly.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

When I put my cycle computer on the desk next to my laptop it does erratic speeds of up to 100-ish mph. I blame Harald Bluetooth.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Has either the washing machine or the boiler got an electromechanical timer or controller? They are prone to create electromagnetic interference by micro-arcs at the contacts as they “move on” through a programme. Another possibility is arcing at motor brushes in a CH pump motor, or even a contactor/relay in the pump control circuit arcing as it opens to turn-off the pump.

Arcing emits a random selection of frequencies, and can interfere with overly-sensitive devices.

Decades ago, when electronic devices weren’t sensibly immune to electromagnetic interference we bought a new doorbell with a remote, wirelessly linked, sounder and answered the door to Mister Nobody numerous times before realising that the washing machine programmer was triggering the bell.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Nearholmer wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 12:08pm Decades ago, when electronic devices weren’t sensibly immune to electromagnetic interference we bought a new doorbell with a remote, wirelessly linked, sounder and answered the door to Mister Nobody numerous times before realising that the washing machine programmer was triggering the bell.
When I was in the local amateur radio club we had the whole ballroom dancing club assembled in the bus park outside the Community Centre when someone's top band transmitter set off the fire alarm.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Some years ago I had a wireless cycle computer which showed a speed reading of 99mph, and logged mileage accordingly, whenever it was near a railway with an overhead power line. I have stuck to wire-connected ones ever since.