Holland - Short Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Holland - Short Tour

Post by mjr »

Dupont wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 4:57pm
mjr wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 3:17pm
Dupont wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 2:50pm
Thanks. Does the Dutch hostel system have a website do you know?
https://www.stayokay.com/en

They're OK. Only criticism is the cafeteria offerings tend to be samey and uninspiring.
Thanks.

They are quite pricey too. I guess that is just the way it is now. I haven't been to Holland for a while.

Now I am wondering whether France would be a cheaper option. 🤔
Everywhere is more expensive than it used to be. Inflation and the mighty great british peso :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

mjr wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 10:27pm
Dupont wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 4:57pm
mjr wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 3:17pm

https://www.stayokay.com/en

They're OK. Only criticism is the cafeteria offerings tend to be samey and uninspiring.
Thanks.

They are quite pricey too. I guess that is just the way it is now. I haven't been to Holland for a while.

Now I am wondering whether France would be a cheaper option. 🤔
Everywhere is more expensive than it used to be. Inflation and the mighty great british peso :-(
The ferry to Dieppe is very reasonable. £153 return for us both. Harwich to H of H is £422.
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

Dupont wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 8:48pm I have just priced this up shaving a couple of days off it. Overnight sailing return, budget hotel 3 nights, fuel and parking at Harwich, meals for two over the 5 days is coming out at around £1050 to £1100. My Mrs won't camp so I best start looking at other touring options. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
That's on the money I'd say.
There's a few Dutch travel companies, that offer trips using hotels, they carry baggage, supply the route, you do the riding, but it's on a 2 sharing basis , actually it may be slightly cheaper , but for a long weekend somewhere in the region of €800 , plus travel.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

Grldtnr wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 9:55am
Dupont wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 8:48pm I have just priced this up shaving a couple of days off it. Overnight sailing return, budget hotel 3 nights, fuel and parking at Harwich, meals for two over the 5 days is coming out at around £1050 to £1100. My Mrs won't camp so I best start looking at other touring options. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
That's on the money I'd say.
There's a few Dutch travel companies, that offer trips using hotels, they carry baggage, supply the route, you do the riding, but it's on a 2 sharing basis , actually it may be slightly cheaper , but for a long weekend somewhere in the region of €800 , plus travel.
Out of my reach unfortunately. Very frustrating! The ferry to France is much cheaper, so I may look at that option. Either that or it is just days trips in England.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

If money is tight (and it is for most people these days) I’d think about timing too. May is a pretty cheap month in many places but it’s good light and (often) decent weather - just avoid travelling at the same time as those doing May half term (accommodation overseas is generally unaffected by our half term unless it’s somewhere popular with the British or you are booking via a British company). My budget for a fortnight is £1200-1500 solo including ferries and trains if I’m using hotels- annoyingly it’s generally little difference between 2 and 1 for the hotel cost. It’s possibly to go for cheaper hotels but I tend to take care I’m not cutting all the holiday fun out and look for things like Wi-Fi, my own loo, often some outdoor space and somewhere to put the bike.

I found that the places with plenty of accommodation can be best value - so along the Loire for instance is pretty reasonable outside peak season as there’s a well established tourist industry. Quieter places often have a fixed price they apply whatever the time of year. I would agree that France may be cheaper than the Netherlands. The shorter ferry crossings are cheaper than the overnight ones but you have to sleep somewhere and the cabins are a reasonable price usually- similar to hotel rooms.

I’ve just been contemplating going to the Italian Adriatic coast next May and that looks good value- the worst bit will be either the train to and from home and the airport or the car parking at the airport.
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

MrsHJ wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 10:58am If money is tight (and it is for most people these days) I’d think about timing too. May is a pretty cheap month in many places but it’s good light and (often) decent weather - just avoid travelling at the same time as those doing May half term (accommodation overseas is generally unaffected by our half term unless it’s somewhere popular with the British or you are booking via a British company). My budget for a fortnight is £1200-1500 solo including ferries and trains if I’m using hotels- annoyingly it’s generally little difference between 2 and 1 for the hotel cost. It’s possibly to go for cheaper hotels but I tend to take care I’m not cutting all the holiday fun out and look for things like Wi-Fi, my own loo, often some outdoor space and somewhere to put the bike.

I found that the places with plenty of accommodation can be best value - so along the Loire for instance is pretty reasonable outside peak season as there’s a well established tourist industry. Quieter places often have a fixed price they apply whatever the time of year. I would agree that France may be cheaper than the Netherlands. The shorter ferry crossings are cheaper than the overnight ones but you have to sleep somewhere and the cabins are a reasonable price usually- similar to hotel rooms.

I’ve just been contemplating going to the Italian Adriatic coast next May and that looks good value- the worst bit will be either the train to and from home and the airport or the car parking at the airport.
Great post. I was planning for September. I have made a few very quick searches and France is definitely cheaper than Holland ferry and hotel wise. Not sure about food though?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Hotel picnic can save money or pizza is widely available (I alternate so if I’m doing a 3 week trip I’ll eat out a couple of times a week, have takeaway pizza once or twice a week and room picnic the other nights- I often get a *room with actual cooking facilities) and good value for hungry cyclists. plus france is pretty reasonable for food compared to the uk breakfast can be had from the local boulangerie as can lunch. Watch out for restricted opening hours though.

Eg an aparthotel but sometimes one room apartments are available.
mjr

Post by mjr »

In France, keep an eye out for Pizza-minute, Distribpain and similar vending machines, the likes of which we rarely see in England.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

We took are also doing mini tour of Holland
Imudgen to lieden to Utrecht to Amersfoort to Amsterdam to haarlem

It's my responsibility to route from imudgen to Leiden ...I was routing us primarily through the flower fields via hillegom ,,,keukemhof gardens ,lisse,,sassenhiem,,,warmold then finish at LIEDEN
Previous years we cycled down the coast and beach route so we want a total alternative this time

my qwestion to you experience travellers would be for any advice or recommendations of places to pass through from imudgen to lieden

I will also use the app for Holland provided earlier post

Thanks everyone