Holland - Short Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dupont

Re: Holland - Short Tour

Post by Dupont »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:08pm
Dupont wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 8:01pm I am just a little concerned about day 2 and whether Leiden to Utrecht is a little optimistic distance wise.
It's not that far (maybe 35'ish miles) but to some that too far but to others not far at all. But it's flat, no hills. Worst is sometimes you might get headwind but that applies anywhere in NL

Ian
That is within my capabilities with an early start. 👍
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Dupont wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:18pm
Dupont wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 8:01pm I am just a little concerned about day 2 and whether Leiden to Utrecht is a little optimistic distance wise.
It's not that far (maybe 35'ish miles) but to some that too far but to others not far at all. But it's flat, no hills. Worst is sometimes you might get headwind but that applies anywhere in NL

Ian
If you are uncertain about routes, distances, hills, etc. check routes using https://cycle.travel. Good for very cycle friendly routes but also altitude profile for the ride.

Of course distances depend on exactly where you start from and where you are staying overnight which can add or reduce distances a bit.

Ian
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:31pm
Dupont wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:18pm

Ian
If you are uncertain about routes, distances, hills, etc. check routes using https://cycle.travel. Good for very cycle friendly routes but also altitude profile for the ride.

Of course distances depend on exactly where you start from and where you are staying overnight which can add or reduce distances a bit.

Ian
Yes, that is an excellent app. I used it to plan my route for my ride to Chester and back next weekend. 👍
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

This site has a great planner for routes specific to NL. I find it better than cycle.travel (for NL). It has an English version and the planner will give you all the ‘knoordpunts’ (sp?) that you need to head for. This is very useful as names are not always used on signposts. You’ll be able to work out routes to a very detailed level.

https://www.hollandcyclingroutes.com/on ... te-planner

Martyn
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

CliveyT wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:13pm Would be going right past de Molen brewery so I would have the problem of getting 'delayed' in Bodegraven
I’m going to Gouda in May (with my Brompton), this is now on my list of places to visit!
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

bohrsatom wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 8:08am
CliveyT wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:13pm Would be going right past de Molen brewery so I would have the problem of getting 'delayed' in Bodegraven
I’m going to Gouda in May (with my Brompton), this is now on my list of places to visit!
The most scenic route is to head towards Gouda Gouverwelle station, head up through the Goudse Hout country park and then wend your way between what look like gravel pits towards Bodegraven. Longer, but certainly more pleasant than the direct route to the wast of the pits. There's also a cheese farm on the other side of the river in Bodegraven, but seeing you're staying in Gouda you'll probably have had enough of cheese by then
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

CliveyT wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 10:19am but seeing you're staying in Gouda you'll probably have had enough of cheese by then
I'm not sure I've ever had enough of cheese :lol:
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

Accommodation in Holland is expensive! 😭😭😭😭😭
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

Vrienden ops de fiets, is a members B &B, €25 a night, plus members fee's and local tax.
It's like Warm showers, is only for hikers, cyclist & public transport, you call one or 2 nights ahead , to see if theu can put you up, run mainly by retirees and widowed, its polite to sit and chat with them, for a while, some do it for the company.
,but it's clean ,homely and good company, you can make your excuses and retire .

Utrecht is very busy place, a little touristy. As most big cities are, but worth while lingering., same as Den Haag.

As for night sailing , it's the best way I think. especially if your traveling on at arrival, the price of a cabin, is less than finding a room ashore, and no hassle , a no brainer!
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

LucyEliz wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 7:34pm I’ve cycled all of that. You’ll have a wonderful time.

If you want free up some time to see a bit of Rotterdam and Delft on your way from Dordrecht back to Hoek, you could save on cycling time by taking the boat from Dordrecht to Rotterdam. It’s really nice and it docks right beside the Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam. https://www.waterbus.nl/
That's a great tip on the waterbus, thinking about getting to Dordrecht, but it's only 3 to 4 hrs to the Hoek from Dordrecht.
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

Grldtnr wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 8:17am Vrienden ops de fiets, is a members B &B, €25 a night, plus members fee's and local tax.
It's like Warm showers, is only for hikers, cyclist & public transport, you call one or 2 nights ahead , to see if theu can put you up, run mainly by retirees and widowed, its polite to sit and chat with them, for a while, some do it for the company.
,but it's clean ,homely and good company, you can make your excuses and retire .

Utrecht is very busy place, a little touristy. As most big cities are, but worth while lingering., same as Den Haag.

As for night sailing , it's the best way I think. especially if your traveling on at arrival, the price of a cabin, is less than finding a room ashore, and no hassle , a no brainer!
Thanks. Does the Dutch hostel system have a website do you know?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Dupont wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 2:50pm
https://www.stayokay.com/en

They're OK. Only criticism is the cafeteria offerings tend to be samey and uninspiring.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

mjr wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 3:17pm

They're OK. Only criticism is the cafeteria offerings tend to be samey and uninspiring.
Thanks.

They are quite pricey too. I guess that is just the way it is now. I haven't been to Holland for a while.

Now I am wondering whether France would be a cheaper option. 🤔
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

mjr wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 3:17pm

Stayokay, is fine, but there isn't a big network of hostels, I was looking to do that during April ,go Dutch hostelling, but i think, its the same problem thats affecting Brit hostels, it doesnt seem possible to book single beds, its rooms or nothing else,a carry over from COVID.
But the great joy of Dutch cycling is the infrastructure, all the facilities they enjoy it's a cycling Utopia.
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

I have just priced this up shaving a couple of days off it. Overnight sailing return, budget hotel 3 nights, fuel and parking at Harwich, meals for two over the 5 days is coming out at around £1050 to £1100. My Mrs won't camp so I best start looking at other touring options. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭