crazyguyonabike site

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RecumbentRide

crazyguyonabike site

Post by RecumbentRide »

Just noticed the site below is fundraising to avoid having to host ads and to keep going. I've known about this webite for donkeys years and it hosts many amazing journals of touring cyclists. It's an amazing resource that I think should be supported and reminds me of the Internet Archive. Pop along and have a look.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com
mattheus

Re: crazyguyonabike site

Post by mattheus »

RecumbentRide wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 11:23pm Just noticed the site below is fundraising to avoid having to host ads and to keep going. I've known about this webite for donkeys years and it hosts many amazing journals of touring cyclists. It's an amazing resource that I think should be supported and reminds me of the Internet Archive. Pop along and have a look.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com
They seem like a worthy cause. Quite a close kinship to this one, IMO. Lots of cool stuff, just found this https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/blog/bo ... ted=0&v=15
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Amazing I especially love the rocket bicycle which was the last postcard. I think you could spend months reading through people's journals. So many good ideas for planning the next tour 😃
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'd heard that the guy who runs Crazyguy can be a bit awkward. I can't remember details but I think a number of contributors 'left'.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

simonhill wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 3:36pm I'd heard that the guy who runs Crazyguy can be a bit awkward. I can't remember details but I think a number of contributors 'left'.
What an odd thing to add to the thread :( Who cares?

I don't care if he was an axe murderer in his past life. He doesn't even have to be of good character for us to enjoy and even support his site. If the site had to be taken down I just think it would be a sad, sad loss.

Trust me there is no shortage of awkward people on here! I might even be one of them :D
gom

Post by gom »

"awkward" here could be an example of meiosis.
I understand that https://www.cycleblaze.com/ was created as a result.
Spoken as a reader of neither.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

The things you learn on this forum! I thought meiosis was a purely biological process, but apparently it’s also a synonym for litotes. And of course everyone knows what that is.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

RecumbentRide wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 4:12pm
simonhill wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 3:36pm I'd heard that the guy who runs Crazyguy can be a bit awkward. I can't remember details but I think a number of contributors 'left'.
What an odd thing to add to the thread :( Who cares?

I don't care if he was an axe murderer in his past life. He doesn't even have to be of good character for us to enjoy and even support his site. If the site had to be taken down I just think it would be a sad, sad loss.

Trust me there is no shortage of awkward people on here! I might even be one of them :D
What an odd thing to add to the thread.

The post is about seeking financial contributions. Apparently the guy who runs it has made some unpleasant remarks and people have left others thrown off. This means there are less contributions of journals and presumably money. Hence his fundraising.

I thought this was relevant to the post.

Additionally:

Some journals I had been using for info have 'disappeared ', so its certainly not the font of all knowledge it used to be.
irc

Post by irc »

simonhill wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 1:54am
Some journals I had been using for info have 'disappeared ', so its certainly not the font of all knowledge it used to be.
That happens as the journals are the property of the author not the site. As for the owner. He is opinionated and expresses strong opinions. That said it only effects the forums and there is no need to use them. In fact compared to previous years the forums are quiet. As result of general changes in social media or site specific who knows? In any case having a very divisive owner hasn't stopped people using Twitter.

It is a useful site IMO whether you use the forums or not.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

irc wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 5:18pm
simonhill wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 1:54am
That happens as the journals are the property of the author not the site. As for the owner. He is opinionated and expresses strong opinions. That said it only effects the forums and there is no need to use them. In fact compared to previous years the forums are quiet. As result of general changes in social media or site specific who knows? In any case having a very divisive owner hasn't stopped people using Twitter.

It is a useful site IMO whether you use the forums or not.
Quite agree. It's my go-to site for touring info and I've contributed 6+ tours.
Last edited by matt2matt2002 on 31 Mar 2024, 10:03am, edited 2 times in total.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Apparently my post was about seeking financial contributions for Crazyguyonabike!! REALLY! Next I'll be accused of getting commission.

The post was about highlighting the fact that the chap is fundraising AND it's a valuable resource. I believe there is a difference.

I'm completely unaware of the site owner's political views and about his personal life and issues. What I think is admirable is he is intent on keeping the site going without ads. I've seen other sites where you can barely see the content for ads.

Far too many people consume content on the web and expect it to be free and then critise when the quality of the content is not what they expect or they don't like the site owner's personal views. What is changing is a lot more sites are now charging subscription fees. I use a lot of sites for their valuable content, pay little or nothing, but honestly if I have to worry about the owner's/contributors views I'd just give up. Who does that?

Simon in your contributions you've not said one postive thing about the site or it's owner but you happily use/used it. That's what pisses me off. Some people are too quick to criticise and knock others.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

RecumbentRide wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 7:10pm Apparently my post was about seeking financial contributions for Crazyguyonabike!! REALLY! Next I'll be accused of getting commission.

The post was about highlighting the fact that the chap is fundraising AND it's a valuable resource. I believe there is a difference.

I'm completely unaware of the site owner's political views and about his personal life and issues. What I think is admirable is he is intent on keeping the site going without ads. I've seen other sites where you can barely see the content for ads.

Far too many people consume content on the web and expect it to be free and then critise when the quality of the content is not what they expect or they don't like the site owner's personal views. What is changing is a lot more sites are now charging subscription fees. I use a lot of sites for their valuable content, pay little or nothing, but honestly if I have to worry about the owner's/contributors views I'd just give up. Who does that?

Simon in your contributions you've not said one postive thing about the site or it's owner but you happily use/used it. That's what pisses me off. Some people are too quick to criticise and knock others.
Agree 100%. Nail on the head.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

I have one journal on Crazyguy and in response to the recent fundraising email I donated. I also replied to the email with some questions. He replied and was very helpful. The email exchange went on for a wee while.

However I am not wedded to Crazyguy so I will have a look at Cycleblaze and see if it will be any easier to use on the road.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

RecumbentRide wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 7:10pm
I am not sure that Simon does use Crazyguy. I have searched for him and found nothing.

Simon has been very helpful and supportive to me in planning my next long tour, even spending over an hour on the phone just before Xmas. We haven't met but my interpretation is that he is not a journal type of guy so I would guess he hasn't use crazyguy at all.

I may be wrong tho'.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Recumbent. I'm sorry I *issed you off.

I thought I was giving background info on Crazyguy's site need to raise funds. I certainly never accused you of seeking funds, please reread what I wrote.

There was nothing in favour of Crazyguy in the post because I was posting about the reasons for cash shortfall. If you followed my posts on different forums over the last 25 years you would have seen innumerable recommendations from me for Crazyguy - probably running into many hundreds. It was my main go to on the old Lonely Planet Thorn Tree On Your Bike Forum where I had many thousands of posts.

Navrig is right I don't journalise on Crazyguy, it's not my thing. I do try to answer any forum posts on the subjects I know best. As Navrig said, I have offered and had many phone calls and a few meetings with people interested in going to where I tour. I even recall a number of PM exchanges giving detailed local info to mattmatt, glad he's *issed off with me too.

You seem to have read what I wrote in your own way which certainly wasn't how I thought I wrote it. I'm happy to apologise, but not sure for what. Nonetheless I'll keep on doing what I do, advising and encouraging people about long haul touring, which includes recommending Crazyguy when appropriate.