Cycling motivation survey - looking for participants

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
almostvegancyclist

Cycling motivation survey - looking for participants

Post by almostvegancyclist »

Hello!

My name is Jimin, I'm a Cycling UK member & audax cyclist & psychology student living in Cardiff.

I'm doing a survey on what motivates people to cycle, for any purposes, in the UK. The data collected will be used for my MSc project. Please take a look when you have spare time, it only takes 5-10 minutes. Participation will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Link: https://openss.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/S ... 64LmVgrjJs

Last edited by almostvegancyclist on 16 Mar 2024, 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: Cycling motivation survey - looking for participants

Post by gaz »

Done
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
almostvegancyclist

gaz wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 2:34pmDone
Thank you!
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Done - however to further quantify my responses, in live in a village in the middle of the Somerset levels which is quite rural.
Most of the routes I take involve a combination of roads, farm tracks, mixed walking and cycle ways, and urban cut throughs.
I suspect the responses you'll receive will be based on two things - the riders age and where they live (and by that the number of cycling facilities in the questionnaire's immediate environment)...
..I'm also suspecting a spilt in the responses as well - for those who cycle for fitness going of less times in a given period (but probably for longer) compared with those who cycle more out of environment concerns who might go out more but cycle for shorter periods...

.but..equally I've been so very wrong on this forum before :-)
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

Done.
Is your MSC in cycology :lol: :lol: ?
almostvegancyclist

cycle tramp wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 3:07pm Done - however to further quantify my responses, in live in a village in the middle of the Somerset levels which is quite rural.
Most of the routes I take involve a combination of roads, farm tracks, mixed walking and cycle ways, and urban cut throughs.
I suspect the responses you'll receive will be based on two things - the riders age and where they live (and by that the number of cycling facilities in the questionnaire's immediate environment)...
..I'm also suspecting a spilt in the responses as well - for those who cycle for fitness going of less times in a given period (but probably for longer) compared with those who cycle more out of environment concerns who might go out more but cycle for shorter periods...

.but..equally I've been so very wrong on this forum before :-)
Thanks for your observations, I'll make sure to share my results!
almostvegancyclist

Mr.Benton wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 3:27pm Done.
Is your MSC in cycology :lol: :lol: ?
SwiftyDoesIt

Post by SwiftyDoesIt »

Done it but several things came up.

Define 'easy' this is too much of a generalisation and has so many variables on any given day.
Define 'bad' weather, this is such a variable factor on any given day and changes mid ride. If you had said 'Extreme' weather (torrential rain, snowing, hail, sub zero or greater than 30C temperatures) this would make it easier to give an answer.
What cycling events, there are many different types?
Define bike parking, propping a bike against a window, wall, railing, bench, lamp-post is 'parking' and is convenient. If ou had said built bike parking this would be clearer as to what you meant
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Yes, location, location, location, or perhaps facilities, facilities, facilities. It makes a huge difference to all this, because the better the facilities, the less strong other motivations need to be.

I’d also love to see some really good psychological research into why people don’t cycle. I mean something that gets beyond the “standard excuses/reasons” (safety in traffic; the weather; hills) and looks for deeper perceptions, what cycling symbolises to people, because I have an inkling that some of not-cycling has roots in self-perception vs perception of cycling/cyclists.

Anyway, good luck with it.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

SwiftyDoesIt wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 4:47pm Done it but several things came up.

There are no third genders, it's male or female, you need a biology lesson!
Oh yes there is . Oh no there isn't.... oh yes there is...

It is possible to be born intersexed perhaps with the testicles in place of the ovaries, and complete hermaphrodites, whilst are very uncommon have existed in the past and no doubt will do again...
...usually for the question of gender I read 'sexuality'.... although if that was the case being utterly truthful I would have has to tick the box which read 'in the dim and distance past'.

.....the future will always be a scary place, but of someone wishes to identify as a man or woman or a further choice, then who am I to deny them of this? And on what moral grounds would I base my argument for doing so?

....and what the devil does it have to do with me anyway? :-)

mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Couple of things that may not be of interest.
a) somewhat urban centric
b) somewhat fanciful, e.g. "I feel free" Twaddle!
In retrospect it doesn't really ask me why I cycle at all . Sorry to be negative , hope it gives you what you need.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Completed. Any chance we can meet up to discuss cycling in detail? Had a crank bolt came loose today, had to be tightened 5 times in 2 miles, had to cut the ride short, new paintwork to the chainstay's seem's ok, but needs a final sand and coat, was abused by a BMW passenger within 3 miles of leaving home today, lambs were fairly indifferent, but Galloway calves........
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Done, some of the questions don't really work if you live rurally.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

b) somewhat fanciful, e.g. "I feel free" Twaddle!
Twaddle, or not, I ticked “very definitely” (or whatever it was) for that one, because it does, and always has, which is possibly why I always come back to it.

In short: what motivates each person is likely to be different.

PS: I hope it doesn’t make you feel confined.
almostvegancyclist

SwiftyDoesIt wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 4:47pm Done it but several things came up.

Define 'easy' this is too much of a generalisation and has so many variables on any given day.
Define 'bad' weather, this is such a variable factor on any given day and changes mid ride. If you had said 'Extreme' weather (torrential rain, snowing, hail, sub zero or greater than 30C temperatures) this would make it easier to give an answer.
What cycling events, there are many different types?
Define bike parking, propping a bike against a window, wall, railing, bench, lamp-post is 'parking' and is convenient. If ou had said built bike parking this would be clearer as to what you meant

There are no third genders, it's male or female, you need a biology lesson!
Thank you for your time and comments! I'm no longer able to change the details of the survey at this stage, but that's helpful to know for future studies.

Regarding the gender issue, some people have non-binary gender, so I wouldn't have been able to get ethical approval without including a third option as excluding such people would be discriminatory.