forums

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Angstrom

Re: forums

Post by Angstrom »

Cowsham wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 9:26am the price of campsites now is getting ridiculous.
Sorry for this silly question, but I've not camped in the UK and would like to cyclo-tour there one day: what's a typical fare for a basic yet ok camping pitch for 2 bike tourers and their small tent?
Here in France, price vary, and I suspect in the UK too. So, let's say not during the high season and most demanded area.
Thank you. Would be good to know before I make plans...
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Simply memories". Jean Taboureau
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Angstrom wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 9:32pm
Cowsham wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 9:26am the price of campsites now is getting ridiculous.
Sorry for this silly question, but I've not camped in the UK and would like to cyclo-tour there one day: what's a typical fare for a basic yet ok camping pitch for 2 bike tourers and their small tent?
Here in France, price vary, and I suspect in the UK too. So, let's say not during the high season and most demanded area.
Roughly about £25 / night no electric hook up and some charge for showers after that ! -- not so long ago I could've booked a premier inn for £29 / night and they made the bed and cleaned the room -- more tea and coffee etc.
I am here. Where are you?
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 12:04am
Angstrom wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 9:32pm
Roughly about £25 / night no electric hook up and some charge for showers after that ! -- not so long ago I could've booked a premier inn for £29 / night and they made the bed and cleaned the room -- more tea and coffee etc.
Thanks.
I too find that the price increase (or level) of campsites vs other hosting alternatives is way too high.
I'm planning a trip to Tuscany and there too, they charge around 9€ to pitch the tent (without electricity and car), + 7-9€ per adult, low season.
9 € is a lot of money for a shower and access to toilets; which is what each adult does for a night.
For me, the right price structure would be a pitch fee proportionate to utilized surface and a variable cost / person around 5€ / adult.
For a small tent and 2 adult bikers, it should come to around 20€/night.
Problem: putting a mobile home on that piece of land allows to generate much more money. There is a real risk that the surface reserved for pitching tents in some commercial campsites will disappear altogether (it has already started in some areas). So much so that there is an online petition in France asking that the name "camping" be reserved to those who do offer a minimum proportion of their surface for pitching tents.
If you agree, you're welcome to sign it!
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Campsite prices? Shop around and you get better deals. I generally contact campsites before I get there and ask for the price for two cyclists and a small tent. This can get you a better deal than turning up and booking a pitch. IMO.
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

Remember the Randonneur rates for camping in France?
Some of the big campsite chains( Yellow is one ) have that deal ,same pitch as big tent and car .
That helped the camp bar as most would eat on site.
Up in the Massif west of Lyon it was targeted at cyclists /hiker's , price was for the bike or rucksack.. Not tent and persons. We had a few that counted the tandem as one , not for the 2, cyclists.
Times have changed and the little municipal camping's are dying out.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

Mtb tourer wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 9:44pm Remember the Randonneur rates for camping in France?
Some of the big campsite chains( Yellow is one ) have that deal ,same pitch as big tent and car .
Up in the Massif west of Lyon it was targeted at cyclists /hiker's , price was for the bike or rucksack.. Not tent and persons. We had a few that counted the tandem as one , not for the 2, cyclists.
Some camp sites are bringing back the "randonneur" prices. They are available for backpackers and cyclists and put aside an area where one can pitch a small tent, without the marked zone of "normal" pitches where folks park their car next to their tent.
Municipals are going down in numbers but there are regions where they still exist in relatively good numbers. It's the very popular areas where they disappear because the private sector invests heavily and the need for a municipal (from the local community's perspective) is not really there. In rural areas, the municipals are seen as a means to sustain the local business.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Angstrom wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 7:03am
Mtb tourer wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 9:44pm Remember the Randonneur rates for camping in France?
Some camp sites are bringing back the "randonneur" prices. They are available for backpackers and cyclists and put aside an area where one can pitch a small tent, without the marked zone of "normal" pitches where folks park their car next to their tent.
Municipals are going down in numbers but there are regions where they still exist in relatively good numbers. It's the very popular areas where they disappear because the private sector invests heavily and the need for a municipal (from the local community's perspective) is not really there. In rural areas, the municipals are seen as a means to sustain the local business.
Yes they are declining in some areas, Strangely this often coincides with spaces being created for camping cars (motor homes) for short stays. I guess the demand for these is greater than tents.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

francovendee wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 7:56am
Angstrom wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 7:03am Some camp sites are bringing back the "randonneur" prices. They are available for backpackers and cyclists and put aside an area where one can pitch a small tent, without the marked zone of "normal" pitches where folks park their car next to their tent.
Yes they are declining in some areas, Strangely this often coincides with spaces being created for camping cars (motor homes) for short stays. I guess the demand for these is greater than tents.
Motor homes areas cost much less to run. Their owners (some of them at least) accept to just park and stay. A bit of water and a place to dump the chemical toilet and good to go. Density of motor homes on those parking lots often surprise me.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Looking around the IoW I've found one that excepts tents ( most were Glampin pods or pre Fab accommodation ) which was grass electric £35 a night.
I am here. Where are you?