GPX devices...Garmin alternative

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

GPX devices...Garmin alternative

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Can anyone recommend a simple, inexpensive alternative to Garmin devices, mainly for use on Audax events? I've got two Garnin devices, an Etrex and a one I inherited from a mate. I find the whole Garmin platform to be really clunky.
I think it's because when you open it as a mass storage device to drop files into, it opens up all the system files etc. Add in a memory card, and the issue is doubled.

I'm not a techno Luddite...it just seems like Garmin are way behind when it comes to intuitive interfaces.
Jdsk

Re: GPX devices...Garmin alternative

Post by Jdsk »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:10pm ...
I think it's because when you open it as a mass storage device to drop files into, it opens up all the system files etc. Add in a memory card, and the issue is doubled.
All the Garmins that I have can be connected both through a Garmin program and as mass storage, which is what I use most of the time. Why is the latter a problem... I copy and paste route files into the appropriate folder and then it automatically imports them.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:10pm Can anyone recommend a simple, inexpensive alternative to Garmin devices, mainly for use on Audax events?
How much performance logging do you want?

And what sort of navigation... does it include turn by turn notification?

And what's the price limit?

There's a lot of alternatives discussed and advocated in the archives.

And D C Rainmaker's wonderful review site:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you already decided that you want a dedicated device rather than using a smart 'phone?

It's probably best to answer this one first in order to avoid a lot of irrelevant responses... ; - )

Jonathan
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Do you have a tablet or smartphone? The more modern Garmins have file transfer over Bluetooth which is far easier than having to drop files into a folder. If you are determined not have a Garmin, then a refurbed V1 Wahoo Bolt can be bought for around £100.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id ... 1VEALw_wcB

Or you can get 2nd hand ones from EBay slightly cheaper. But you’ll still probably need a tablet or smartphone to connect to it.

Bryton GPS units are quite cheap, but I’ve no experience of using one.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:10pm I'm not a techno Luddite...it just seems like Garmin are way behind when it comes to intuitive interfaces.
Newer ones are much better. The older ones were terrible.

Pair it up with the smartphone app, get it all synced to Strava then use Strava for route planning (cos it's way better than Garmin Connect) and it'll just push the route direct to the unit in seconds. It doesn't need plugging in, you don't need to open folders.
Same in reverse - ride the route, press save and Connect feeds it through to Strava.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

rareposter wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 8:09pm
Milfred Cubicle wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:10pm I'm not a techno Luddite...it just seems like Garmin are way behind when it comes to intuitive interfaces.
Newer ones are much better. The older ones were terrible.

Pair it up with the smartphone app, get it all synced to Strava then use Strava for route planning (cos it's way better than Garmin Connect) and it'll just push the route direct to the unit in seconds. It doesn't need plugging in, you don't need to open folders.
Same in reverse - ride the route, press save and Connect feeds it through to Strava.
indeed , i have the explore as i dont need all the fancy stuff like power meters and training plans , life segments etc . Very easy to use and like you i prefer strava premium for route planning although people i ride with prefer garmin connect so i have taught myself to get around the foibles of connect rote planning software .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Add in a memory card, and the issue is doubled
For my Etrex I put the memory card directly into the PC, it has one folder, GPX (which you must have for my Etrex), and I drop my mapped routes in there.
You get more or less instant folder access and don't have to wait for the device to communicate with the PC

The end of the day is more painful because the ridden route only appears on the device and does take a bit longer, but overall I didn't feel that it's worth changing devices. YMMV, but give that a go

If you're after bluetooth, etc, then I'm sure that you'll get some options from users
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The Beeline Velo 2 might be worth a look.

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-cycling
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:10pm ...

I'm not a techno Luddite...it just seems like Garmin are way behind when it comes to intuitive interfaces.
I've never done that with my Garmin (and been using Garmin Edge cycle computers for 7+ years now.

How the route loading runs depends on the source of the route but eg from cycle.travel once route created it's "Send to GPS button, Select Garmin and it appears on my Garmin Edge computer.

I've never connected my Garmin Edge to my computer as a "device". When I go on multi-month camping cycle tours I don't even take my laptop yet each evening create a route for tomorrow and load it onto the Garmin (just one button press).

You could investigate other (easier) ways of loading routes which would give you a wider choice of devices (or an easier way to use you existing devices so no need to buy a new one?).

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Must admit I like the simplicity of the mass storage transfer - I know where to drop stuff for my etrexes to work.
Problem with dedicated device specific file transfer systems is that they can sometimes misbehave, or get broken by "improvement updates" or the march of tech/marketing. Simple file transfer is always going to work. I use a compact chromebook but you can also do the same thing with many tablets.
Sweep
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Being more of a techno Luddite navigator than I'd like. I do have a Sigma ROX 2 brand new surplus to requirements.

Could that be of any use to you? £45

https://sigmasport.com/product/rox-2-0/
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 1:50pm Must admit I like the simplicity of the mass storage transfer - I know where to drop stuff for my etrexes to work.
Problem with dedicated device specific file transfer systems is that they can sometimes misbehave, or get broken by "improvement updates" or the march of tech/marketing. Simple file transfer is always going to work. I use a compact chromebook but you can also do the same thing with many tablets.
Me too, and agreed.

But I'd always encourage someone else to try all of the options and see which they prefer.

Jonathan
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

I have ab Element Roam from Wahoo. Very happy with that.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 5:10pm Can anyone recommend a simple, inexpensive alternative to Garmin devices, mainly for use on Audax events?
routesheet holder.jpg
routesheet holder.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
:D

Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?t=21453