GPX devices...Garmin alternative

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
carlislemike

Re: GPX devices...Garmin alternative

Post by carlislemike »

Yup folded map in waterproof case has been my default but recently used the iPhone. Tempted by using it as default and I think I can use my saved Cycle Travel routes on it. Simple question, can I load CT routes onto Garmin or other devices?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

carlislemike wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 3:11pm ...
Simple question, can I load CT routes onto Garmin or other devices?
Yes. They need to be exported in the common GPX format. That's rarely a problem nowadays.

And you have to decide how you'd like the two devices to communicate, eg wired USB, Bluetooth, WiFi, email...

On what device will you be running cycle.travel to generate the routes?

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

carlislemike wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 3:11pm Yup folded map in waterproof case has been my default but recently used the iPhone. Tempted by using it as default and I think I can use my saved Cycle Travel routes on it. Simple question, can I load CT routes onto Garmin or other devices?
All the route planning apps / websites offer the option to export the route as .gpx or .tcx, both of which work perfectly with all the head units. I prefer .tcx, it gives more comprehensive turn-by-turn guidance on Garmin (it's part of Garmin's "Training Centre" software) although it's an opensource format.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Regarding the last two answers, I created my routes on a MacAir / AppleMac laptop. I can follow routes on CT as long as I’ve saved them but I’m not wholly convinced that I’m using the right processes. At nigh on 76, I’m a techno-Luddite
PH

Post by PH »

carlislemike wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 3:11pm Tempted by using it as default and I think I can use my saved Cycle Travel routes on it. Simple question, can I load CT routes onto Garmin or other devices?
With a Garmin Explore 2*, from PC** to phone to Explore, at home with wi-fi it couldn't be simpler. Have Garmin Connect on the phone, have that open and the Garmin turned on, check the phone recognises the Garmin, save the route in CT > GPX > Send to Garmin Connect and it's all done. It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to show, though you can hurry it along by pressing "sync" on the Connect app.

* Probably on other models as well, I'll stick to commenting on the ones I have.
** Probably with a Mac as well, but again I'll stick to what I know
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

carlislemike wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 7:01pm Regarding the last two answers, I created my routes on a MacAir / AppleMac laptop. I can follow routes on CT as long as I’ve saved them but I’m not wholly convinced that I’m using the right processes. At nigh on 76, I’m a techno-Luddite
That's OK, we can take this one step at a time.

The Mac laptop should work fine for this. You can practise exporting your routes from cycle.travel, that might be different from saving.

Which model of Garmin are you considering?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 7:12pm
carlislemike wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 3:11pm Tempted by using it as default and I think I can use my saved Cycle Travel routes on it. Simple question, can I load CT routes onto Garmin or other devices?
With a Garmin Explore 2*, from PC** to phone to Explore, at home with wi-fi it couldn't be simpler. Have Garmin Connect on the phone, have that open and the Garmin turned on, check the phone recognises the Garmin, save the route in CT > GPX > Send to Garmin Connect and it's all done. It sometimes takes a couple of minutes to show, though you can hurry it along by pressing "sync" on the Connect app.

* Probably on other models as well, I'll stick to commenting on the ones I have.
** Probably with a Mac as well, but again I'll stick to what I know
My most common workflow is from a Mac to a Garmin Edge 1000, so I can help with that side.

But I usually move route files by mounting the Garmin as a USB mass storage volume rather than using Garmin Connect. (I do use Garmin Connect for device and map updates.)

Jonathan
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Wow, great stuff even if we’ve hijacked the OP’s original post!
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

If you can read German or get some tech to translate it I recommend Matthias Schwindt on GPSRadler. He has reviewed Sigma and Wahoo as well as the usual Garmin and phone apps. If you find something that puzzles you ask and I'll translate it for you.

I have a Teasi but they are sadly no longer made.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
George goodyear

Post by George goodyear »

What about RidewithGPS on your smart phone.
Can also be used to give spoken cues, eg turn right in 150 metres.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

George goodyear wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 9:09pm What about RidewithGPS on your smart phone.
Can also be used to give spoken cues, eg turn right in 150 metres.
That's going off into the minefield of using a phone vs using a dedicated GPS as the nav device - there are pros and cons to both but as a general rule, the phone and GPS work together, linked by Bluetooth so the GPS uses the much more powerful processing power and connectivity of the phone to do route calculations initially and then the navigation can be left to the usually smaller, neater, much more robust and weatherproof GPS unit.

You can set them to give audible warnings for turns etc (I switch mine off because I find them very annoying) but it won't do spoken directions. Although personally I'd regard that as massive overkill - in the usually faster moving environment of a car where taking your eyes off the road to look at a screen is a bad idea, spoken satnav instructions are great but on a bike where it's a lot easier to look at the screen and where junctions, turns etc don't come at you as fast, it's not needed (IMO).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rareposter wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 8:13am ...
That's going off into the minefield of using a phone vs using a dedicated GPS as the nav device - there are pros and cons to both but as a general rule, the phone and GPS work together, linked by Bluetooth so the GPS uses the much more powerful processing power and connectivity of the phone to do route calculations initially and then the navigation can be left to the usually smaller, neater, much more robust and weatherproof GPS unit.
My Garmin does off-course route recalculations locally on the GOPS device, not on phone. When I'm out for a ride (either with or without directions) GPS device works alone. Also can do route creation locally on the GPS device without phone connection.

Ian
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies. Lots of food for thought.
1. I like the idea of a dedicated device...no dropping your phone in the middle of nowhere, or sapping the battery.
2. Cue sheets. I still love them...but looking forward to LEL '25 and multiple cue sheets, it's a faff stopping to change them or wipe the rain off.
3. I need enough battery life to see me through 8-12h riding. The Etrex was chosen for one simple reason...AA batteries. Dead handy, just carry a couple if spares.
In theory, the Etrex works. There are just lots of little niggles that get on my nerves. Like a trip counter that seems to start/stop when you sneeze, a speedo that's less accurate than a knotted rope, and the aforementioned file access. It's also really laggy...if you want to zoom the page, it sometimes takes ages to load a fresh view.
I'm going to try one of the suggestions on here...upload directly to the memory card from an Android card reader/dongle.
I think those of you who have mentioned Bluetooth have hit the nail on the head. We've just become so used to wireless file transfers, plugging a cable in feels like a faff, but in the great scheme of things it's hardly manual labour.
I really like the look of some if the never devices. Basically I'd like to be able to:

1. Find a nice gpx file online and save it to my phone.
2. Ping it from my phone to the device, without it asking me which of several device files it shoukd go into.
3. Ride my bike, and it gives me a little chirp and an arrow 100m before a turn.
4. 8-12h battery, ideally with the facility to charge it from a poweebank without any huge docking station.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 4:55pm Many thanks for the replies. Lots of food for thought.
I originally went with an Etrex for one simple reason London Edinburgh London 2013. I used the cue sheets, which are fine until it's dark and wet...must have lost a couple of hours through stopping to read the sheet or flip it. So I though, next big Audax, go for gps.
The Etrex was for one simple reason...AA batteries. Dead handy.
The new ones are WAY better than anything from that era. Also the eTrex is designed for hiking where the lag and slow response of the map page is less of an issue. Plus modern ones will easily do 30+hrs on a single battery charge and can be recharged easily from a powerbank on the move.

Regarding plugging it in - all units will need a connection to "home base" at some point, that's how they get map updates. It's done through Garmin Express (a separate, but related, portal to Garmin Connect).
Milfred Cubicle wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 4:55pm Basically I'd like to be able to:

2. Ping it from my phone to the device, without it asking me which of several device files it shoukd go into.
3. Ride my bike, and it gives me a little chirp and an arrow 100m before a turn.
4. 8-12h battery, ideally with the facility to charge it from a poweebank without any huge docking station.
So my phone and laptop are linked (same login via Google). I can log into Strava on my laptop, create a route with all the big screen / website detail and functionality and hit save.
Next time I turn my Garmin on, the route appears there. I don't need to load it or send it or connect it, it's just there because my Strava is paired to my Garmin Connect account (so all routes created on Strava automatically carry across to Connect) and my phone is paired to my Garmin so whenever the Garmin is turned on, it'll sync to the phone, download any new routes and be good to go. The process is seamless and takes about 15 seconds.

Finishing the ride, I hit save on the Garmin and within a minute, the ride appears on my Strava feed. I don't have to physically *do* anything other than that.

And as mentioned, my Garmin will easily do 24hrs on a charge, probably up to 36 if I run it in battery save mode.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 4:55pm ...
Basically I'd like to be able to:

How do the the non-Garmin devices suggested upthread stack up to that spec?

And would you now consider a new (or recent) Garmin that did?

Jonathan