Changing At Perth Station

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Paulc

Re: Changing At Perth Station

Post by Paulc »

I live in Perth and have taken touring bikes to the station to catch trains. Depending on the platforms you may end up using the ramp to a overhead walkway.

Pointing out the obvious to caveat my answer! - That is all fine if the train is on time. As with all these things it depends how critical that train is to your plans. Personally, if it is a critical transfer, I would want a back up (ie another train) because if the train is only 5 minutes late you will have a tight transfer. Alternatively book trains with a larger transfer time.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

Scotrail advice is that luggage should be removed from bikes during transport. The guard may or may not insist. It’s effectively essential for hanging up bikes or getting panniered bikes in and out of some styles of carriage ( ScotRail advises access on some trains is so narrow that wide handlebars might need to be turned).
Reloading luggage on the platform will take a few minutes. I think 13 minutes is tight. Too tight for me, unless I had a full price ticket and could go and try at the ticket office for another bike reservation if I missed my train.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Thanks once again for all above information. There are now only 4 of us travelling from Glasgow to Pitlochry with bikes. I've been on Scotrail App, Website, and called into Queen Street Customer Services. I finally phoned Scotrail helpline and they booked me on two trains one morning and one afternoon, 2 bikes per train, direct trains, no changing at Perth. Return a few days later is the same. I'm happy we all have direct tickets and will be there and back hopefully with no issues. Thanks for help.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

Great that you got sorted. Direct train is definitely the best way to start and end your tour -much more relaxing. The ScotRail staff in the telephone cycle booking dept have a much better overview of the best solutions than general ticket office staff ( or are more experienced/motivated in checking the possibilities).