Shap Fell

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
BirminghamNovice

Shap Fell

Postby BirminghamNovice » 5 Feb 2009, 12:28pm

So , our Jogle is taking us through Shap and im hearing a lot about a very "nice" big hill...

is it as big as people mention? Has anyone got any photos? Im more intrigued than anything so thought id ask the people that will have made their way over it....
Where there is a WILLiam there is a way

keepontriking

Re: Shap Fell

Postby keepontriking » 5 Feb 2009, 12:49pm

BirminghamNovice wrote:So , our Jogle is taking us through Shap and im hearing a lot about a very "nice" big hill...

is it as big as people mention? Has anyone got any photos? Im more intrigued than anything so thought id ask the people that will have made their way over it....

A couple if pictures here.
Not too difficult - good surface - just a bit of a grind.

http://www.jpbdesign.net/day9.html

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 5 Feb 2009, 1:44pm

Here's Shap, about 370m climb in 15km going S-N, but much less if you are jogle-ing

Contrast that with Berriedale as discussed on the gradients topic where the climb is about 130m in 1.5km either direction.

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 5 Feb 2009, 2:32pm

Berriedale does look like a whopper... still at least it's short and sharp!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Feb 2009, 2:57pm

BirminghamNovice wrote: Has anyone got any photos?

1400ft, not too steep, perhaps 1 in 8.
A false summit on the way north, then the road drops down steeply, over a bridge, then climbs steadily to the top. A great hill! Loooonnnnng way down the other side to Shap Village (shops!)

Honestly, if I lived in Kendal, I'd be off over the top to Penrith and back as often as I could.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Feb 2009, 4:31pm

I think a lot of the historic notoriety of Shap Fell was that (as it implies on that memorial) pre-M6 it was the main route England to Scotland on the Western side of the country. It regularly used to be one of the first trunk roads to be closed in bad weather.

Donkey's years ago, probably during the 1963 big freeze up, Alan Coren did a piece in Punch which was a series of spoof news flashes about the weather. One was 'A helicopter has been used to drop hay to a party of nuns, stranded on Shap...'

It's an exposed place in winter, but for cyclists in Summer it's just a slog.

ransos

Postby ransos » 6 Feb 2009, 2:40pm

I found it much easier than anticipated - I guess because we'd already been riding for a few days by then, so were pretty fit. It's high, but not particularly steep, so you can grind away quite easily.

As per the other posters, I found Helmsdale to Berriedale much harder, as was the climb over Dartmoor.

Dean

Postby Dean » 7 Feb 2009, 8:01pm

Pictures of Shap? I'll see what I can do.

Dean

Postby Dean » 7 Feb 2009, 8:13pm

You get the idea.

Tommo

Postby Tommo » 15 Feb 2009, 5:38pm

One thing worth noting about Shap is that the weather at the top can be very different to the weather at the bottom.

I came out of Kendall a couple of years back and it was a bit wet and manky. Halfway up Shap and visibility was down to about 30 yards. By the top it was about 2 yards. Couldn't stop cycling because it was cold, wet and the middle of nowhere. Had to keep going despite the fact a car or truck may not have seen me until too late. This was in mid-June as well.

Definitely take high-vis stuff just in case.

Geoff Dale

Postby Geoff Dale » 23 Feb 2009, 7:26pm

I left Kendall and 15 miles later I was in Shap, the climb being about 10 miles, just plod on, you will be pleased at the top.Its a state of mind. If you are travelling south or north, the next couple of days are then quite easy.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 26 Feb 2009, 8:45am

The services at Tebay (just off the motorway so cycle accessible) have some wonderful pictures of traffic jams over Shap in deep snow.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

ian.geddes

Postby ian.geddes » 4 Mar 2009, 9:08pm

My friend (caused me some distress) of at the bottom of the hill so i wasnt holding back once we got going, when i got to the top i was seeing stars!! Just dont go to fast and you will be fine.
ride, reck, repair, repeat

Michael S

Postby Michael S » 24 Apr 2009, 11:24pm

I rode Shap Fell on Good Friday. A long steady climb on a very pleasant day. It was part of my 12 day LEJOG. 12 days and only three rain showers (none longer than 5 minutes. A great trip

WillRowe

Postby WillRowe » 7 May 2009, 10:38am

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49120&id=711691839&l=79914e4e6a

This is one of my photo albums on facebook which shows the cycle from Tarbet down Just north of Kendal.

The last photo on page 2 and then all of page 3 is the run up to Shap and then down to Kendal...

FYI - it isn't as bad as you might hear, Berriedale was hideous, and by the time you reach Shap you'll be so much fitter!!!

Good luck!
------------------------------------------
"The upside to every hill is that there is a downside..."

You can read my blogs at: http://heavenandhellin13days-afatboysjogle.blogspot.com and http://travelswiththemanlysteed.blogspot.com