womens clothes

lynn

womens clothes

Postby lynn » 26 Apr 2009, 10:48am

I am looking for cycle clothing that is good on and off the bike, and suitable for tall women. Any ideas, rapha for girls? :?

Swizz69

Re: womens clothes

Postby Swizz69 » 28 Apr 2009, 5:42pm

Hi Lynn,

My other half has the opposite problem being 5'3"!

I'd suggest that a lot depends on the riding position your bike offers & the type of cycling you are doing, along with your physique - being tall are you long in the legs/upper body/both?

For example, if you find conventional cycling jackets a bit on the short side, you might consider a long-cut hiking jacket - like a Berghaus type, although many cheaper brands are available. These are usually lightweight & breathable, although won't have the ventilation provided by a dedicated cycle jacket. Not a problem of course if you aren't exerting yourself too much.

For the bottom half again is dependant on what type of cycling you are doing. For riding local I just wear my normal clothing - jeans as a rule with a trouser clip, and have no problems at all.

Ian...

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 28 Apr 2009, 6:28pm

I would have expected you to get more responses than that!
I'm afraid I cant really comment on the height issue, but these people http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/index.html have a good reputation for quality and service. Might be a starting point for you.

When it comes to "improvising" I wouldnt recommend jeans. A big rolled seam to sit on and cotton fabric that stays wet and cold for ever...
Some of the purpose made hiking trousers would be better - windproof, quick drying and infinitely closer to smart casual. Rohan striders would be something to look at.
For top intermediate layers anything made of Merino wool would seem to be the way to go. Its being used for purpose made sports wear because of its warmth, comfort next to the skin etc. and also because it doesnt stink of unwashed armpits after about 20 minutes, unlike most of the synthetic technical fabrics. By extension it would seem that any garment made of the stuff that catches you eye in the high street could be useable.
HTH :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 28 Apr 2009, 11:12pm

I bought my girlfriend 2 Corinne Dennis tops & she absolutely loves them. Plenty long at the back though she is only 5ft 5. They do have a nice feel & look to them.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 28 Apr 2009, 11:23pm

I too would suggest Corinne Dennis if it is stuff to wear both on and off the bike.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

AMC

Postby AMC » 28 Apr 2009, 11:25pm

For on & off the bike days Prana do good trousers, no bulky seams, very quick to dry & indestructible. Nice cut (fashionably low cut waists so can be a bit cold in the winter but great for summer) & plenty of pockets. They're always too long in the leg for me so should be ok for you I'd have thought. Otherwise I go for lightweight cotton or not-too-synthetic fabrics with lycra for stretch, from all sorts of High street shops (or actually charity shops in my case, but I'm on a student budget so have an excuse!)

GrahamG

Postby GrahamG » 29 Apr 2009, 11:56am

OK, my other half has searched a good deal to find something reasonably stylish and has a few sites bookmarked and a few garment recommendations:

http://www.minx-girl.com
http://www.teamestrogen.com/
http://www.swrve.co.uk/ (some women's stuff and generally good mix of cycling comfort and off-the-bike style)

She's 5'3" so doesn't have the height problem but she is big hips & small waist so struggled the most with her bottom half - we've just taken delivery of a pair of Portland cyclewear 'messenger knicks' and the women's version are cut perfectly. The fabric is very stretchy and breathable as well as feeling nice and soft, so after trying various Endura/Altura 3/4 lengths she's very much sold on these (the one exception being the integrated liner but you can always cut that out). Added bonus for you is that they are quite long in the leg but think generous US sizing (they love flattering their customers) and get a size down.

They appear to be re-jigging the website at the minute...

http://www.portlandcyclewear.com

Oh, and just a quick mention for an online shop (split into women's and men's) we've both had a few things from and that stock a really good range of stuff with possibly the best information (sizing info includes anecdotal views from staff!) and fantastic service...

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

Graham

Big T

Postby Big T » 29 Apr 2009, 12:25pm

Evans do something that looks like a Mac on the ouitside (the sort of thing Carol Kirkwood wears when presenting the weather outdoors) with buttons and a belt, but inside it's like a waterproof cycling jacket.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 1 May 2009, 8:27am

Why is it the American sites have lovely stuff, and I could happily spend a day choosing my gear from Terry and the like.

I found loads of items from that estrogen site you put on. But when I scannned the shipping costs and the import duty I thought better of it.

Pity we girlies cant get some of this stuff in teh UK. I love CD as well, and do buy a lot from her, but I really would love to buy more feminine looking cycling gear. Minx has had my custom from time to time as well, (currently waiting a nice floral top from her too), but the majority of cycle clothing for women is basically a mans style with a female cut to it. I shall add this, that the quality from both CD adn Minx is wonderful, and CD has the edge on price in my book too.

The Americans seem to have it right, albit unobtainable in sensible money.

Mary

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 1 May 2009, 8:47am

We will just have to wait until the pound - dollar exchange rate is more favourable, Mary.

I also use Ground Effect; http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/index.htm Some of their tops can be used as ordinary fleeces.
First time I bought from them they did not add on import tax, whether you then paid it or not depended on whether the post office could be bothered to decide if the parcel required it, they didn't.
So it worth checking to see if the US sites have import tax added to their clothes.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 1 May 2009, 2:47pm

I got a Montane jacket, and it fits me nicely- but I had to get a Men's Medium. I couldn't get my shoulders into the ladies' sizes, even the XL, and I'm a tiny fraction over 5' tall and just over 9 stone. I have a similar problem with walking gear. i did manage to get a Ladies' waterproof- a Lowe Alpine. To get my shoulders in that, I had to get an XL. :roll: And no, I'm not quite built like an orang-utan. (though with the arm length on the jackets I do look a little like one- still, I don't need gloves when walking if it's wet, I just roll the sleeves down, let's look on the bright side).

Sizing in Ladies' sporty garments is very odd...........I wonder what larger ladies do? It is depressing to be too big for an XL when you're as small as I am......

Si

Postby Si » 1 May 2009, 3:25pm

plenty of generalised comments on bike clothes that can be worn on and of the bike (although not all women specific) in the thread linked to below. This thread is in "Too Good to Lose" so I'm trying to add all similar links to it so that it acts as a repository of advice: I've stuck a link to this thread in it so don't end up going around in circles :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18619

gnvqsos

Postby gnvqsos » 15 Jul 2018, 3:53pm

I know that as a man who prioritises sartorial elegance,but also likes to spend as little as possible on clothing,I would suggest women and men both avoid tight clothing,except round the ankle area where I frequently snag my flared trousers.I would say it is hard to beat wool.Marino wool is lovely next to skin,and woollen trousers and breeches remain warm even when wet.It is hard to wash wool trousers,especially in a machine.I wash all clothing by hand and use a spin dryer to remove surplus water and then dry on the line.I have found charity shops excellent but know many cyclists turn up their noses at any suggestion of using secondhand clothing.There is an outlet called **CAT*LON who sell affordable attire,and LIdl/Aldi/Waitrose all have cycling weeks when discountoing is the norm.

Mud-Plugger

Postby Mud-Plugger » 26 Jul 2018, 4:32pm

Decathlon have a huge range of low-priced useful sports clothes which are good on a bike. Golfing shorts, hiking/walking lightweight jackets, and tennis/polo/sailing tops.

They also do some nice MTB/BMX/Skateboard shoes which are great if you don't need clips for casual riding.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 29 Jul 2018, 9:59am

gnvqsos wrote:I know that as a man who prioritises sartorial elegance,but also likes to spend as little as possible on clothing,I would suggest women and men both avoid tight clothing,except round the ankle area where I frequently snag my flared trousers.I would say it is hard to beat wool.Marino wool is lovely next to skin,and woollen trousers and breeches remain warm even when wet.It is hard to wash wool trousers,especially in a machine.I wash all clothing by hand and use a spin dryer to remove surplus water and then dry on the line.I have found charity shops excellent but know many cyclists turn up their noses at any suggestion of using secondhand clothing.There is an outlet called **CAT*LON who sell affordable attire,and LIdl/Aldi/Waitrose all have cycling weeks when discountoing is the norm.

I have a coupe of long-sleeved marino tops from NZ (Ground Effect), a Popsicle and a Baked Alaska. They're excellent, light and warm in the winter, breathable in all weathers, and the thinner one can be worn in most weathers except 'hotterthanwenormallygetoverhere'. Even the thicker one is incredibly warm for its (light) weight. Both can be washed normally in the machine, and mine still look like new after a few years' wear (though I don't commute on the bike so they don't get hard wear). GE were very helpful with sizing, I gave them my measurements and they told me what size I'd need - in my case, a mens' is a better fit.