Topeak JoeBlow Sport Track Pump

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
gaz

Topeak JoeBlow Sport Track Pump

Post by gaz »

I've just got one of these from CTC Shop (Wiggle).

I needed to replace my twenty year old Zefal Double Shot track pump. The valve locking mechanism on the Zefal had worn out some months ago and I had already replaced the hose with a Topeak Twinhead. Unfortunately time took further toll and the pressure gauge failed.

Having been extremely happy with the Twinhead I wanted a new pump with the same valve connector. This would also mean that the existing one could be salvaged as a spare.

The JoeBlow Sport looks to be strongly constructed and feels sturdy in use. The Twinhead connector is simple to use and gives a good airtight seal. On the outside of the pressure gauge there's a dial ring with an arrow which you can line up with your target pressure making it easier to see when you've got there.

Compared to the Zefal the barrel size is much smaller and it pumps less air per stroke. Whilst it takes more strokes to pump to pressure each stroke seems to take less effort. The Twinhead is a little tricky to fit between the spokes on the 16" wheels of my son's bike, but not much more difficult than the Zefal. There are no such problems on larger wheel sizes.

The JoeBlow Sport is designed to be floor standing for storage whereas my Zefal could be conveniently hung from the rafters.

The JoeBlow Sport seems excellent, I'm happy to recommend it to anyone looking for a track pump.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mw3230

Re: Topeak JoeBlow Sport Track Pump

Post by mw3230 »

I have a JoeBlow also - equally happy with it
Retired and loving it
northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey »

Another fan. A great bit of kit that'll probably outlast me.
fossil

Post by fossil »

i agree
tried out my mates , was so impressed i bought my own :D :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote: ... The JoeBlow Sport is designed to be floor standing for storage whereas my Zefal could be conveniently hung from the rafters. ...

I've found storing a track pump a faff over the years. SKS do some clips but I've never managed to buy any, so mine hangs on a hook - not a neat solution. I have a Topeak Twister - no longer made - and that fits perfectly on one of the two-finger brackets sold for hanging up garden spades etc. (They sometimes come in a set with the hooks you can screw into the ceiling.)

I think Topeak quality is generally very good.
hugo67

Post by hugo67 »

I have a BB version (Chinese) of a Track pump, it cost £12 and is still going strong I got it from a York cycle shop.

When I see "Joe Blow" I always seem to get the feeling that there's a word missing :lol: :twisted: misguided fool that I am.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Joe Blow (MK2 no less) arrived today,safe to say the lad has promise :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Joe has been in my bike shed for over ten years and still works well. This morning going around the car tyres I cross checked the psi readings with a tyre gauge. It’s been a few years since I’ve done this. Cross checked psi not the car tyres :D
Looks as if I’ve been riding tyres 7psi lower than I thought they were. Which gauge is getting tired though?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

"Calibrating a Tire Pressure Gauge":
https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-ma ... ure-gauge/

Materials Needed:
Lots of water
25 meters long hose pipe
A 25 meters or higher building
A marker pen
Someone to help
A tire pressure gauge
25m tape measure

: - )

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Damn, if only I hadn’t given my marker pen away :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hose pipe ban :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

When working on cooling water systems at the power station it sometimes called for stop logs to be inserted to ensure a seal and prevent the Severn estuary draining into the pump pit. The tidal range in the Severn estuary is 40 odd feet and the pumps were sunk in a pit to a depth of approx 50 feet to ensure they always had a working head of water. To check the stop logs had sealed up the intake involved descending a vertical ladder to the bottom of the pit to check the pump vent had dried up. Some bright spark eventually came up with the idea of fitting a clear plastic hose to the vent so you could check the water head without descending and climbing back up several hundred steps.
It was referred to as the world's biggest manometer. :lol:

If I hadn't retired I could have calibrated my pump too.

15psi is approx 34 ft head of water. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I was in the market for a new track pump but the Joe Blow Sport is now £45 for a new one, so went for a Halfords own brand with metal cylinder, half the price at £22. Works well but we’ll see if it has the longevity of the Joe Blow.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

+1 for the Joe Blow. Spare parts such as seals are available, though I've never needed any.
PH

Post by PH »

Can't remember long I've had a Joe Blow, or how much it cost, whatever it was has proved worth it, still faultless. I think I went through two cheaper track pumps in the few years before it.
I chose the Sprint rather than the Sport, advantages (For me) are the gauge is at the top of the barrel so easier to read and the hose is longer so it reaches all my bikes while they're still hung on the stand.