Getting squirted

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mw3230

Getting squirted

Postby mw3230 » 17 Oct 2009, 6:20pm

Yesterday whilst riding along a fairly rural B road in good and dry conditions I was sprayed by the windscreen washing jets of passing cars - on two separate ocaasions within the same general area.

I'm not a naturally suspicious person and at first thought I had been a bit unlucky. However when I thought more I began to ponder on the chances of two cars with poorly adjusted washers choosing to wash their screens at the time they were passing a cyclist. This led me to think that I may have been squirted deliberately.

Am I a victim or am I putting two and two together and making five?
Retired and loving it

rbrian

Re: Getting squirted

Postby rbrian » 17 Oct 2009, 6:53pm

You're putting two and two together and making seventeen. Finding two cars which have full washer tanks, two drivers who know they have washers, and two drivers who are aware their screens are dirty and could do with cleaning is rare enough. To credit them with the intelligence to know that they spray anywhere other than the windscreen, to deliberately aim at a cyclist, and actually to hit the cyclist, is beyond belief.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.

minkie

Postby minkie » 17 Oct 2009, 7:03pm

I suppose there might be a local craze for resetting wipers to spray cyclists as you overtake them - there's been dafter fads before now. But I think it's more likely that these a just 2 unrelated random events.

irc

Postby irc » 17 Oct 2009, 7:36pm

You're a victim. THe number of drivers who use their screen washers on a dry day is tiny. The chances of two drivers seperately doing this by chance as they passed you, in the same area, and both having the washers directed out to the side is even smaller.

My vote is for a local spray cyclists/peds fad. Better than a bottle being thrown I suppose.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

northernmonkey

Postby northernmonkey » 17 Oct 2009, 7:57pm

irc,

I would imagine the drivers have spotted a cyclist and suddenly become more aware of road hazards and realised their windscreens were less than spotless. Seriously.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 17 Oct 2009, 8:06pm

I have been told of setting your washers so that you can squirt the car behind if it's to close.
I have been squirted on my motorbike a couple of times. Deliberately or not :?:
You'll never know if you don't try it.

mill4six

Postby mill4six » 17 Oct 2009, 8:09pm

Given the victim mentality of some, anyone on 2 wheels is a victim, but personally? Nah they were just clearing dead flies.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Oct 2009, 8:41pm

I'd say theres a good chance it was deliberate,I've had it done to me on occasion sometime if I've deliberately blocked an overtaking manouvre (via primary position)for my own safety,or just just for the driverer's own entertainment :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

jan19

Postby jan19 » 17 Oct 2009, 10:49pm

Yes, I've had it too. Only the once, but last summer I had a car and VWM clearing their screens and drenching me at the same time on the same journey home. It hasn't happened since, but on that occasion I thought it was deliberate.

Jan

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 18 Oct 2009, 10:51am

If the wiper jets are set to hit the top(ish) of the screen at 70mph then they will logically overshoot at lower speeds. I very much doubt that the average person thinks of this and just uses their washers as and when they choose without thought to over spray. After all, the same happens if you are following in a car.

Sounds like paranoia to me :D

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 18 Oct 2009, 12:00pm

It's hard to imagine anybody going to the trouble of adjusting their windscreen washers to achieve this, but I've seen enough drivers and passengers splitting their sides laughing when this has happened to know it's not completely accidental. It's just another bit of equipment like the horn and main beam that can be abused by drivers with poor standards.

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 18 Oct 2009, 1:29pm

I agree, you were just unlucky.

this is the time of year when the sun is sitting lower in the sky, the sun shining on the car windscreens will make mucky windscreens for difficult to see though.

Yesterday while I was out and about, the number of car drivers coming towards me, that were shielding their eyes from the sun was very frequent. All of them were washing windows as well! but I really doubt it was because of my presence.

Mary

Neil Mc Ivor

Postby Neil Mc Ivor » 18 Oct 2009, 5:01pm

minkie wrote:I suppose there might be a local craze for resetting wipers to spray cyclists as you overtake them - there's been dafter fads before now. But I think it's more likely that these a just 2 unrelated random events.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Oct 2009, 6:09pm

Situation a)If say you're on a tight blind lefthand bend (where you've had idiots overtake in the past when they couldn't see round either you or the bend)and you move out to the centre of the lane to block the loonie driver(it should be said that thinking drivers realise whats going on hear and wait patiently for all but the 10seconds it takes to clear the bend),you clear the bend then wave the car past and just as he(nearly always a he)gets you in the "squirting line" decides its time to wash the screen.
Situation b)You and your friend are riding two abreast down a straight stretch of B road (with plenty of room for cars to pass on the other side of the road and no oncoming traffic) when a car passes just a leettle close then at the same time decides to wash his w/screen.
On both occasions its cloudy

A and B are real life events that have happened to me and others I know.

There have been times when its been a motorist not thinking of others but it does make one think that some people have a very strange sense of humour.

PS have you ever seen a vehicle drive directly through a puddle in the gutter to purposely soak someone on the footpath?or perhaps as they're pedestrians they're fair game :| .
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 18 Oct 2009, 8:34pm

I think a woman just got 'done' for that very thing recently- schoolchildren, I think it was............