Breakdown Cover

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The Saint

Breakdown Cover

Post by The Saint »

I read somewhere about roadside breakdown cover for cyclists - similar to a vehicle breakdown insurance such as the AA. One of the LEJOG journals I have been avidly reading referred to it being available. If roadside repair is not possible I understand they take you and bike to the LBS. I'm planning to do LEJOG next year and as I'm fairly mechanically inept I thought it would probably be a good idea. Does anyone know if such a scheme is available and if so point me in the right direction where to get it.
Happy Xmas everyone.
thirdcrank

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by thirdcrank »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28005&p=219989&hilit

That's one thread where it was discussed - I think there have been others.
cthorbinson

Post by cthorbinson »

I think that half of the fun of cycling if anything goes wrong with a few simple tools you can fix mostly anything!
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Who would pay to insure against that? Worst case scenario you can just call a local taxi, take off the wheels and bung it in the boot.
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

I've had breakdown cover from the ETA for the last few years,never used it though.I took it out mainly to cover our tandem,the thought of having to lug a damaged tandem about the countryside doesn't bear thinking about IMHO.Some may disagree.

We had a coming together with a car recently and the tandem was "just" about rideable but if it hadn't been then the breakdown cover would have been most welcome.

Like all insurance it is expensive until you come to use it

Also covers for theft and vandalism of course.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

That's a good point about what would happen to your bike if you were injured and you had to be taken away in an ambulance. does anyone know?
Also on this subject what about cover for touring abroad: you can't ring the missus to come and get you from the south of France. AA & RAC used to give you cover abroad for an additional fee using local services for rescue.
The Saint

Post by The Saint »

Thanks for your comments guys. Having given it some thought I've come to view that a call to the local taxi company - if an emergency was to arise - would probably be the most cost effective option. A tandem would make it a lot more difficult of course
Riverside

Post by Riverside »

I have had CTC/ETA cover for a few years and haven't actually used it fortunately. It seems fairly comprehensive and is not enormously expensive. Generally you can fix most roadside breakdowns but maybe as I have got older and more anxious about life in general it seems worth the cost.

I wouldn't run my car without breakdown cover.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I have ETA for both our cars and my recumbent trikes. You get a discount for extra vehicles.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
philruffley

Post by philruffley »

I have a eletric peddle bike will the breakdown cover be ok for that type of bike. It works as both normal and eletric but being disabled I need the eletric side of it. I love being on a bike and have done most of my life and this bike makes it possible.
millimole

Post by millimole »

jawaka wrote:That's a good point about what would happen to your bike if you were injured and you had to be taken away in an ambulance. does anyone know?
<snip>.

That has always been one of my great concerns - and still is, despite my recent experience: When I had to be taken to work* by ambulance last October, the little old lady who I crashed avoiding took my bike home with her and left her address with the ambulance team (She lived quite some considerable distance away, and I'm pretty sure she didn't ride it home :lol: ). I then got a neighour with a van to collect it.
* I work at the local hospital - I told them I was auditing the relative speeds of travelling by bicycle or ambulance - bike turned out to be quicker!
foxy12

Post by foxy12 »

Scotrail do a Cycle Rescue so long as you have a valid rail ticket on the Scottish mainland.

If you are unable to complete the cycle part of a tour, daytrip, etc as a result of an accident or breakdown to your cycle, ScotRail Cycle Rescue will take you to your destination or to the nearest ScotRail station. The tel no is 08000 717 212.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

jawaka wrote:That's a good point about what would happen to your bike if you were injured and you had to be taken away in an ambulance. does anyone know?

When I had my spill in a village (and the attending Paramedic waited with me till my wife turned up to collect me in the car), a nice lady witness volunteered to take my bike into safekeeping at her house. Faith in human nature - sky high! I collected it a couple of days later.

Breakdown assistance; I'm with the ETA package, but touching wood never yet used.
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

byegad wrote: 3 Jan 2010, 9:52am I have ETA for both our cars and my recumbent trikes. You get a discount for extra vehicles.
I am with ETA for my bicycles, was under the assumption that they take it to a train station or a local bike shop which I doubt would be of use for a trike.

Would they bring a trike back to my home if I had a puncture etc?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

jrs665 wrote: 7 Jun 2023, 8:26pm I am with ETA for my bicycles,
Would they bring a trike back to my home if I had a puncture etc?
You're with the organisation. You could ask them?