Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattraisin
Posts: 73
Joined: 23 Feb 2010, 6:15am

Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby mattraisin » 21 Mar 2010, 3:55pm

I was just wondering whether the detail on a Tour Map is good enough for planning and for use when out cycling. If not what maps do you suggest as I don't want to carry to many but don't want to get lost either. I need detailed enough contours and roads for routing through towns, campsites/YH would also help.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.

irc
Posts: 4536
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 2:22pm
Location: glasgow

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby irc » 21 Mar 2010, 4:47pm

mattraisin wrote:I was just wondering whether the detail on a Tour Map is good enough for planning and for use when out cycling. If not what maps do you suggest as I don't want to carry to many but don't want to get lost either. I need detailed enough contours and roads for routing through towns, campsites/YH would also help.


1:250000 maps are OK outside large towns. They can be supplemented with either google map printouts, or OS 1:25000 photocopies. Another source of OS 1:25000 or 1:50000 printouts is Grough Route (£1.50 a month subscription).
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2105
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby TrevA » 21 Mar 2010, 6:49pm

We used 1:250,000 maps on our JOGLE and they're Ok 99% of the time. We got lost a few times in towns, but managed to find the way again by heading south using either a compass or the sun. It's not practical to carry 1:50,000 maps for the whole route.

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2885
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby robgul » 21 Mar 2010, 7:49pm

My suggestion would be to invest in Memory Map or Track Logs for the PC (just buy the mapping areas you need) - plot the routes and print your own maps in A4 (or better as they fit bar bag mapcases, A5)

The paper 1-50000 OS maps are about £8 a throw - the PC cost is probably not far from being similar to the cost of all the maps you would need ... an investment ... and will also give you the opportunity for no extra cost to transfer routes to a GPS if you wanted to use one

Rob

OR, and a I would say this wouldn't I, have a look at the e2e resource site in my sig below - and in particular Journal 176 where you can get a ready made route for a charity contribution!

drpeterharris
Posts: 49
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 9:48pm

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby drpeterharris » 21 Mar 2010, 11:57pm

I second Rob's advice. The new Memory Map European Edition allows you to download user defined areas from their digital map shop which you pay for at a rate per sq km. Its very reasonable and its possible to download a narrow ribbon of OS 1:50000 maps tiles all the way from end to end.

Peter

Archie2K
Posts: 31
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 7:53pm

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby Archie2K » 23 Mar 2010, 10:06am

I used the OS Tour maps, most of which are 1:100,000, though Scotland was 1:500,000. The detail was always easily enough, BUT they don't cover all the country so ensure that you also take another source of maps - Google maps printouts, or a fold up road atlas - for these bits.

I used 1, 5, 23, 4, 6 and 12, though my route took me straight through the Pennines.

John-D
Posts: 241
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 9:31am
Location: Haworth, West Yorkshire

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby John-D » 23 Mar 2010, 10:27am

robgul wrote:My suggestion would be to invest in Memory Map or Track Logs for the PC (just buy the mapping areas you need) - plot the routes and print your own maps in A4 (or better as they fit bar bag mapcases, A5)

The paper 1-50000 OS maps are about £8 a throw - the PC cost is probably not far from being similar to the cost of all the maps you would need ... an investment ... and will also give you the opportunity for no extra cost to transfer routes to a GPS if you wanted to use one

Rob

OR, and a I would say this wouldn't I, have a look at the e2e resource site in my sig below - and in particular Journal 176 where you can get a ready made route for a charity contribution!



I did the same but with Anquet OS 1:50000 maps. You can print them at different scales depending on the detail you need (eg if you're following the A82 for miles you can print to a much smaller scale).

John

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2885
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: Best OS maps to use for JOGLE/LEJOG?

Postby robgul » 23 Mar 2010, 12:04pm

John-D wrote:
robgul wrote:My suggestion would be to invest in Memory Map or Track Logs for the PC (just buy the mapping areas you need) - plot the routes and print your own maps in A4 (or better as they fit bar bag mapcases, A5)

The paper 1-50000 OS maps are about £8 a throw - the PC cost is probably not far from being similar to the cost of all the maps you would need ... an investment ... and will also give you the opportunity for no extra cost to transfer routes to a GPS if you wanted to use one

Rob

OR, and a I would say this wouldn't I, have a look at the e2e resource site in my sig below - and in particular Journal 176 where you can get a ready made route for a charity contribution!



I did the same but with Anquet OS 1:50000 maps. You can print them at different scales depending on the detail you need (eg if you're following the A82 for miles you can print to a much smaller scale).

John


I wasn't going to complicate the answer! - yes the variable scale thing for printing works a treat - we have usable scale for about 90% of the ride ... but bigger where we cross cities (Bristol, Preston, Glasgow etc) or some of the trickier bits. The map we are using this year has been "printed" as a pdf so we also have a file as reference copy rather just printed straight off the mapping software.

Rob