Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Cowsham »

CarnivoreAI wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 9:03am Hi there! I'm Alice from Yorkshire.
I have a Cannondale gravel bike and a Specialized mountain bike.
I'm 28 and wondering where the rest of my generation has gone :| I can't seem to find them anywhere....

I feel a little sorry for the younger generations cos it seems every cyclist I meet on the road is an old git like me.
I am here. Where are you?
OpheliaRaven

Post by OpheliaRaven »

Hello, I'm Ophelia.

Have always loved cycling. I'm actually disabled and looking for support in cycling as a disabled person. Have posted about that in the health section.

Bought my first electric bike at the beginning of the year after trying one the year before. Made the mistake of buying too quickly and ended up taking it back after 3 months (long story)!

Currently living in London but moving to the Midlands in the Spring.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

OpheliaRaven wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 12:05pm Hello, I'm Ophelia.

Have always loved cycling. I'm actually disabled and looking for support in cycling as a disabled person. Have posted about that in the health section.

Bought my first electric bike at the beginning of the year after trying one the year before. Made the mistake of buying too quickly and ended up taking it back after 3 months (long story)!

Can I hear the long version?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

haha - yes we do like a good story! Welcome, Ophelia :)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
OpheliaRaven

Post by OpheliaRaven »

I spent a total of about one hour looking for an electric bike. I wanted something that was more power assist than anything too zippy. I ended up going to a small shop that seemingly had many good reviews. The young salesman didn't seem to know much about cycle safety but was enthusiastic. I bought the bike with minimal sales pitch (I don't like hard sell stuff!)

I rode it about 3 times, taking great care of it because it wasn't inexpensive. I then was away for a month or so and when I came home, I took the bike our to ride and the throttle wasn't working. I had a look at the manual which, it turns out, was a few sheets printed from the internet. I followed the troubleshoot info and could not rectify the problem. I called the shop and they said to bring it in. When I got to the shop, they told me to leave it and they would look at it. I then got a phone call a couple of hours later telling me they had fixed the issue and it would cost me £50. I went in the next day to tell them there was no way I was paying. The sales assistant called the manager who told me I was an idiot who had clearly dropped the bike and that if I didn’t pay, they would call the police. I told him to call the police and left the shop. He then called me to tell me to come and collect the bike and not pay the charge but not come back if there was another issue. I told him I no longer wanted the bike and wanted a refund. He said no.

I reached out to some electric bike experts and they all pretty much told me the same thing, it was a common problem with cheap bikes. I then contacted the shop again, outlined my consumer rights and gave him 7 days to refund the money before I take legal action. They agreed to a refund but not before calling me all sorts of names!

I then went digging a little further and at least one other person had a similar issue to me.

Cowsham wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 1:50pm
OpheliaRaven wrote: 28 Dec 2022, 12:05pm Hello, I'm Ophelia.

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Can you / would you name and shame Sam?
GedBen

Post by GedBen »

I suppose I should do an introduction, seeing as I've posted a few things recently. I'm mostly Ian H elsewhere. Long-term CTC member - even been on committees with Mr Benstead - dislike the current, risible name, but there you go. Long-distance cyclist, AUK member & organiser. Getting on a bit.
Christoff Lambypie

new here

Post by Christoff Lambypie »

Hey,

Chris 39, Leeds.

I'm getting into cycling after getting a bike for work and realised I actually enjoyed it.

Nice too meet all.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Sorry, new to the site and posted my intro here: viewtopic.php?t=155503

Jesper
Take care,
Jesper
happychappy90

Hi everyone, new member here!

Post by happychappy90 »

Juts wanted to say hello to everyone as ive just joined the forum! Apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong place, i coudnt see a welcome section for new users to say Hello!

Im Tom, from Wales. Been a cycling addict since a young age and have competed at an amateur level (Track Cycling) and (Road Racing)
Ive just started to enjoy Mountain Biking a hell of a lot and signed up to get advice/talk about and learn more about the MB world!

looking forward to chatting to some of you!
Adelani

New member in Brampton Huntingdon seeking training/racing partners

Post by Adelani »

Hello everyone I’m Adelani and very new to this forum. I am cyclist and cycling for more than 3 years now I have currently started crit racing & road racing hoping to go pro one day 🤞. I live in Brampton Huntingdon. I don’t drive so I am looking for like minded people who live close by who I can train/improve with and we can go to different races together either with their car which we can share cost or taxi which we can share as well. I am also a member of st Neots cc. Please if anyone sees this and live around it would be great to get in touch by mail jay080357@gmail.com
1lorr

INTRODUCTION

Post by 1lorr »

I'm hoping this will serve as an introduction as I cannot post I'm just a leisure cyclist in UK.
TBaySimon

Post by TBaySimon »

Hiya

My real name: Simon

Favourite colour: Sky blue pink!

Bikes/Cycling: I have two bikes currently a Genesis Equilibrium 853 and an unbranded mountain bike which is also 853

Status: Married, kids doing well and we moved to Anglesey a few years ago, living in Trearddur Bay... love it, the best move I've ever made!

Interesting fact: Probably not interesting but I swim every day and have done for the last 2 years. It is a great cure for hangovers and sore legs after a long ride!
liv_on_the_bike

Post by liv_on_the_bike »

Age 12

Bikes: N+1! Road, Track, MTB, CX, Gravel and a BMX

Interests; I love cycling - Racing, social and epic adventures

I'm only 12 but I race at a national level and put down some huge miles, my longest ride was last year when I rode 100 miles, but I like to climb too. I climbed Sa Colabra when I was 10 and aim to do so much more. Main goal at the moment is to get more young girls on bikes - I started going on my bike for an ice cream with dad after he had been on a social ride with his friends and I really encourage more dads to get us girls out and hopefully I can also help to inspire them to ride..
doodge

Post by doodge »

Hello, my real name is Doug/Dougie, I’m 71 years old. Always had a bike in the garage, just didn’t ride it all that often! I suffer a bit with arthritis in my knees and wrists, so recently bought an electric bike to help me along and it does help with my knees, but it has a flat bar which kills my wrists particularly on uneven surfaces. Now toying with buying a gravel bike for the drop bar, namely a Cannondale Topstone. Will this help? Can’t afford another e bike so it will have to be a manual jobbie.