Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
beichris

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by beichris »

Hi all

Been cycling for 60 years. Now trying to keep up both physically (so have to be helped by electricity) and in terms of everything that has changed in cycling. So much knowledge on this forum. Thanks for letting me join.

Bikes: Thorn Raven Tour with Pendex electric kit, Brompton with Sparticle electric kit, Tern Vektron S10 (which probably has to go as n+1 no longer an option)

Colour: yellow

Interested in books, all types of music, being away in the camper van
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

beichris wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 9:42am Hi all

Been cycling for 60 years. Now trying to keep up both physically (so have to be helped by electricity) and in terms of everything that has changed in cycling. So much knowledge on this forum. Thanks for letting me join.

Bikes: Thorn Raven Tour with Pendex electric kit, Brompton with Sparticle electric kit, Tern Vektron S10 (which probably has to go as n+1 no longer an option)

Colour: yellow

Interested in books, all types of music, being away in the camper van

Welcome Chris
I am here. Where are you?
gdk86

Post by gdk86 »

Good afternoon all!

I'm a bikeability instructor who lives in Sunderland.

I host quizzes and DJ to. Like every one else I like a drink, but during lockdown my drink intake has reduced! Mind my diet has been terrible!!

:)
Bikeability instructor for Sunderland City Council.
Also DJ and host three quizzes a week.
plantigrade

Post by plantigrade »

Hi, I'm Julian. I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Getting back into cycling after a 10 year break. I'm doing it for both physical and mental health reasons. I'm somehow 57 and see an increasing number of my contemporaries afflicted with lifestyle related ailments. I have no desire to join them sooner than absolutely necessary.

My bike is a 2005 Dawes Sterling.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

plantigrade wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 8:19am Hi, I'm Julian. I've been lurking for a few weeks.

Getting back into cycling after a 10 year break. I'm doing it for both physical and mental health reasons. I'm somehow 57 and see an increasing number of my contemporaries afflicted with lifestyle related ailments. I have no desire to join them sooner than absolutely necessary.

My bike is a 2005 Dawes Sterling.
Welcome Julian we're about the same age -- one thing I've noticed is the shortage of people our age to cycle with.
plantigrade

Post by plantigrade »

Cowsham wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 8:04pm Welcome Julian we're about the same age -- one thing I've noticed is the shortage of people our age to cycle with.
Thanks for the reply. Cycling is what I do when I need some solitude - I've never sought a cycling companion but I get your point.

I hope I'm not tempting fate - I know that a certain amount of genetic good fortune is involved but I think that at "our age" the choices we make and the results thereof become more stark.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

plantigrade wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 8:12am
Cowsham wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 8:04pm Welcome Julian we're about the same age -- one thing I've noticed is the shortage of people our age to cycle with.
Thanks for the reply. Cycling is what I do when I need some solitude - I've never sought a cycling companion but I get your point.

I hope I'm not tempting fate - I know that a certain amount of genetic good fortune is involved but I think that at "our age" the choices we make and the results thereof become more stark.

I think it's more about the choices we " made " in the past.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 10:03am

I think it's more about the choices we " made "
Many of the non-genetic choices were also made by others.

But you can affect your own future health starting today, it's not a done deal.

Happy cycling

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 10:05am
Cowsham wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 10:03am

I think it's more about the choices we " made "
Many of the non-genetic choices were also made by others.

But you can affect your own future health starting today, it's not a done deal.

Happy cycling

Jonathan
Agreed but regular exercise from an early age and continued regime through life makes a big difference for later life.

There was one guy though recently on BBC breakfast who only started running in his 50's and at 80 he was running the London Marathon or similar endurance feat that was coming up.
Finnthedude

Post by Finnthedude »

Hello,

Just joined as I've got back in to cycling again after not riding for about 10 years. Dug out the old bike, gave it a service and now using it every day. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Bike is a Claud Butler Stone River from either 2007 or 2008, not a high end machine but I've modified it to suit me and it's perfect for what I use it for. The old girl has been a good servant over the years and hopefully will continue to be for a good while yet.

Based in Stoke and mostly potter up and down the canal.

Thanks for reading,

Finnthedude.
SimonA

Post by SimonA »

Hello all,

My name is Simon, based in Hampshire, just outside Southampton. Staring to get back into cycling after a hiatus. Been lurking for awhile!
Flanman

Post by Flanman »

Hi All

I’m Andrew, been cycling ‘properly’ for about 7 or 8 years, mainly around Lincs. To be fair I was more of a runner until I serious cycling accident about 3 years ago, so ironically e-biking is now my main way of keeping fit! Hoping to lose the e bit soon

Cheers
Jo May

Post by Jo May »

Hi
My name's Jo and I'm a chap of 61 whi's been cycling on and off just about all my life.
Despite all this practice I appear to be geting slower, to the point in fact where I now ride an e-bike.
It's a mounatin bike, from Korea I believe, and great fun. It's enabled me to return to slightly more adventurous cycling after some health issues. When I say adventurous, I mean uphill.
Why a mountain bike? Well, the bike shop man said, 'it rules nowhere out,' which seemed sensible to me.
Round here (east Lancashire) we have canal towpaths, some of which are poorly surfaced, and various tracks that include the service roads between moor-top reservoirs. The guy was right in my case and I throroughly enjoy getting out and about.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

SimonA wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 11:09pm Hello all,

My name is Simon, based in Hampshire, just outside Southampton. Staring to get back into cycling after a hiatus. Been lurking for awhile!
Not Simon Avery?

Cheers James
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.