Pictures of your bike(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Pictures of your bike(s)

Post by Cowsham »

djnotts wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:00pm Don't you just hate it when your least aesthetically pleasing, least interesting and least expensive bike is in the real world the most versatile, most mechanically tolerant/serviceable and most comfortable fit of current stable and of most of the dozens that have passed through?
So do thieves. :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Chainstay sentiments endorsed.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Salade_Lyonnaise

Post by Salade_Lyonnaise »

Ray wrote: 4 Jan 2021, 4:05pm Have we had a Spa Elan on here? Here's my 725 version:
IMG_2032.JPG
And a close-up so you can see the sparkly bits in the paintwork - which delight my granddaughters!

Now fitted with 35mm tyres and a much larger home-made mudflap for the mucky winter roads.

Very happy with the bike. 531Colin has every reason to be proud of his design.
Hi Ray,

I'm about to push the button and order an Elan frame. Can I ask what size you have here, and what your BB centre to saddle top (inline with the seat-tube angle) measurement is? And did you cut the steerer down at all/how much?

Cheers :D !
Ray

Post by Ray »

Salade_Lyonnaise wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 5:03pm Hi Ray,

I'm about to push the button and order an Elan frame. Can I ask what size you have here, and what your BB centre to saddle top (inline with the seat-tube angle) measurement is? And did you cut the steerer down at all/how much?

It's a 54cm. frame. BB centre to saddle top is 71cm (28"). I did cut a chunk off the steerer, but can't remember for sure how much - maybe 6 -10 cm? If this is critical, just ask Spa how much spare there is with the stem right down. The head tube is unusually long, and I needed the stem right down to match my other bikes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new bike!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Salade_Lyonnaise

Post by Salade_Lyonnaise »

Ray wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 6:44pm
Salade_Lyonnaise wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 5:03pm Hi Ray,

It's a 54cm. frame. BB centre to saddle top is 71cm (28"). I did cut a chunk off the steerer, but can't remember for sure how much - maybe 6 -10 cm? If this is critical, just ask Spa how much spare there is with the stem right down. The head tube is unusually long, and I needed the stem right down to match my other bikes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new bike!
This is a great help, thanks Ray!
PH

Post by PH »

Bit of a rationalisation with my stable last year, three gone, replaced by this as a stablemate for my other Thorn. Six months in and I'm liking it a lot, big overlap between the two Thorns and quite a bit of interchangeability, still there's enough outside the duplication to make it worthwhile having both.
Thorn Nomad
ImageNomad 650B by Paul, on Flickr

For comparison, spot the difference!
Thorn Mercury
ImageClumber by Paul, on Flickr

And to complete the stable*, my Airnimal Joey travel bike
ImageJoey by Paul, on Flickr

* Not including those used solely for work.
Last edited by PH on 1 May 2023, 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The wayfarers replacement.
A Decathlon Rockrider 540. Not as elegant as the Wayfarer, but it does the job.
PXL_20230426_184843736.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If it does the job... What happened to the Wayfarer?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My dog killed it.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote: 1 May 2023, 4:16pm My dog killed it.
I do hope the dog is sorry vantage.
You maybe got off light - was reading a Derren Brown book of all things recently and he referred to a young guy who had unfortunately perished when his lively faithful dog crossed in front of him.
Cycle on/enjoy your rides on whatever (with pooch in basket/pannier/trailer?)
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Vantage wrote: 1 May 2023, 4:16pm My dog killed it.
This needs explanation...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I was towing my dog in her trailer at around 10-12mph. Turned into a left hand corner and I'm not 100% on this but I think the mutt scrambled across to the right hand side of the trailer which was enough to turn the trailer onto its side. That in turn pulled the bike and I over. The impact of hitting the road was enough for the ebike battery to rip out the bottle cage mounts and left a crease in the down tube.
A builder quoted £420 to repair and respray. Too much for a frame that cost £395 when I bought it.
Bill

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vantage wrote: 1 May 2023, 9:38pm I was towing my dog in her trailer at around 10-12mph. Turned into a left hand corner and I'm not 100% on this but I think the mutt scrambled across to the right hand side of the trailer which was enough to turn the trailer onto its side. That in turn pulled the bike and I over. The impact of hitting the road was enough for the ebike battery to rip out the bottle cage mounts and left a crease in the down tube.
A builder quoted £420 to repair and respray. Too much for a frame that cost £395 when I bought it.
You put a battery in a titanium bike? Electrification is ideal for making heavy bikes a useable item but I'd not want to do that to a light bike.
PH

Post by PH »

Cowsham wrote: 1 May 2023, 10:26pm You put a battery in a titanium bike?
Where does it say it was titanium?
More importantly, where can I get a ti frame for £395 :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 1 May 2023, 11:14pm
Cowsham wrote: 1 May 2023, 10:26pm You put a battery in a titanium bike?
Where does it say it was titanium?
More importantly, where can I get a ti frame for £395 :lol:
Sorry my bad