Cycling while pregnant

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Richard

Cycling while pregnant

Postby Richard » 7 Feb 2005, 10:42am

Do any readers have good recommendations for information about cycling while pregnant - or your own stories? My partner is going into the second trimester of her pregnancy and we regularly go touring and would like to carry on doing so. Are there any pros and cons / things to watch out for, other than what common sense says...? Thanks.

RMW

Re:Cycling while pregnant

Postby RMW » 8 Feb 2005, 9:46pm

I was cycling fairly regularly, out on club runs, to about 6 months. I could probably have carried on another month or so, but happened to not have any weekends free. After that, I found I could not get on and off my large diamond frame bike. I did a few very, very short rides, just up and down the road, late on, with a smaller bike, which I found an enjoyable form of gentle exercise.
You get so that you are very, very slow on the uphills, and you keep wanting to stop and go to the loo, and you go rather fast downhill - a toptube comes in handy here for resting the bump on. You also do not want to strain yourself with lugging eg over stiles etc. Your wife has probably worked all this out by now.
Broadly, your assumption of common sense is correct. I would not advise anyone to start cycling when pregnant, but those of us who are cyclists already have no problems continuing until sheer physical impossibilty comes into play.
There is the story of course of the woman who cycled down to the hospital in labour, remembered she'd left toothbrush behind, cycled back to get it, returned to hospital and had the baby. This may be apocraphyl.

RMW

Postby RMW » 8 Feb 2005, 9:47pm

I was cycling fairly regularly, out on club runs, to about 6 months. I could probably have carried on another month or so, but happened to not have any weekends free. After that, I found I could not get on and off my large diamond frame bike. I did a few very, very short rides, just up and down the road, late on, with a smaller bike, which I found an enjoyable form of gentle exercise.
You get so that you are very, very slow on the uphills, and you keep wanting to stop and go to the loo, and you go rather fast downhill - a toptube comes in handy here for resting the bump on. You also do not want to strain yourself with lugging eg over stiles etc. Your wife has probably worked all this out by now.
Broadly, your assumption of common sense is correct. I would not advise anyone to start cycling when pregnant, but those of us who are cyclists already have no problems continuing until sheer physical impossibilty comes into play.
There is the story of course of the woman who cycled down to the hospital in labour, remembered she'd left toothbrush behind, cycled back to get it, returned to hospital and had the baby. This may be apocraphyl.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » 12 Apr 2005, 10:36pm

i cycled until 2 weeks before the baby was born with my first child, slightly less with my 2nd and 3rd. don't take any notice of those over-cautious books which say that you shouldn't cycle at all in pregnancy. what rubbish! only problem is when the bump gets in the way of your legs so you have to cycle with legs splayed out to the side.

witcomb

Postby witcomb » 13 Apr 2005, 3:11am

my wife rode ride up to a few hours before our first son was born. she went right from the ride to the hospital.