What's a Comfy saddle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeF

Re: What's a Comfy saddle

Post by MikeF »

Brooks B17 Standard. Comfortable from the start. Even more so after time - both on roads and rough surfaces. After purchase I didn't immediately put it on the bike, but rubbed in Brooks Proofhide on the underside each evening for about a week. The saddle must have absorbed about half a tin!
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

I have three, all of which I would recommend for different reasons - Brooks B17, Selle An-Atomica "no-slot" and a Selle Italia Flite Ti. But to be honest it's a waste of time writing up the pros and cons, IMHO choosing saddles can be summed up thus:

If you buy a leather one (Brooks or Spa copy being the commonest ones), it might be comfy straight away, or there's a reasonable chance that it will wear to your shape. If you buy a non-leather (plastic framed) one, you just have to try loads until you find one that suits you. If you buy a squishy gel one, well, you shouldn't.

In both cases, your backside will get used to whatever you sit on, but there's more give and take in leather.

Consider:

If you are a gentleman, you might find that any saddle with a love groove - er, I mean pressure relief channel - is better, and relieves numbness over distance. Numbness of the gentleman vegetables is definitely to be avoided.

Brooks saddles are a pain because you have to keep the rain off them or they go all saggy (so I'm told).

Charge Spoons seem to suit a lot of people and they are dirt cheap.
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

I have had minimal grief out of a charge spoon. Never tried a brooks, and with my low income I doubt I will ever try such a costly experiment either! I don't like the idea of having to worry about leaving it out in the rain though...
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I wondered if the OP had some friends with different saddles on their bikes and who would be OK to let him try them out on a ride or two?

Until I tried a Brooks B17 I struggled with discomfort in my sit bones - I've found the Champion Flyer even better but may have to buy another one as it seems to have migrated on my partner, Ruth's bike :-)

Saddles are a bit like shoes I think, different styles suit different people. Good luck with trying them out and I hope you find one to suit you soon.
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

Super comfy saddles now on offer at http://www.selleanatomica.com
paieye

Post by paieye »

I ride a Brompton, which requires an upright posture, and have found a Vavert Comfort saddle just right, and excellent value at about £20: http://www.vavert.com/products.html.