Brooks B17 Standard or Narrow

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
QuasiTourer

Brooks B17 Standard or Narrow

Post by QuasiTourer »

Not sure which B17 to get,

Narrow or Standard.

I don't carry much weight in the backside, I have roughly a 30" waist. Would this make the narrow more suitable, or is it just supposed to be more sporty?

Thanks
tooley92

Re: Brooks B17 Standard or Narrow

Post by tooley92 »

It depends on the width of your sit bones, although with a 30" waist you would probably be ok with a narrow. Personally I use a B17 Special (which is basically a B17 Titanium with steel rails) but I'm 102Kg and have a 36" waist :cry:
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

My two pence worth, as a similarly skinny person:

1. I bought a B17, which was comfortable, but too wide and caused restriction of thigh movement when riding hard in the drops

2. I traded it for a B17 Narrow, which was better for thigh movement but has a much flatter top which caused unbearable perineal pressure

3. I traded the B17N for a Brooks Swift, which has been excellent for the last 3,000 miles or so!

Although it does end up costing more in the long run, lightly used Brooks saddles are always in demand on the for sale board and on eBay, so don't be afraid of buying and selling until you find the correct one, like I did. FWIW though, I'd heartily reccomend the Swift.
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

Buy one of each and try them both. Sell off the one that you don't like. Brooks saddles that are only slightly used retain their value really well and are easily sold.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
531colin

Post by 531colin »

cjchambers wrote:My two pence worth, as a similarly skinny person:

1. I bought a B17, which was comfortable, but too wide and caused restriction of thigh movement when riding hard in the drops

2. I traded it for a B17 Narrow, which was better for thigh movement but has a much flatter top which caused unbearable perineal pressure

3. I traded the B17N for a Brooks Swift, which has been excellent for the last 3,000 miles or so!

Although it does end up costing more in the long run, lightly used Brooks saddles are always in demand on the for sale board and on eBay, so don't be afraid of buying and selling until you find the correct one, like I did. FWIW though, I'd heartily reccomend the Swift.

I was reading this along, nodding in agreement, I'm not much bigger than the OP, B17 is OK except, yeah, its too wide for me too, try a B17 Narrow.......Eh? How does the Narrow have a FLATTER top? If you look at a B17 from the back, the top is flat, and its those corners that poke the back of my thigh when the pedal is at the bottom. But the Narrow has a rounded top, when you look at it from the back. Doesnt it? Mine do, but I dont own a B17 to compare with. I cant even get them on the same page on the Brooks site.....
Russell160

Post by Russell160 »

I asked this same question of a Brooks representative at York Cycle Rally, his name was Steve I think the office manager, very helpful. He said the standard B17 was designed for a more upright, near vertical riding position along the lines of traditional bikes made at the turn of the century. 'The B17 Narrow was designed for use with drop bars and a more leaned over touring/road position, primarily for the reasons described by others: pressure/chafing against the inner thighs when putting the hammer down. So his recommendation for drop bars was basically the B17 narrow.
For what it's worth I have a Swallow which looks very pretty but has a very small surface area which I regret, and will probably go for the Narrow myself next.
I agree with others about the easy resaleability of brooks, you won't lose much by experimenting.
If you remain unsure I'm sure if you called Brooks and asked for Steve he would be willing to advise. Their web site isn't very helpful in explaining the differences between models.
hartleymartin

Post by hartleymartin »

I ride with a B67 and drop handlebars... I must have a fat backside.
Martin Hartley from Sydney, Australia
Self-confessed Raleigh Twenty tragic.
http://raleightwenty.webs.com
QuasiTourer

Post by QuasiTourer »

Their web site isn't very helpful in explaining the differences between models

Yes, It's quite poor.

The swift looks amazing. However, It's adding just a little too much extra on-to the price.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'd be able to flog an only slightly used brooks on ebay, or here.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

531colin wrote:How does the Narrow have a FLATTER top? If you look at a B17 from the back, the top is flat, and its those corners that poke the back of my thigh when the pedal is at the bottom. But the Narrow has a rounded top, when you look at it from the back. Doesnt it? Mine do, but I dont own a B17 to compare with. I cant even get them on the same page on the Brooks site.....

I think we're talking about different planes of flatness! I mean flatness looking from the side. The Swift and (to a lesser extent) the B17 have a slump in the middle, which is where my . . . erm . . . sensitive region . . . goes. If you still diasagree with me, then maybe we'll have to put it down to manufacturing variation.

There was a recent thread about the Swift having a slump in the middle, as if it was a defect - I consider it a positive feature! Just goes to show how individual saddle choice is.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Got you!
The dip in the middle (seen from the side) varies depending on the saddles use, and tension adjustment.
I think the most important thing is to take your weight on your bum bones.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Your body fat is irrelevant. You can be fat and have sitbones that are close together, and tha ti s what matters. The older variable is indeed how far forward you sit. For me, the 170mm B17 and the sprung Champion Flyer are rather too wide, and even the 160mm Team Profesional is. I prefer and still use a 35 year old 155mm Professional.
Willem
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have a B17 Narrow and am 5'6" with a 32" waist. I moved it from my touring bike to my road bike (Specialized Allez) and it has made the bike ridable for 70+ miles instead of the 20-30 which I was getting out of the original saddle. I was wondering whether a standard B17 would be better for the tourer, though on the road bike the narrow seems spot on. Or should I just get another narrow for the tourer? Both bikes are drop bar but the bars on the tourer are just slightly higher.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I have Narrow's on everything, including "the tank" with straight bars.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Just got a standard B17 myself - don't they scratch easy? I'd made a mess of mine before even riding it so it was a good job it fits well otherwise I'd have lost some money - I'm 6 foot and 18 stone and it fits me perfectly, even from the off with no "break in" it has been very comfortable.

Couldn't comment on drop bar use, mine is on a MTB so fairly up-right riding position, probably some of the best money I've spent.
Rusty Spanner

Post by Rusty Spanner »

Found the box for my B17 Narrow the other day - not sure how old it is but it cost £21.99 :)
I've always had Narrows on road bikes without problems, but the latest one is currently on a mountain bike/tourer & I think I'd probably be a bit comfier on the Standard.
I did look at buying another one but can't believe how much they cost these days. Not surprising really I suppose considering the quality & longevity. Never wore one out - only had them knicked!

I wish they'd change the shape of the rails to allow for more fore/aft adjustment and the fitting of a seat pack clamp though.