Cannulated Screw hip repair

Si C

Re: Cannulated Screw hip repair

Post by Si C »

Guys. Theres an awful lot for me to take in here at this early stage. I will come back with a more detailed post in the near future.

Can I ask one thing? Did any of you suffer with your foot swelling? If my foot is not elevated it's constantly really puffy.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Yes. My feet are somewhat inclined to swell if I don't exercise, eg by walking 30 minutes a day. In the first 6 weeks, with no weight on that foot at all, it swelled.

You should mention this to your consultant or GP in case the frature has compromised something.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Si C wrote:Guys. Theres an awful lot for me to take in here at this early stage. I will come back with a more detailed post in the near future.

Can I ask one thing? Did any of you suffer with your foot swelling? If my foot is not elevated it's constantly really puffy.

Yes, probably nothing to worry about but another thing that the medical people seem to assume you will expect and/ or won't be concerned about. When I did mine it was already cold and then the snow and -10 temps started, so my leg, despite the muscle bulk wasting more each day, was bigger than the non-broken one due to swelling and a lovely shade of purple most of the time. I wondered if I could get work as an extra in casualty since my broken leg resembled that of a corpse. Also, due to the cold weather and central heating, my foot became covered in what I first thought to be acne, but soon discovered to be chillblains. All this was related to the lack of movement and weightbearing; circulation back from the foot is helped by the pumping action of the calf when walking. The physio advised me to pump my foot in free air to simulate the pumping of walking but it gave no real benefit. My leg really only began to look alive and normal size (actually quite a lot smaller, due to muscle wasteage) again once I was able to start weight bearing again; fortunately for me this was after twelve weeks.
markowe

Post by markowe »

Si C wrote:Guys. Theres an awful lot for me to take in here at this early stage. I will come back with a more detailed post in the near future.

To be honest, I can't remember having major foot swelling, mostly it was in my leg, especially the quadriceps area, but there's a lot of fluid sloshing around in there so it doesn't sound unusual that you would have that symptom. And I certainly spent most of the first week or two with my feet up. It's a REALLY good idea to do exercises even now - non-weight bearing ones, obviously. They had me doing leg lifts straight out of surgery - they seemed impossible to begin with, but gradually things got better and better, and its so important for the circulation, as well as rehabilitation of your leg. I am sure it helps the swelling go down too. They even had me bending the operated leg at the knee, sort of past the pain barrier type of thing. Tough at the time, but did the world of good. Consult your doc/physio, though, of course.
Here2eternity

Post by Here2eternity »

Not had any foot swelling myself but vyrnwy73 earlier in this thread reported he had it and describes it as "not unexpected" by physio. So I should get it checked out but wouldn't panic :?
Si C

Post by Si C »

Had a great meeting with the consultant yesterday. He's very happy with the first x-rays and progress so far. Infact, he suggested I could even be off crutches in 4 weeks time. Apparently I'm slightly out-of-line on the broken side due to the compacting. But, again, it's slight and he feels I should make a full recovery.

I start with the physio on the 27th and plan to get back on the turbo for some light work around then.
TravelLight69

Post by TravelLight69 »

Hi! I broke my left neck of femur back in March 2006 (when I was 36). No cycling accident, I stumbled on a brick pavement, and ended up with a two cannulated screw fixation. It was a valgus impacted fracture, where the bone crushes into itself when it breaks. I also lost a bit of leg length (not obvious to any on looker, as I have since learnt to compensate). I could not walk on it at all for 3 months (hopping around on crutches), which was a nightmare, especially as my daughter was 3 at the time. I then had intensive physio for 3 months, due to the muscle wastage. By 12 months I felt more or less normal. It's since been about 95% compared to what it used to be - so that's now the new normal! No medical condition found, the surgeons said sheer bad luck, and being slim. No fat to pad me out a bit... I came upon the CTC forum after googling a bit about broken hips and screw removal. Nowhere else at all seems to discuss hip repair and the aftermath so sensibly and practically! I'm over 6 years post op now and I still have the screws in. The surgeon said that unless they cause me alot of discomfort, such as persistent inflammation, to leave them alone. I have since asked again (last year) and he has said to leave them in. If the hip breaks a second time around it'll be a total hip replacement, which being a mum to a child under 10 I do not really want to undergo. I did ask the surgeon what if (and when) the hip simply degenerates due to old age and he said that they would simply take the screws out and do the hip replacement, and it would be quite straightforward... I too am like a walking barometer, more so when it's cold, wet, damp, etc. But often people are when they've broken anything, especially hips, legs, and ankles, even without metal implants. The screws do rub a bit on and off, especially when I've been walking alot, more than say 6 miles in one day. (I walk 4 miles most days). The next day I do suffer, with alot of aching and a sore hip to the side of the scar area. Deep down I would like the screws removed, but I cannot face the uncertainty of another break or hip replacement, at least for the time being... Yes, the screws are a nagging nuisance sometimes, but I've got used to them. And if anybody worries if they set off security systems, I have had that yet. I've flown from Gatwick airport with no problems, and gone through the Olympic security systems too.
Hope this is useful information. Good luck and best wishes to all! TravelLight69.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Many thanks, TravelLight69. I hope you don't have too much trouble.

This being a cycling forum, I thought I'd mention in case you didn't know that we hip sufferers generally find that cycling causes less pain than walking, as it doesn't need as much force through the hip joint. So do take up cycling if you don't already. (But, of course, don't fall off.)
Here2eternity

Post by Here2eternity »

Here2eternity wrote:Thanks goatwarden - I dont know where I would find any of your advice or comments insulting - I have read the whole thread and also started another thread in March 2011 to which you contributed some useful and encouraging thoughts. I am certainly aware of the seriousness of hip injury, having been in constant debilitating pain since the fracture 18 months ago. Today I can only walk short distances on crutches or, on a good day, a walking stick. I cant put socks on or lace shoes and have to have a special chair to sit on. I sleep very poorly due to pain in the joint - note that i am writing this at 1.45am. This after having 3 screws removed in June. My hopes are now pinned on a total hip replacement on 18 September. I recently met with the surgeon who detailed all the risks associated with the procedure both in the short and longer term.
This will be the third time in 18 months that I have had my hip cut into by the surgeon and I have previously used olive oil to keep scar site in good condition.
I have found the forum of great value in showing that while there is huge variation in the time taken and procedures to get through most of us will be able to get back on our bikes - this is what keeps me going these dark nights.
If anyone is still following this thread I had a total hip replacement on Tuesday 25 September. For details of history since the accident in march 2011 see earlier posts. Surgeon told me today that when he dislocated the hip as part of the procedure the fractured femur fell apart, showing the union had been incomplete. This explains the excruciating pain I have been in since June when the screws were removed.
Tuesday's op went well and has substantially corrected the 4cm leg length difference that followed previous surgery. I was discharged 2 days after the op (how about that, goatwarden?) and the only thing that worries me now is 12 weeks trying to sleep on my back. :D
andy63

Post by andy63 »

Hi sorry to hear of your fall . I was hit by a van on 30.6.2011. Result broken femur , but I had a dynamic hip screw repair . I was in hospital for 5 days , would of been shorter but I had to have a blood transfusion , so it put things back a day . They got me up out of bed on day two, but not full weight bearing .
It was a long road to today ,when I feel I can say I,m 95% back to how I was . If you want to chat feel free to contact me , will gladly an swear any questions if I can .
Take it easy a let your body repair itself , I think its a time issue .
Here2eternity

Post by Here2eternity »

andy63 wrote:Hi sorry to hear of your fall . I was hit by a van on 30.6.2011. Result broken femur , but I had a dynamic hip screw repair . I was in hospital for 5 days , would of been shorter but I had to have a blood transfusion , so it put things back a day . They got me up out of bed on day two, but not full weight bearing .
It was a long road to today ,when I feel I can say I,m 95% back to how I was . If you want to chat feel free to contact me , will gladly an swear any questions if I can .
Take it easy a let your body repair itself , I think its a time issue .

Thanks andy63 - I have now gone the course of hip fracture and now have a new artificial hip. My own hip fracture failed to heal. The 3 screws put in after the accident in March 2011 were removed in June 2012. Following their removal I was in more pain than ever and my leg length difference increased to 4cm. When the surgeon operated last Tuesday to replace the hip he found the fracture had never healed. I think this is fairly unusual - fractures that do heal usually show considerable improvement within 6 or even 3 months. Sadly this was not the case with mine. I am now very optimistic that my new hip will get me back on my feet and by next spring my bike. I think my time as a case study for hip screw repair is gone now - I may start a new thread on cycling after a total hip replacement. All the very best to hip owners entering this thread for info on hip fracture repair - there is excellent information and support offered by many, which I have found useful in my own darkest moments.
Just one final thought - in common with both fracture recovery and hip replacement we are required to sleep on our backs for 3 months. This I find torture - has anyone any tips on how to sleep on my back? I've tried hot chocolate, whisky, herbal tablets, all to no avail and tramadol ( helped a bit but hated taking it and feared withdrawal systems.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

All the best, andy63 and Here2eternity (and everyone else), for your respective repairs.

I hated having to sleep on my back, and never found out how to do it properly.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I learned to sleep on my back when, at 16, I dislocated my patella and so slept with the leg elevated on a couple of pillows, to keep the swelling down. I did this for some months, and again two years later as a result of the same injury.

Many years of sleeping in tents on hard and uneven surfaces helped perfect comfort in this position. When I broke my hip it just seemed very natural to put a couple of pilows under the leg to remind me not to turn over in my sleep.I don't remember anyone telling me I should sleep on my back as a result of breaking my hip; but then the people in Swindon hospital failed to give me any advice or guidance, hence my starting this thread.

Sleeping on my back does promote snoring rather but that's an occupational hazard.
Si C

Post by Si C »

I'm now 6 weeks post accident. Physio started this week and is quite demanding. This week I plan to start some very light 20 min spins on the turbo.

I still have some discomfort and a strange, alarming click and pain from my hip if I do too much or find myself in an awkward position. I fear I may be pushing too hard. My next appointment with the consultant is this coming Friday. I have found myself weight bearing more on the leg and sometimes getting around on one crutch. I was asked to keep the weight bearing to a light touch, but, I guess it's human nature and the desire to 'get-on' to push a bit more.

Sleeping on my back I find impossible. I tend to roll on my uninjured side, put a cushion between my knees and get maybe 1 hour before discomfort sets in. I tend to get up in the early hours for a cuppa and an hours work, then go back to bed.

Here2eternity. Your story is quite unfortunate. Good luck with the new hip and recovery.
Si C

Post by Si C »

Has anyone had conversations with their surgeons/consultants regarding the risk involved with another fall on the repaired hip?

The desire to try and get back to full fitness and race again is still there for me. However, I fear the prospect of a full hip replacement, should I land on this hip again. I am self-employed and currently starting another business. The fallout of this accident has been extensive. Financially - a minor disaster, emotionally - I now have a deep seated fear of falling off again and my marital relationship has been tested to the point, that another cycling related accident won't be, well, quiet as well accepted.

I've been passionate about training and racing for some time. However, this bloody freak accident may well have called time for me.