Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by simonineaston »

you get a discount if you arrive by bicycle.
Nice!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

hodge wrote: 2 Feb 2022, 11:07am
Hellhound wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 11:11pm Garden Rooms at Braithwell and the Court Yard Cafe at Womersley have permanently shut and the Lakeside at Askern is also closed(but may reopen if new managers are found).All were very popular with the (many)local CCs.Have had many a brew and cake in all three and will miss them!
Have you been to the Lakeside cafe at Askern and found it closed recently?
Their facebook page says it reopened November 27th 2021.
From Sheffield CTC Facebook page:-
Sad to hear the Courtyard Cafe at Womersley has permanently closed. This was going to be our first caf stop on the Osmotherley trip - I'll have to have a rethink!
With the closure of the Lakeside Cafe at Askern too we don't have too many other options
This appears to be incorrect now.It is owned by Doncaster CC and was closed for a short time whilst new managers were put in place.It reopened before Christmas but many of us did not know it had reopened already :oops: :oops:
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Sweets tea room http://www.sweetstearooms.co.uk/
Bicycle friendly and great food if on holiday.

Always have a smile and friendly it seems
rjb

Post by rjb »

What a shame this topic cant be easily ordered by county. Any brains here able to suggest how this may be achieved. :?:
So sweets tea rooms i know is in somerset but dosent appear if you input Somerset in the search box. It would rely upon the original poster putting the county somewhere in the post.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
drossall

Post by drossall »

You need a database and a site such as this: https://cafes.cyclingmaps.net/

I've no connection with it and there may be others. But a forum is never going to be an effective way to find a local cafe for yourself, as you've found. It's just completely the wrong structure.

For that matter, I think Google is trying to get cleverer. I think it spots that "cycling cafes" is likely to mean "near me" and puts that in for you. So I get ones in my area. Try it: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cycling+cafes

Of course, I wasn't looking for ones near me, so it was just annoying. But doing that kind of thing is what the knowledge graph is all about. It may mean that you don't need a special list and you can just use Google.
horizon

Post by horizon »

drossall wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 8:20pm . . . a forum is never going to be an effective way to find a local cafe for yourself, as you've found. It's just completely the wrong structure.
I started the thread exactly 15 years ago (well, plus 1 day!) on 16th March 2007. It was just an idea to allow people the chance to share something good they had found and enjoyed, not to signpost cafes (though that is also possible of course). And of course to celebrate the fact that tea and cake goes well with cycling!

And in fact the thread title was deliberate: it was intended for tea shops, not greasy spoon cafes; afternoon tea, not eggs and bacon in the morning. And certainly not supermarket cafes. I believed then that there is a tradition around tea shops: what they sell in the way of cakes and when they open. Surprisingly, it is a tradition that seems alive and well today. A photo was requested but not often provided.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

horizon wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 10:29pm
drossall wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 8:20pm . . . a forum is never going to be an effective way to find a local cafe for yourself, as you've found. It's just completely the wrong structure.
I started the thread exactly 15 years ago (well, plus 1 day!) on 16th March 2007. It was just an idea to allow people the chance to share something good they had found and enjoyed, not to signpost cafes (though that is also possible of course). And of course to celebrate the fact that tea and cake goes well with cycling!

And in fact the thread title was deliberate: it was intended for tea shops, not greasy spoon cafes; afternoon tea, not eggs and bacon in the morning. And certainly not supermarket cafes. I believed then that there is a tradition around tea shops: what they sell in the way of cakes and when they open. Surprisingly, it is a tradition that seems alive and well today. A photo was requested but not often provided.

I couldn't resist a quick look at your opening post. Three years ago we were camping at Steeple Leaze Farm near Kimmeridge and rode out over the ranges to Lulworth cove and then north through Winfrith Newburg to join up with NCN 2 just outside of Moreton. We also discovered the Moreton tea room by accident and you'll be pleased to know that they are still providing excellent tea and cakes, at least they were back then. I hope they've survived lockdown.

Another recommendation in that area is the tea room at the RSPB reserve at Arne.
steve.y.griffith

Post by steve.y.griffith »

A few Mid Wales recommendations:

Tregaron : The Riverside it’s on the A road to Lampeter right on the edge of town past the school. Lovely high quality converted barn . Opens pretty much everyday and sometimes converts to a Bistro in the evening

Tregaron : The Red Kite Centre (local history centre in the old school on the B road to Llandewi Brefi ) does tea and Welsh cakes but opening is more limited . Earlier this year only Wed and Friday

Llangeitho: Cafe in the centre of the village by a roundabout which a local claims was the first roundabout in Wales . Dunno about that but cafe is pretty good .

Llanwrtyd Wells ( of bog snorkelling and Man v Horse fame ): Cupboard and Cakes on the road to Abergwesyn. It may look like a Woman’s dress shop but the owner does tea and cakes and is very pro cyclist .

Thomas Shop : Pen Y Bont on the A44 5 miles north east of Llandrindod Wells Open Thursday to Sundays . Cafe in preserved Edwardian Shop all food home made .Owner is an expert in local history

Finally if you go past Tyncornel Hostel in the Doethie valley you can make yourself a cup of tea/coffee for free !
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

JohnW wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 4:59pm
100%JR wrote:Windmill Cafe,Royd Moor,Penistone.
Mentioned this on before but I think deserves another mention as it's been extended and completely refurbished 8)
+1 to Windmills Café. I must have seen you there.
Haven't looked at this thread since, ooh, January 2019, but by chance I discovered the Windmill Cafe on Royd Moor this June. I'll third this, great place, good food, not expensive, good portions. Nice cake too! Shame you have to leave your bike in a patch of gravel though.
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I'll put a shout out for the Impromptu Cafe, Elsdon, Northumberland.
Absolutely amazing place....tons of cycling history, lovely owners and the amazing Gibbet cake!

Impromptu Cafe

The School House, Elsdon, Newcastle upon Tyne NE19 1AA
01830 520389 https://g.co/kgs/UX4n1k
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Milfred Cubicle wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 6:39pm I'll put a shout out for the Impromptu Cafe, Elsdon, Northumberland.
Absolutely amazing place....tons of cycling history, lovely owners and the amazing Gibbet cake!

Impromptu Cafe

The School House, Elsdon, Newcastle upon Tyne NE19 1AA
01830 520389 https://g.co/kgs/UX4n1k
Is it still the same owners from 20 years ago?
Last visited as a control on Northumbrian castles 300k
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
fredleP

Post by fredleP »

100%JR wrote: 5 Jun 2016, 8:29pm
Richard A Thackeray wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:Bank View Cafe-Langsett,Sheffield.

The food is good(Breakfast portions are HUGE) but it does get very busy at weekends!
Just don't eat lots, then head straight over, then southwards over The Strines (Mortimer Road'), or you'll taste it more than once!!
I/we always use it after the Strines for that reason :lol:
Stunning but tough road in either direction!
hahahha same here:D
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well as times get hard, it's worth celebrating great value Beans on toast and here's a cafe that has been going a long long time with no frills Quite simply a pile of beans and two lovely slices.
Blind Beck Tea Room at Horton in Ribblesdale.
In contrast, was a mean, overpriced spoonful and a small slice from a well-known Stavely cafe!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

arnsider wrote: 9 Oct 2022, 8:59pm Well as times get hard, it's worth celebrating great value Beans on toast and here's a cafe that has been going a long long time with no frills Quite simply a pile of beans and two lovely slices.
Blind Beck Tea Room at Horton in Ribblesdale.
..........Ah I know that cafe - a stopping place for me for years. Mrs Huddlestone.
Don't forget to mention her cakes. Who needs frills?
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Another Cracker of a cafe with really excellent prices and portions is the Old Vicarage tearooms at Tosside.
If you've flogged over Waddington Fell or over Bowland Knotts from Clapham, this is the place to refresh yourself!