Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rmurphy195

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by rmurphy195 »

My local favourite tea shop has now closed its doors permanently.

Manor House Farm tea shop near Earlswood lakes closed just before Christmas and will be sorely missed locally, and probably for 20-miles or so aroundabout by the cycling comminity. After having to close through Covid (a years trade lost), then losing out big-time due to the closure of the Earlswood lakes footpaths during engineering work the business has finally succumbed to increased energy and food costs.

The goats have, according to the sign on the door, been re-homed to a local animal sanctuary.

Alistair, and his tea, cakes, and piccies of Hollywood stars (and the goats) will be sorely missed.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
jb

Post by jb »

arnsider wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 8:26pm Another Cracker of a cafe with really excellent prices and portions is the Old Vicarage tearooms at Tosside.
If you've flogged over Waddington Fell or over Bowland Knotts from Clapham, this is the place to refresh yourself!
"Cash only lad" :D
Cheers
J Bro
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Le Fournil des Éclusiers in Lutzelbourg, Lorraine. I have to do 70-odd km to get there but it's worth it:

Half-decent coffee, too, which is rare in pâtisseries.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Audax67 wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 8:53am Le Fournil des Éclusiers in Lutzelbourg, Lorraine. I have to do 70-odd km to get there but it's worth it:

Half-decent coffee, too, which is rare in pâtisseries.
What is in that? The bread looks odd for France?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Chicken & salad in Swedish-style flatbread. Sheer genius: cumin in the dressing. Big chunks of roast chicken, too: a lot of places use deli chicken these days, sliced so thin you could read through it.

It got so unstable once I'd eaten half that I had to ask for a knife & fork to finish it with.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

A very good find is the Do It Yourself tea shack at High Greenfield, the very top of Wharfedale, where you turn left for the watershed route over into Ribblesdale. The farmer keeps a big flask of hot water and there are a variety of teabags and coffee sachets along with milk and a selection of biscuits and crisps. Outside is a table and chairs. You just put the money in a pot!
The Path Racer

Post by The Path Racer »

Don't think it's been mentioned previously but I'm a fairly frequent visitor to the 5 rise locks cafe at Bingley on the Leeds-Liverpool canal. Housed in former stables when canal boats were horse powered. If you cycle along the canal from the Saltaire direction you will climb the 3 rise locks and then a little later the 100 metre length 18% gradient of the 5 rise. Cafe is at the top of the climb. If you can manage both I'll allow you a guilt free cream bun. The ice cream is good too. The seeded flapjacks are for the more health conscious. If you still feel guilty you can go climb the off road 0.9 mile 125 metre elevation climb of nearby Altar Lane.
I think the cafe is closed on Mondays. Not sure about winter opening times though. It's also the cafe where I was introduced to Stoic philosophy.
Attachments
stoic.jpg
5rise.jpg
Flite

Post by Flite »

Good News!
The Hemmel Café at Allenheads in Northumberland re-opens on Thurs 21 March, with new tenants in charge. Opening times will be 9.30am till 4pm on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday, and 9.30am to 4.30pm at weekends.
Closed on Wednesdays for now but will open all week in the summer.
It is on the Sustrans C2C route. Only cafe between Alston and Parkhead (Parkhead is only open weekends, I think) Plenty of safe space to leave bikes. Indoor and outdoor seating.

I biked over today (in gale-force winds) for coffee and scones - both good.
Properly experienced chef, good range of food, incl veggie, vegan, gluten free etc.
You may need to walk up the next hill...
Please note that the old facebook page is not being updated and still says the café is closed.