Strange wear pattern on latex tubes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Chuck Glider

Strange wear pattern on latex tubes

Post by Chuck Glider »

Have been using Michelin latex tubes recently on my road bike with 700x24 continental GP folding tyres. The (green) tubes were specified as 18/23 I think and I was running them at 110 psi. After about a month, including some fast riding, I got a very slow puncture in the front, seemingly after a front wheel whack on a road bump. When I took the Tyre off there was weird chequered, puckering pattern on the inside surface of the tube. Like the latex had been plasticly deformed. The rim tape is smooth and good quality (as fitted on the new Fulcrum racing 5 wheels). In particular there is no clue as to what caused this squared puckering. The back tube showed the same deformation!

What is this? Will try to post a photo later.
Chuck Glider

Re: Strange wear pattern on latex tubes

Post by Chuck Glider »

So, here's a photo. OK, it's not really a chequered pattern, but it is regular and squarish. As I said, the rim tape is pristine and smooth, so I've no idea what caused this (on both inner tubes). Near the valve area, it's just worn - there is no squarish plastic deformation pattern. :?
Attachments
Michelin inner tube
Michelin inner tube
latextyre.jpg (123.9 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Your photo looks like what I can feel through my fingers when pressing my rim tape.

I have no experience with latex tubes, but I see that Schwalbe say latex tubes have to be changed every time a tyre is changed (http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_tube). I don't know why they say that. Perhaps because the tube deforms in the way you describe, and would re-deform in a slightly different way at the second installation, weakening the tube.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

It looks like that the pattern ferom the rim tape has transferred to the tube. Latex tubes being more flxible than butyl tubes.
old_man

Post by old_man »

It might just be me being fussy/pedantic, but if your tyres are 24 mm in wide, then the 18/23 inner tube is probably a bit on the small side. Obviously, it works, but the rubber is being stretched more than it was intended. I'd would always fit tubes where the width specification 'straddled' the tyre width.
As a totally made up example, if my tyre spec is 622 x 25, I'd choose a inner tube that is 700 x 18/28.
I agree in your case, 1mm either way probably doesn't make much difference.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Real long shot, but no change you've dragged a tyre lever along it?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Interesting thoughts, thanks. I quite like the feel of latex ( oo er missus), so will get some more. Will use 23 tyre and be v careful with levers. I did drag them round the rim on removal. Actually I should probably do only one of those, or I'll never work out the cause!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Dust the latex tube and inside the tyre liberally with French chalk/talc. This should stop the tube sticking to the inside of the tyre, so that the only bit free to move and expand is the bit next to the rim tape. That might be what is causing this strange localised stretching of the tube.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

You say that the rim tape is in good nick. It's not cloth by any chance? The reason I mention this is that I had some wheels built for me with Velox cloth rim tape. Unfortunately the spokes had been dipped in oil to ease spoke tightening (I use vaseline for this reason). The oil then over a peroid of time, continued to seep through the tape and soften the inner tubes. There appearance was not disimilar to yours.

Anyway, one day there was a loud bang :o :shock: .....thankfully whilst the bike was just sitting in the hallway. Inspection revealed where the tube had ripped at one of these soft expanded spots.
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

I had a actually dusted it with baby powder. The rim tape is not cloth like velox, but it does have a a shiny plastic woven appearance. I agree that it looks like the tube stuck to it. Am now using butyl inners which in fact are lighter than the latex ones. They ride firmer and will probably be more reliable.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Redvee wrote:It looks like that the pattern ferom the rim tape has transferred to the tube. Latex tubes being more flxible than butyl tubes.

But there is no regular periodicity to the marks in the photograph. Wouldn't you expect the peaks to be where the spoke holes are in a doubled wall rim? And the bit nearer the valve seems to have a different pattern again. Could it be solvent related, or a material incompatibility with the rim tape?
Roger_H

Post by Roger_H »

I realise this is an old thread but did it ever go anywhere?

Yesterday I put two Silca latex tubes in the bin with similar puckering failures (in some parts the puckering was more checkered but just a regular pattern in others).

The tubes were 25 mm and the tyres were 25mm Vittoria Corsa SC's.

One tyre was onto a Shamal (c17 - clincher rim) and the other onto a Bora One 50 (again c17).

Neither had rim tapes but the tubes had been very liberally dusted with talc before fitting. (I keep a plastic bag with baby powder in it specifically to shake new tubes in it and give a really good coating.)

From what I could see on positioning the puckering was on the base of the tube where it had been in contact with the rim.

To note:
- I had had similar issues with Michelin latex tubes about 10 years ago and moved to butyl for a time (those were on OP rims fitted with a sticky-backed cloth rim tape).
- I don't recall any such issues years ago with latex tubes with my 27" HP winter/touring wheels.

I looks as if the issue has been caused by the latex adhering to the rim and now allowing uniform stretching - but that's clearly not based on a thorough examination/trial.

Has anyone got any further in understanding the real cause or how to prevent?
Roger_H

Post by Roger_H »

Just to also note:
- like the original photo there was a very strong periodicity to the puckering where it appeared on the rim (approx 1/3")
- the puckering was similar on the Michelin and Silca tubes noting the Michelin had been mounted above rim tape and the Silca tubes straight onto the rim bed (one alloy, one carbon).
- I had reverted to Micheli but go clarity.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I don’t know what causes it but my Challenge latex tubes do the same over time. They’re run at about 35psi on rims with Velox tape and lots of talc. It marks the beginning of the end of them which I just have to suck up as they give a beautiful ride.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I've had the same experience with latex tubes and I never use tyre levers to either fit or remove tyres.