"PAUL'S" thumbies / "KELLY" take-offs for skinflints

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: "PAUL'S" thumbies / "KELLY" take-offs for skinflints

Post by RickH »

fatboy wrote:Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I'm wondering what the Tirimasu extension bar diameter is? Are they 23.8 or 22.2. I am putting together a hack bike and I'm wondering if I could mount a grip shifter on one?

The bars of the Tiramasus are 22mm.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I thought it was about time I resurected this thread.
Ive been trying to get midge bars, disc brakes, tektro RL520 brake levers and gear changing all working together on the same bike as a bit of an experiment, so I don't want to spend a lot until I decide if it worksor not. Bars, brakes and levers working fine, it's the gears that have been giving me some bother.
I've used some old thumb shifters in friction mode. They work, but notthe best.

I have some indexed shifter pods, but flat bar shifters and drop bars have different diameters.
So, Ive been welding, don't look too close, I'm not that good at welding.

this is what I have come up with. More when properly installed and tested.

If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Good work!

I think that the thumbshifters would work a lot better (not get in the way of your thumbs) if they were brought inwards, away from the hoods a little, on a small bracket. This way you wouldn't have a 'warty bulge' under the bar tape, either.

If you want to make a neat job of it, it is a good idea to get some bands from some brake levers and use those to mount your extension brackets. That way there won't be a bulge from the hose clip.

BTW I think that there is probably a really good place for flat bar STis to be mounted on drop bars, but in similar experiments I just haven't found it yet. I think it boils down to 'somewhere accessible from the tops' (in which case why not mount them under the bar clamp?) or 'somewhere near the brake hoods' (in which case the thumbshifters are not far off the right spot...?).

One thing that soon becomes blindingly obvious is that flat bar STIs are pretty large and heavy for what they do; thumbshifters are a lot smaller and neater!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
webber

Post by webber »

can you use barend levers with kellys take offs or do you need downtube levers
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

webber wrote:can you use barend levers with kellys take offs or do you need downtube levers

Yes B/end levers can be used no problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

For anyone wanting brackets, Planet X have 3TTT Tiramisu bars on sale for £2.99 at the moment. They say they are 25.4mm but they said that when I bought some a while back & they turned out to be 23.8mm (? The right size for the non bulge part of drop bars).

They could also be used to make a bar-centre accessory mount bar with a section of 22mm tube.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

RickH wrote:For anyone wanting brackets, Planet X have 3TTT Tiramisu bars on sale for £2.99 at the moment. They say they are 25.4mm but they said that when I bought some a while back & they turned out to be 23.8mm (? The right size for the non bulge part of drop bars).

They could also be used to make a bar-centre accessory mount bar with a section of 22mm tube.

Rick.

I used some on my drop bars ok - they are 23.8.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Source of brackets here also.....thanks, R2....http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=111572

for no particular reason, I think i have now worked out how to do this whole thing in your average shed......sketches to follow!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I did say it was a sketch!
The square that downtube/bar end levers fit on is 12mm square. Aluminium Warehouse sell 12mm square alloy bar, so the levers will plug on to the end of that.
You need an M5 thread for the screw that retains the lever, the easiest way to get that is to drill the bar to take an M5 threaded cross dowel (most are M6 thread) .....Shimano's M5 screw probably won't be long enough, but Westfield Fasteners have a huge array of screws, and different diameter washers to fit the L & R lever centres.
The body of the thing is rectangular alloy tube from Aluminium Warehouse, shaped to fit the bars, and drilled to take the 12mm square bar.
It fixes to the bar just like a drop bar brake lever, with a band and a bolt. I use some rather nice stainless P clips (Westfield) for the band, straightened out and re-bent into a loop. Another M5 cross dowel and an M5 bolt drilled through the 12mm square bar finish the fixing kit.
You need a cable stop, maybe with a cable adjuster like a sidepull brake?
Russell

Post by Russell »

Looking back it appears that I have not posted my take on using flar bar shifters on drops (OK, these are not drops but the principle would work).

I used these for a 20ml commute every working day for over two years and absolutely loved them.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Kelly take-offs now available from SJSC for only £70 a pair!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:Kelly take-offs now available from SJSC for only £70 a pair!

:shock:
Though I've paid half of that for s/hand ones.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

After two and a half years successfully running my Thorn Audax Mk3 with an Alfine 8 set up, I decided it was time for a change and have gone down the 1x11 route, with a twist.

Basically I wanted MTB low gearing for the hilly terrain around here and also to retain my drop bars.
Compatibility and cost issues between road and MTB components meant a bit of blue sky thinking was required.

I've gone for a Sunrace 11-46 cassette (£49) with a Shimano SLX M7000 derailleur (£42).

Road shifters ('brifters') were an option but even 2nd hand on ebay tend to be in the £80-£100 ballpark and then also need a Jtek Shiftmate (£30) or similar to work with the MTB derailleur.

MTB trigger shifter is only around £29, so the cost savings were significant going with them. Problem is they don't fit drop bars and I wanted to be able to shift gears from the hoods.

A bit of problem solving came up with the following solution which works well.

Shimano SLX M7000 i spec B shifter mounted vertically to a Decathlon seatpost clamp (made to fit with some lighting bracket rubber shims) around the bars as shown in the photos.
Fully enclosed cabling run from shifter to derailleur along top tube and down seatstay.

New brake levers are Tektro RL340, around £13 from ebay retailers.

Been out for three 30 mile rides now and the set up works well.

IMG_20170312_193455.jpg

IMG_20170312_193422.jpg

IMG_20170312_193351.jpg

IMG_20170312_193317.jpg
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Update

I tried this setup on my mountain bike, Midge bars , but didn't like it.

Tried it on my commuter, but the angles of the Midge bars, shifters and levers hurt my hands.

I then put on normal drop bars, but I couldn't find the right position for the shifters.

So I then tried this

Image Image

Difficult finding a brake lever/shifter band clamp for the home made shifter mount.

I've been using this set up for a few months now, and it works very well.
Can't shift from the drops, but that doesn't bother me, and hasn't caused me any problems.
I might remake the mount slightly shorter
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Neilo wrote:Difficult finding a brake lever/shifter band clamp for the home made shifter mount.
Try using a single downtube lever mount. It is what I did in the 1970s/80s when riding track. I could ride to the track and then easily remove the brake lever which had a gear lever band fitted hence the fixing screw was external to the brake lever. The point is that the downtube band fitted the handlebars, so you might be able to make up a method of attaching your gear lever to it.