Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Pictures of your tents.

Post by andrew_s »

Cowsham wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:34pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:01pm Hi,
I know its already been mentioned-

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TEVA1P/za ... cking-tent
That looks useful -- is there a porch ground sheet available?
It appears to come as inner, outer, and footprint (plus poles & pegs), with the footprint covering the porch floor as well as underneath the inner groundsheet. Same as the Akto footprint really, as is the size and configuration of the tent as a whole.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

andrew_s wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 12:54am
Cowsham wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:34pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:01pm Hi,
I know its already been mentioned-

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TEVA1P/za ... cking-tent
That looks useful -- is there a porch ground sheet available?
It appears to come as inner, outer, and footprint (plus poles & pegs), with the footprint covering the porch floor as well as underneath the inner groundsheet. Same as the Akto footprint really, as is the size and configuration of the tent as a whole.
Looks the job and price not bad either. If at some stage I decided to do a round Ireland trip I'd probably go with something like this sort of thing.

My usual thing is to ride somewhere set up camp for a week or two and explore so I use a heavy tent but constantly moving I'd need something a bit lighter.
I am here. Where are you?
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

The tent is modelled on the Hilleberg Akto so these instructions are largely applicable.

Of note is driving pegs in at a roughly 45deg angle and getting them all the way in.

Reinforcing tie out points with a sewing machine is well worth it on Wild Country (and other manufacturer) tents, this is where they typically fail in moderate to high winds.

https://docs.hilleberg.net/pitching/H11 ... 012219.pdf

https://youtu.be/yw4OMsrkenU
Thanks nsew, useful info. There are various tents of this design, and I suspect some of the less good aspects of mine have happened because otherwise they would be too similar to another manufacturer's tent, rather than for good design reasons.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

This is our new tent https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

An absolute game changer for us. Loads of room for two with plenty of room in the sleeping area for all our clothes as well as beds etc. The vestibule is cavernous allowing us room to store all our bags, footwear etc leaving plenty of room for getting in and out and also the ability to cook under cover (very useful when we were camping in the Lake District with constant rain). Totally waterproof in very wet and windy conditions. Total weight including footprint (measured by me) exactly 3.0kg, compared to our Saunders Spacepaker Plus with footprint at 2.8kg. For an extra 200g the extra space and comfort is astounding. There is also a two man version but I wanted the extra space, headroom and two doors that the 2-3 man version offers. We've just had two weeks touring with it with pretty mixed weather. It is quicker to pitch than the Saunders as the inner tent remains attached to the outer. I cannot recommend this tent too highly. And at £180 it is a bargain.
Attachments
IMG_20210806_172026.jpg
IMG_20210814_092600.jpg
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 1:54pm This is our new tent https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

An absolute game changer for us. Loads of room for two with plenty of room in the sleeping area for all our clothes as well as beds etc. The vestibule is cavernous allowing us room to store all our bags, footwear etc leaving plenty of room for getting in and out and also the ability to cook under cover (very useful when we were camping in the Lake District with constant rain). Totally waterproof in very wet and windy conditions. Total weight including footprint (measured by me) exactly 3.0kg, compared to our Saunders Spacepaker Plus with footprint at 2.8kg. For an extra 200g the extra space and comfort is astounding. There is also a two man version but I wanted the extra space, headroom and two doors that the 2-3 man version offers. We've just had two weeks touring with it with pretty mixed weather. It is quicker to pitch than the Saunders as the inner tent remains attached to the outer. I cannot recommend this tent too highly. And at £180 it is a bargain.
Great tent for so little weight
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 12:57am
iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 1:54pm This is our new tent https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Looks like a copy of a Hilleberg Nallo GT at a fraction of the price.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pedalsheep wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 2:13pm
Cowsham wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 12:57am

Looks like a copy of a Hilleberg Nallo GT at a fraction of the price.
Yes, although the Naturehike actually comes in slightly lighter. However I'm sure this is a reflection of the materials used and overall longevity of the tent. But at 5 times the price it would be impossible to justify the price difference for our 3 season usage.
nsew

Post by nsew »

The CCP thank you for your donation.
horizon

Post by horizon »

iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 1:54pm
An absolute game changer for us. Loads of room for two with plenty of room in the sleeping area for all our clothes as well as beds etc. The vestibule is cavernous allowing us room to store all our bags, footwear etc leaving plenty of room for getting in and out and also the ability to cook under cover (very useful when we were camping in the Lake District with constant rain).
Even a two man tent in this configuration will be a game changer. I have a Robens Voyager EX2 with the same formation. The vestibule puts about 700 gms on the weight of mine (more for yours) partly due to the extra pole etc. What changes is that you suddenly have space for all your stuff outside the sleeping area and a huge increase in privacy as well as somewhere to at least prepare food if not to cook. Your three person tent must indeed have been a revelation.

The downsides are obvious: increased weight, the tunnel design being less stable in a wind and extra faff to put it up. But you know these before you buy it and the advantages totally outweigh them. Now that I have experienced a tent with a vestibule I do wonder if any tent without one is worth having.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

horizon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 10:46pm
iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 1:54pm
An absolute game changer for us. Loads of room for two with plenty of room in the sleeping area for all our clothes as well as beds etc. The vestibule is cavernous allowing us room to store all our bags, footwear etc leaving plenty of room for getting in and out and also the ability to cook under cover (very useful when we were camping in the Lake District with constant rain).
Even a two man tent in this configuration will be a game changer. I have a Robens Voyager EX2 with the same formation. The vestibule puts about 700 gms on the weight of mine (more for yours) partly due to the extra pole etc. What changes is that you suddenly have space for all your stuff outside the sleeping area and a huge increase in privacy as well as somewhere to at least prepare food if not to cook. Your three person tent must indeed have been a revelation.

The downsides are obvious: increased weight, the tunnel design being less stable in a wind and extra faff to put it up. But you know these before you buy it and the advantages totally outweigh them. Now that I have experienced a tent with a vestibule I do wonder if any tent without one is worth having.
Yes even a bigger dome tent is better when there's a decent sized vestibule.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

horizon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 10:46pm
Even a two man tent in this configuration will be a game changer. I have a Robens Voyager EX2 with the same formation. The vestibule puts about 700 gms on the weight of mine (more for yours) partly due to the extra pole etc. What changes is that you suddenly have space for all your stuff outside the sleeping area and a huge increase in privacy as well as somewhere to at least prepare food if not to cook.
You don't need a formally extended porch for this, just a decent sized porch (or porches). A Spacepacker has plenty of porch space for all of the above, one reason I've never really got on with TN stuff is bar the extended porch versions their idea of a decent size strikes me as about big enough to leave your shoes in it. Hille designs tend to have excellent porch space, and Saunders' fly-first designs generally did too.

Our Luxury Palace is a Hille Kaitum 3, which is about the same size as a Nallo 3GT but has a large porch at each end rather than a huge porch at one end, and more volume in the inner relative to the ends. Each porch still has enough room to cook, get in and and out and stow plenty of gear, plus each of us has their own door and separate gear pile.
horizon wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 10:46pmThe downsides are obvious: increased weight, the tunnel design being less stable in a wind and extra faff to put it up. But you know these before you buy it and the advantages totally outweigh them. Now that I have experienced a tent with a vestibule I do wonder if any tent without one is worth having.
For Some Values Of "less stable"... the unsupported panels flap around a lot more but the poles are actually pretty stable in practice. The windiest night we've had in the Kaitum was a gale where we had no shelter (perched on the edge of a dune), and while the tunnel sections were moving around enough to create drafts inside the poles were hardly moving. I'd certainly accept "noisier", but "less stable" is not clear cut, though of course some designs will be more stable than others (e.g. DAC alloy poles vs. fibreglass poles, but that's implementation rather than format).
As for faff putting it up, that's down to implementation rather than the overall format. The Kaitum, like all Hille domes and tunnels, is designed to be easy for one person to put up in a gale wearing mittens. It's far easier to put up than e.g. a Quasar. On the other hand, when we were scoping out possibles we looked at a Nallo GT and a Lightwave t2xt which are both extended porch 3 pole tunnels, and while the Lightwave was nicer once you'd pitched it, it was a PITA to pitch compared to the Hille..

Also note that all-in-one or fly-first pitches can temporarily get as much porch as the whole fly by simply unhooking the inner, or some of it.. This is, for me, the real benefit of fly-first/all-in-one pitching rather than the usually mooted "keep the inner dry pitching". Want to fettle something on the bike out of the monsoon, or have the neighbours over for tea? Take down the inner and you've got plenty of dry garage/party space.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pjclinch wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:03am Also note that all-in-one or fly-first pitches can temporarily get as much porch as the whole fly by simply unhooking the inner, or some of it.. This is, for me, the real benefit of fly-first/all-in-one pitching rather than the usually mooted "keep the inner dry pitching".
Pete.
One of the features of the Naturehike Opalus that I like over the Spacepacker is the all-in-one pitching, however when we arrived at Glenridding on a very rainy day it occurred to me that it would be far from ideal to pitch the tent in the rain in the normal manner by laying out the footprint (getting it wet) and then pitching the outer and fly (which would certainly get the inner tent wet until the poles were fitted and erected). I then realised that I could go into the toilet block, unpack the tent and remove the inner tent thus allowing us to pitch the outer tent first and then fit the footprint and the inner under shelter. As it was there was a break in the rain which allowed us to pitch in the all-in-one manner.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Pay an insane amount of money for a Nallo GT and your footprint is attached for the all-in-one pitching! (though also the groundsheet is tough enough not to really need one)
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pjclinch wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 2:44pm Pay an insane amount of money for a Nallo GT and your footprint is attached for the all-in-one pitching! (though also the groundsheet is tough enough not to really need one)
With our Naturehike you can do likewise but I prefer to pack the footprint separately as the underside is usually damp. If the weather is decent just spreading it out on a dry patch of grass will dry it off in few minutes while I pack other bits.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

iandusud wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 11:49am
pjclinch wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 10:03am Also note that all-in-one or fly-first pitches can temporarily get as much porch as the whole fly by simply unhooking the inner, or some of it.. This is, for me, the real benefit of fly-first/all-in-one pitching rather than the usually mooted "keep the inner dry pitching".
Pete.
One of the features of the Naturehike Opalus that I like over the Spacepacker is the all-in-one pitching, however when we arrived at Glenridding on a very rainy day it occurred to me that it would be far from ideal to pitch the tent in the rain in the normal manner by laying out the footprint (getting it wet) and then pitching the outer and fly (which would certainly get the inner tent wet until the poles were fitted and erected). I then realised that I could go into the toilet block, unpack the tent and remove the inner tent thus allowing us to pitch the outer tent first and then fit the footprint and the inner under shelter. As it was there was a break in the rain which allowed us to pitch in the all-in-one manner.
On all the tunnel tents I have used (Hilleberg, Helsport, Coleman and Vango) I leave the footprint attached to the tent and roll them up as one. Makes it easier and quicker to pitch especially when moving on each day. If you do this you may need a larger tent bag but there are many cheap ones to be had.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".