rear light for luggage rack

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Philip_Rogers

Re: rear light for luggage rack

Post by Philip_Rogers »

One from this range http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bus ... uery=Busch Muller available from many local shops or online dealers. Get one of these plus a smaller flashing Cateye to go on the seat post just under the saddle.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

I have one of these http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s39p2266

It was recommended by Spa when I ordered a B+M toplight (that was out of stock) from them before Christmas, is is well made an has various flashing and steady modes.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Thanks very much Malaconotus for your detailed and helpful reply, I wasn't expecting pictures! That set up is certainly a great deal smarter than my scabby cable ties (altho the light does hide them fairly well). Much appreciated.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
CJ

Post by CJ »

tooley92 wrote:I have one of these http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s39p2266

It was recommended by Spa when I ordered a B+M toplight (that was out of stock) from them before Christmas, is is well made an has various flashing and steady modes.

+1 for the Raleigh City Bright. It seems as bright at the B&M Toplight, changing batteries is easier and the "build quality" i.e. the switch etc., seems much more reliable. And it wins over the Cat-Eye lamps by also having the obligatory rear reflector, plus it bolts on so you don't have to worry about it being nicked.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

CJ wrote: ... it bolts on so you don't have to worry about it being nicked.

In my part of the world though neds will switch on fixed lights on a parked bike - not such a problem these days with LEDs but I can remember when I had the old Ever Ready lights coming back several times to find the batteries flat. :(
smnewton

Post by smnewton »

Hi
Re lights for rear rack, i've used rubber door stops as spacers on the horizontal bars on the top of the rack.
The lights are moon led
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-gem-10-led ... ear-light/
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

CJ wrote:
tooley92 wrote:I have one of these http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s39p2266

+1 for the Raleigh City Bright. It seems as bright at the B&M Toplight, changing batteries is easier and the "build quality" i.e. the switch etc., seems much more reliable. And it wins over the Cat-Eye lamps by also having the obligatory rear reflector, plus it bolts on so you don't have to worry about it being nicked.

I've now bought one of these, used it for a few weeks and agree with CJs assessment.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

In my opinion (and I know a few share it) the best carrier mounted rear light available is the Infini Apollo.
Approved to German and French standards, so fully legal, and incorporates a full sized reflector.
Steady and flashing modes (long press of the button switches between them).
It has a "sensor" mode which is supposed to allow you to leave it to the bikes motion and the lack of light to operate it for you, but it has been found to eat batteries if you use that setting - but even without that, it's still an excellent light, you just need to remember to press the button twice when switching it on (the button cycles through off->sensor->on->off)
Fifteen Euros plus postage (which bumps it up a bit as that costs the same again, so best to combine the order with some other stuff as well).
It has proved difficult to obtain for a while, but I've found a source, and have a batch of them on order, to equip the rest of the family fleet.
I'll post a URL when mine have arrived :)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I've just replace the light on my rear rack and after reading some really positive reviews I got the Philips one. Philips seem to be doing some really good lights at the moment. I got the dynamo version but its also available as a battery version and its a stonkingly good light - nice a big illuminated area with a reflector in the middle makes it very visible from a long way off. Highly recommended although not the cheapest (and the links below are by far the cheapest source with quick delivery)

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k999/a ... light.html
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a59806 ... html?lg=en
roops70

Post by roops70 »

I have a rear carrier, in aluminium tubing, with no rear plate for a light bracket. i already have a light on the rear mudguard, but I would like a second on the rack (I like the Torch/Oxford rear light). A seatpost light is obliterated by the saddlebag when I use it.

Does anyone know an easy way of attaching the bracket to the rack?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

roops70

Post by roops70 »

Thanks tatanab. I have ordered the Busch & Mueller one (couldn't fathom out how the other worked). Waiting for it to come.

Will fit the Oxford rear light - works well on my other bike and only £4!
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

We could do with a thread dedicated rear lights.
I've amassed so many, and the mounts, whilst similar are all slightly different, and I'm always losing them when out, or they break, or fail from water ingress, or the nuts seize, or the conductive rubber switch stops making good contact. The thing that worries me the most is that some turn themselves off when going over a bump. It could be battery contact bounce, but the springs are well compressed, and I think the momentary break occurs elsewhere.

I noticed that there are loads in the pound shops. I even bought two for a pound. They look very similar to more expensive ones in design and construction, but I've given up with them because the plastic seems more brittle, and I've broken several mounts now. The fact that pound shop lights come close but aren't quite good enough makes me loath to pay £15+ for a rear light. Especially if people are saying even the B&M ones feel cheap.

I need 3 pannier mounting ones. I can see an advantage to having a rear light permanently bolted on, but I also like the idea of something like Malaconotus's Cateye adaptor. I might try making something out of plastic so that the belt clip on the back of most lights can be used.
I like to have two rear lights for redundancy, but that is hard when there is only one location on a rack for a light. It gives all the more impetus to make something.

Do Decathon sell cheap rear lights that I can buy a handful of in one go? Anything over £5 would make me weep on my reused teabag.